Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 87415 times)

Queen of Skulls

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #600 on: February 21, 2023, 05:22:10 PM »
Hey anyone know what juin techs fit the 218? I want to order them but I want to get the right ones
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

madmax

« Reply #601 on: February 21, 2023, 11:40:55 PM »
Hey anyone know what juin techs fit the 218? I want to order them but I want to get the right ones

You may want to see these videos where he puts together the same 218 frame with the Sensah components + disc brakes

https://www.youtube.com/@cycleandexplore/videos

Frankly, if I had to do this all over again & went with a disc brake, I would probably look at the SRAM AXS option for wireless shifting, because running 2 cables on each end of the handlebar was one of the most excruciating things I have ever done on a bike

and buy this cable routing kit for $16 (much cheaper than park tool & works just as well)...this will save you a lot of heartache, trying to fish cable through the frame

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5WVXRWL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #602 on: February 22, 2023, 02:32:48 PM »
You may want to see these videos where he puts together the same 218 frame with the Sensah components + disc brakes

https://www.youtube.com/@cycleandexplore/videos

Frankly, if I had to do this all over again & went with a disc brake, I would probably look at the SRAM AXS option for wireless shifting, because running 2 cables on each end of the handlebar was one of the most excruciating things I have ever done on a bike

and buy this cable routing kit for $16 (much cheaper than park tool & works just as well)...this will save you a lot of heartache, trying to fish cable through the frame

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5WVXRWL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think there is a better-cheaper way....

But thanks for the build guild... I dont know how much it will help as I am very handy... but never hurts to look.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 02:37:18 PM by Queen of Skulls »

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

coffeebreak

« Reply #603 on: February 22, 2023, 04:53:34 PM »

I think there is a better-cheaper way....

This is a great idea and it works. First hand experience when I converted my Fuji SL to semi internal. Wish I knew this while assembling the VB GF002.

hurburt

« Reply #604 on: February 24, 2023, 12:25:43 PM »
Heyo guys,
couple of weeks ago I posted some picture from a small crack in my seat tube. As Sebastian described I tried tightening and loosening the bolts the tiniest bit and see what happened. The crack actually widened, so no bueno...
I wrote to VB-Chris with some pictures. First he said it might only be surface level crack. But I could really tell it wasn't. Even tho it wasn't big I was way to concerned to ride down a hill with a Crack that moved slightly when tightening the bolts. But Chris pulled through and they send me a barebones Frame, which looks and fells pretty much identically to the old one. Just with bottle cage screws in black instead of silver. So I gues I will be rebuilding my bike then. Since the Crack appeared I have been riding the bike exclusively on my turbo trainer, because I was not comfy to go down hills or hit potholes with that crack...

Anyway can only support your opinion sebastian. This is a nice starting point in the world of building your own bikes, if you are ready to tamper and learn. And secondly I am also unsure if I will buy again, Yes they honored warranty, when I persisted, which is nice. But my bottle cages snapped and my garmin mount snapped when riding over normal road sufaces and a couple of cobbles... And lastly my seat tube cracked under the lower screw hole. I weigh 72 kg.
Idk just leaves a stale taste...

anyway, take care guys :)

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #605 on: February 24, 2023, 02:34:58 PM »

Anyway can only support your opinion sebastian. This is a nice starting point in the world of building your own bikes, if you are ready to tamper and learn. And secondly I am also unsure if I will buy again, Yes they honored warranty, when I persisted, which is nice. But my bottle cages snapped and my garmin mount snapped when riding over normal road sufaces and a couple of cobbles... And lastly my seat tube cracked under the lower screw hole. I weigh 72 kg.
Idk just leaves a stale taste...

anyway, take care guys :)

You might have gotten a bad batch of resin. Which does happen. There could be a ton of factor from bad batch to poor mixing.  So your new frame may never have an issues. And being that this problem seems to be limited to your bike.  and you are having so many issues with this frame. The frist thing that came to mind is resin issues. Personally I wouldnt ride that frame anymore at all.

