Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 79838 times)

Sebastian

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #690 on: July 07, 2023, 01:30:48 PM »
Like I said, I only bought the rims and built the wheels myself because I already had the hubs lying around. If you start from zero, I’d actually recommend buying a whole wheelset instead of individual parts because the pricing for a complete set is actually the better deal.

JonMS

« Reply #691 on: July 10, 2023, 10:57:19 AM »
They are replacing the frame. I will keep this updated if/when I get tracking information and frame.

Replacement frame has been shipped. I'll keep this updated as I get the replacement.

madmax

« Reply #692 on: July 10, 2023, 03:00:36 PM »
Replacement frame has been shipped. I'll keep this updated as I get the replacement.

Might as well spend the extra money & get a fork & seatpost & keep them around

JonMS

« Reply #693 on: July 24, 2023, 09:59:57 AM »
Might as well spend the extra money & get a fork & seatpost & keep them around

Good idea. I messaged them and asked.
Replacement frame came in today. Looks pretty good from what I can see. Rear axle inserts easier than previous frame. Much smoother. Still paint on bottom bracket threads, resin puddle in headset cups, rear brake holes are uneven. Not too far off my first one.

Sebastian

« Reply #694 on: July 26, 2023, 01:54:36 AM »
I've done 4000k now on this bike - well, about 1.5k on the new frame, the rest on the old one. I'm really really happy with it.
I've done an ultra event last weekend - 420km / 3600m of climbing in about 14h - part of it through the night. The bike felt really really comfy. It certainly isn't slow uphill and it just rolls so well on the flat and downhill. I've put an 28c Vittoria Corsa on the back, which measures pretty much exactly 30mm. The front is a 25c which measures 28mm. Very comfy setup and still super fast.

At least on the rim brake frame, 30mm in the back is the limit IMO. You could put a 32mm in there, but it gets pretty tight at the rim brake mounts on each side of the seat stays. Clearance at the chain stays is still fine.

Serge_K

« Reply #695 on: July 26, 2023, 03:10:30 AM »
I've done 4000k now on this bike - well, about 1.5k on the new frame, the rest on the old one. I'm really really happy with it.
I've done an ultra event last weekend - 420km / 3600m of climbing in about 14h - part of it through the night. The bike felt really really comfy. It certainly isn't slow uphill and it just rolls so well on the flat and downhill. I've put an 28c Vittoria Corsa on the back, which measures pretty much exactly 30mm. The front is a 25c which measures 28mm. Very comfy setup and still super fast.

At least on the rim brake frame, 30mm in the back is the limit IMO. You could put a 32mm in there, but it gets pretty tight at the rim brake mounts on each side of the seat stays. Clearance at the chain stays is still fine.

Very nice. What happened with the frame swap?

Sebastian

« Reply #696 on: July 26, 2023, 06:26:09 AM »
Very nice. What happened with the frame swap?

I had to redo the rear brake housing and cabling. With the frame being fully internally routed, that meant tearing apart the headset and pretty much rerouting all cables and housings. When I did that, I thought I might as well build up the new frame that had been lying around for months. The old one is now hanging on the wall.

JonMS

« Reply #697 on: July 27, 2023, 07:44:21 AM »
Good idea. I messaged them and asked.
Replacement frame came in today. Looks pretty good from what I can see. Rear axle inserts easier than previous frame. Much smoother. Still paint on bottom bracket threads, resin puddle in headset cups, rear brake holes are uneven. Not too far off my first one.

150$ USD for the following
Fork
Seatpost 0 degree offset
Seatpost clamp/wedge
Complete Headset

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #698 on: July 29, 2023, 01:26:02 PM »
I just started my built and the hanger bolt for the groupset I bought a while back from someone on this forum.... thread is marred. I just ruined one of my hangers.

Good thing I got 5 more. And I going to try to re tap it and get a new one.

Also I seem to have a good BB alignment. Woo Now to get the brakes faced.   
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 03:19:38 PM by Queen of Skulls »
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #699 on: August 01, 2023, 08:12:19 PM »
Please use Jagwire foam over the cables...I cannot stress this enough.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C32KBG9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both Sebastian & I have the same frame & there is a rattle in the front on mine & it can get really annoying, so be liberal with the foam & you can always trim it later

Hey I finally got the foam. So where is the best places for it besides the down tube and stays? front fork? the handle bars?
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

Serge_K

« Reply #700 on: August 02, 2023, 06:40:07 AM »
Hey I finally got the foam. So where is the best places for it besides the down tube and stays? front fork? the handle bars?

fork and bar, dont even try, cannot possibly fit.
In the frame, i built 4 bikes recently, have used foam on most, can't tell any difference. Use some WD40 type spray to help the foam slide onto the housing, can get very tight and super frustrating otherwise.

Sebastian

« Reply #701 on: August 02, 2023, 08:28:32 AM »

I used it mainly in the downtube. It does make a difference on my VB218. I built the first frame without foam liner and it rattled like hell. I also used it on the rear brake housing through the top tube. But that doesn't concern you on a disc frame.

JonMS

« Reply #702 on: August 08, 2023, 12:39:58 PM »
150$ USD for the following
Fork
Seatpost 0 degree offset
Seatpost clamp/wedge
Complete Headset

To my surprise, my items were shipped within the same week as payment. I should have them this week as they are already in the USA. I have some updates on my original frame I will share when my additional components arrive.

JonMS

« Reply #703 on: August 14, 2023, 02:56:25 PM »
Big update time.

My original frame was discovered to have a crack in the seat stay on the drive side. I opened a claim with velobuild and they shipped a replacement which I got about a month later (they had to make me one since my size is XXL).
During that time I looked into fixing the frame like others have done. Ended up following through with fixing it and kept riding it while I waited for a replacement. Once replacement frame was here I decided to buy the extra goodies sans handlebar to have a second bike. Those items have arrived and I will be slowly building up a second bike through the fall. Pictures below will include the carbon repair job I performed and my replacement frame getting painted.

Original frame repair

Replacement frame paint job

neobiker

« Reply #704 on: August 14, 2023, 11:45:47 PM »
Big update time.

My original frame was discovered to have a crack in the seat stay on the drive side. I opened a claim with velobuild and they shipped a replacement which I got about a month later (they had to make me one since my size is XXL).
During that time I looked into fixing the frame like others have done. Ended up following through with fixing it and kept riding it while I waited for a replacement. Once replacement frame was here I decided to buy the extra goodies sans handlebar to have a second bike. Those items have arrived and I will be slowly building up a second bike through the fall. Pictures below will include the carbon repair job I performed and my replacement frame getting painted.

Original frame repair

Replacement frame paint job

This is some next level of DIY