Author Topic: VeloBuild Headset Play Issue Using Separate Stem/Handlebar: Resolved.  (Read 8069 times)

Sikter89

Re: VeloBuild Headset Play Issue Using Separate Stem/Handlebar: Resolved.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2022, 02:07:35 PM »
Sooo, just as Chewy4u before me, I solved the issue with Deda compression ring, which I bought here:
https://dedaelementi.com/compression-ring-dcr-headset

The shipping was 3x the cost of the ring, but it did work. Well, let's not get ahead of myself, I did not test it outside yet, but the obvious play I got with the original C-ring is totally gone.

What I did with the Deda C-ring is removed the amount of material from the top to match the original C-ring in height, and then just a little bit more (less than 0.5mm). You can test this if you lay them side by side on the table and then they should be the same height. I wish I had taken a little bit more material since I still have a small gap between the frame and the headset cover. I have not used any additional microspacers.

I tried to remove the excess material myself with the saw and files but it was hard and I could not get it to be perfectly straight. I just took it to a local key maker shop that had a spinning grinding tool - it took him 10 minutes to finish.

I think what Chewy4u said makes sense - the original C-ring just has too small of a radius which does not fix the fork steerer tube in place. This is a fault by Velobuild and they should fix this I think. I lost almost 3 weeks fixing this in which I could not ride my new bike. Hope Chris from Velobuild sees this and makes sure to fix it for the next buyers.

coffeebreak

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2022, 01:35:29 PM »
I received the C clip without tiny notches as mentioned earlier by vb. However the problem now is that the C clip is thicker than it needs to sit the cap flush to frame. With the clip in place my cap sits about 1.5mm above the frame. Without the clip its perfectly flush. I'm thinking of doing one of following two :

1. Sand some portion of the inside of the cap that sits on C clip.

2. Sand C clip itself and make it thinner.

Or I would go and look for a thin C clip at LBS (not many hopes). Attaching pictures of the clip, cap with clip showing the gap and finally cap without clip showing flush fitment - in that order.

eucalyptus

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2022, 02:33:14 PM »
There is one available on Aliexpress
if I measured correctly it should be 3.55mm thick meaning 3.55mm of material above the bearing.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004250632544.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.69031802v6R3BF

You could measure yours, how much it sticks up above the bearing.

I would not really recommend sanding down either the ring or the headset cap. Although if you have a drill press you could! My headset cap only had a 2mm deep cut from the beginning, I also had a compression ring slightly too thick so I used my drill press to evenly remove 1mm of material just like a CNC machine

coffeebreak

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2022, 06:13:24 PM »
Thanks for the link! I looked at this and it's about 6.1mm thick while the one supplied by VB is 11.1mm and if my calculations are right I need something about 8.5mm thick overall. Sorry to bother you but when you say 3.55mm of material above the bearing, which section of the ring do you mean? Attaching pics of two sections of my ring, it's kinda hard to explain lol

eucalyptus

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2022, 06:33:40 PM »
Haha no worries, you tried  ;D You measured everything but the important part haha

Try this  :) Both like the way you did it and then also by putting the compression ring on the bearing then you can measure from the bearing shield to the top. See if you get the same measurements by doing both methods.

Apart from that, that compression ring looks really nice to be honest. Is it an upgraded version by Velobuild? It looks nice because the sleeve goes through the bearing meaning it gives more contact area on the steerer tube! Really nice. As you said, the one I linked is very thin but should do the work. Okay maybe not SUPER nice because it is very open in the front.. But I like the thickness

There is also this ring, it wont fit your headset spacer but it is a really nice ring as it gives maximum support on the steerer. Although this one is thicker, 8mm in total and 4.5mm above the bearing (the other one was much slimmer at 3.55mm).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002628785249.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.2cf21802GaXbPi
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 06:43:23 PM by eucalyptus »

coffeebreak

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2022, 07:05:40 PM »
Oh dear :D okay thanks again. That section is 2.9mm thick which means the Alix ring is probably not going to help. Also measured both the bearings just in case they were of different thicknesses but they aren’t so no dice there either.