Sebastian

« Reply #606 on: February 25, 2023, 12:24:33 AM »
Well, the Garmin mount and the bottle cages don’t say anything about the frame, do they? Or did the mounting inserts in the frame break or come loose?
I bought a Garmin mount from Chris that is perfectly fine. It’s made out of aluminium though and it’s probably not the lightest.

Still, I understand your frustration, hurburt. Next time around at least I’d probably avoid being amongst the first buyers of a newly issued VB frame and let them iron out their issues first.

Or go one step higher and buy from sellers like Carbonda. I got a Carbonda gravel fork for my steel frame that was still very affordable and absolutely flawless. Two years later it’s still going strong.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #607 on: February 25, 2023, 03:26:26 AM »
Well, the Garmin mount and the bottle cages don’t say anything about the frame, do they? Or did the mounting inserts in the frame break or come loose?
I bought a Garmin mount from Chris that is perfectly fine. It’s made out of aluminium though and it’s probably not the lightest.

Still, I understand your frustration, hurburt. Next time around at least I’d probably avoid being amongst the first buyers of a newly issued VB frame and let them iron out their issues first.

Or go one step higher and buy from sellers like Carbonda. I got a Carbonda gravel fork for my steel frame that was still very affordable and absolutely flawless. Two years later it’s still going strong.

My point is that carbon is not fool proof. their is a lot that can go bad.

madmax

« Reply #608 on: February 25, 2023, 11:03:54 AM »
Chris sent out the replacement 218 frame and it arrived here a few weeks later with no issues.
They stood by their warranty and also sent out extra screws/spacers etc when I requested them at no charge, so I have had a good experience with Velobuild

In my case the loose insert in the BB could have been caused by the local bike shop overturning the Campy UT cup way past the 35nm mark, even after I told them not to do that & caused problems

Other than minor issues, I think the frame is very good value for money & I would have no hesitation buying from Velobuild again
In fact I am purchasing an extra fork/seatpost/handlebar & will use that on the old frame & make that into an indoor trainer bike & move my components etc on to the new frame & enjoy it

mattgolt

« Reply #609 on: February 26, 2023, 12:52:44 PM »
Hi guys,

The Chrisses have been postponing my shipment over and over again. Originally it should've been sent out mid February. Is this normal?

Kr

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #610 on: February 26, 2023, 06:43:10 PM »
Hi guys,

The Chrisses have been postponing my shipment over and over again. Originally it should've been sent out mid February. Is this normal?

Kr

It may have to do with covid. and the shut downs china has. It effects the supply chain from making the needed materials to transportation.  So we all still need to be patent with how quickly we get our bikes.

JonMS

« Reply #611 on: February 28, 2023, 03:12:13 PM »

I put the F1s on mine.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 03:21:47 PM by JonMS »

mattgolt

« Reply #612 on: March 12, 2023, 09:41:30 AM »
Look who arrived on Friday. First look of the frame is good, the paint job is superb for 50€. I can confirm they still haven't fixed the issue with the bolt in the bottom bracket, but since I knew that was coming it was a job of a few minutes with a dremel.

Bottom bracket is aligned well, so I have just kicked off the orders for the other components. Now back to waiting untill they arrive.

Total delivery time was longer than expected though. Ordered 29th of Jan. Shipment on 25th of Feb. Delivery in Germany on 10th of March.

joegal

« Reply #613 on: March 12, 2023, 10:45:27 AM »

Total delivery time was longer than expected though. Ordered 29th of Jan. Shipment on 25th of Feb. Delivery in Germany on 10th of March.

Nice one, paintjob looks very good, especially for that price!

Which shipping method did you chose to Germany? Did you have to pay any additional duties or fees?

Thanks and greetings from Germany!  ;)

mattgolt

« Reply #614 on: March 12, 2023, 10:54:54 AM »
Which shipping method did you chose to Germany? Did you have to pay any additional duties or fees?

I wasn't aware you could chose different shopping. Mine says "EMS" on the invoice. The final delivery in Germany was done by DPD.

Apparently the shipping went through Belgium ans I didn't have to pay any additional fees other than the ~160€ that I paid to velobuild. Not sure if they are avoiding customs that way or if that already was included.