Author Topic: Spcycle hardtail M028  (Read 1351 times)

Lovewookie

Spcycle hardtail M028
« on: April 28, 2022, 05:26:08 AM »
looking at this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003519445706.html as a XC hardtail.

geometry is perhaps a few years behind, but that suits me well. like the short chainstays and the frame reach seems OK for me to run a 70mm stem on. Angles are decent enough for XC duties and I'd probably run it with a 120mm fork so knockin those numbers back a little.

not seen a huge amount about Spcycle, what are they like to deal with?

Zomb1e

Re: Spcycle hardtail M028
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 07:46:57 AM »
FM199-B frame from Seraph (manufactured by Tantan) costs 100 bucks less and have a bit more progressive geometry in terms of reach/front center.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/4001234101785.html

Lovewookie

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 09:50:23 AM »
I've seen those before, but always considered the large size a touch small for me. The reach isn't far off my current (old) cotic solaris and that's right on the edge of where I'd want to be.

if there was a XL of that, it would be great, however I suspect with the way the numbers progress the seat tube would be too big. I find genuine 21" bikes too tall for my odd shape.

Lovewookie

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 03:49:15 AM »
Well, it arrived a week ago and I managed to get it built up over the weekend, and ridden a little. it's the XL, 21", measures up 20.25" centre BB to top of seat tube.

Bought via aliexpress, ordered 29th April, but ordered it painted so expected a bit more of a delay. finally delivered 13th June, though it should have been a few days before but parcelforce in the UK are rubbish.
I was a bit late getting it built as it needed a boost chainring. Thought I may get away without, as I have with a few boost frames, but no, non boost hits the chainstay. Even with boost there's only a couple of mm clearance when running a 34T, wouldn't want to go bigger/oval, but think the recommended max for the frame is 32T anyway. This also means that the boost wheel adapters for 142 wheels doesn't really work that well and the chain drops when on the large sprocket. Normally not a problem, just use another spacer on the disc, move both axle spacers over to disc side and re-dish, that is unless you have the centrelock boost adapter, like me, then you can't shift the disc over any further :-/ it'll need a proper boost wheel then....

Anyway, not a bling build, all parts I've had on various bikes over the years. mostly XT, mix of 10 speed cassette, 11 speed mech, and 11 speed sram gripshift, manitou minute's at 120mm that need a reshim as they're set to a very basic trail damping (one of the great things about ABS+ damper is tunability)

Rides like a bike. short stays are a bonus, makes it easy to lift up and over things. Relatively roomy, have a 80mm stem in there, but will play about with different ones to see what works best. Steering with the 120mm forks is quite neutral, though I'll need to see what it's like once I've fettled the forks a bit more to give me a little more support.
Broke a couple of strava PR's, on descents and traverses, so pretty capable. I've not got the legs to better some of my climbing PR's, but it's quick all round and feels solid under power. ;-)