And yes the C ring is really nicely made..has a piano black finish and nice heft to it. Good machining. It came supplied with the frameset by VB.

eucalyptus

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2022, 07:23:30 PM »
Oh dear :D okay thanks again. That section is 2.9mm thick which means the Alix ring is probably not going to help. Also measured both the bearings just in case they were of different thicknesses but they aren’t so no dice there either.

And yes the C ring is really nicely made..has a piano black finish and nice heft to it. Good machining. It came supplied with the frameset by VB.

Hmm 2.9mm is something I haven't seen before, that is very slim.

You could file it down but make sure you do it evenly. Like on a table top or if you have a grinder tool.

Before you do anything, assemble everything again, make sure the bearings are seated nicely in the frame and that the races in the frames is clean, Chinese frames have tendency to look kinda messy. Then put on your C ring, headset cap, stem and top and put preload on everything which will push/pull it all together. If you tighten it down and still have a noticeable gap then go ahead and file it down :)

coffeebreak

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2022, 08:49:57 PM »
Yup. Going to assemble whole thing and see although I almost did it once and that’s when I noticed the gap. Also realized that sanding C ring isn’t going to help. It has to be inner side of the cap which rests on C ring and sanding that particular area evenly is going to be difficult since its in a recess. Hmmm now I gotta think on taking external help.

carbonazza

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2022, 03:20:29 AM »
Did you ask velobuild what they think?

coffeebreak

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2022, 10:34:48 AM »
Sent a mail, yet to hear back from them.
In the mean time as I explore options apart from sanding the other thread about headset play has given another idea - adding micro spacers. If I find one with exact thickness as the gap between cap and frame it would be great or add multiple thin ones.

mesosbrodleto

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2022, 03:51:47 AM »
I am also trying to install the headset in the VBR 177 frame with the integrated handlebar. My compression plug keeps pulling up after few kilometers of riding, resulting in headset play. My C-ring is the new one. I have tighten the compression plug to 8 Nm, added carbon gripping paste between fork tube and stem. When I tight the headset cap, everything is ok. Then after few km of riding, the headset play comes up again.

carbonazza

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2022, 08:19:28 AM »
I am also trying to install the headset in the VBR 177 frame with the integrated handlebar. My compression plug keeps pulling up after few kilometers of riding, resulting in headset play. My C-ring is the new one. I have tighten the compression plug to 8 Nm, added carbon gripping paste between fork tube and stem. When I tight the headset cap, everything is ok. Then after few km of riding, the headset play comes up again.

Tighten a bit more the compression plug until it stays in place, dry without carbon paste.
Try maybe another one if you have.
And maybe tighten a bit more the stem on the steerer tube too.
Normally once tightened you could even remove the headset cap and it shouldn't move.

carbonazza

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2022, 08:22:20 AM »
Sent a mail, yet to hear back from them.
In the mean time as I explore options apart from sanding the other thread about headset play has given another idea - adding micro spacers. If I find one with exact thickness as the gap between cap and frame it would be great or add multiple thin ones.

From time to time a 0.25 spacer or two, between the compression ring and dust seal, are necessary to have the dust seal flush with the frame.

coffeebreak

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2022, 08:54:15 AM »
From time to time a 0.25 spacer or two, between the compression ring and dust seal, are necessary to have the dust seal flush with the frame.
Got you, thanks much!
From what I'm seeing I need at least four 0.25mm spacers. A quick Google search led me to 1.2, 1.5mm spacers too. May be a good idea to just order multiple thin ones with varying degrees of thickness. Any particular brand that is a perfect fit that you know?

eucalyptus

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2022, 01:25:53 PM »
This dude fabricated his own. Maybe ask if he can have one more done to sell?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/243368427271925/posts/625391669069597/