Chinese Carbon MTB > 26er & 27.5 (650b)

Damn, cracked seat tube.

(1/5) > >>

FHS:
Just got my daughter's bike together and I noticed this. Tideace fm-001 26er. Pretty sure I cracked it trying to fit the seat post. I knew I was going to have to cut it down to size but I pushed it in too deep trying to mark a cut point. Honestly not sure if it cracked going in, or twisting it out. I think it's repairable. Just hoping I don't have to trash the frame.

Any thoughts are welcome, I'll even take a tongue lashing because I know better

carbonazza:
This should not happen by just putting the seatpost in.
Did you apply a lot of force?
Not sure this can be repaired unfortunately.
Maybe if you have a carbon repair shop around, ask them, but this could quickly become the price of a new frame.

Ask Tideace opinion, if they think this a defect?
Or if you're sure you caused it , delay your own bike I'm afraid, and get another frame for her.

FHS:
I emailed Eddy, but I'm not all that optimistic honestly. Even if there is a replacement or something in line, even shipping costs would probably make it not worth the effort.

We have a pretty good carbon repair place locally, but yeah, that's probably not worth it either. Just the cost of admission of going this route.

Mostly just wondering about the stresses in that area of a frame. She's 60 lbs soaking wet, riding around the neighborhood. I mostly concerned about propagation into the seat stay.

Zomb1e:
This should be a fairly simple repair and it can be done at home. All you need is sand paper, carbon fiber fabric and epoxy. Wet sanding should be preferred over dry (and if it is not possible, wear a respirator). Wrap upper part of seat tube with 3-4 layers of carbon fiber fabric (applying epoxy on each layer) after removing the paint, and this will be enough.

Also it will be a good idea to drill a small hole in the end of crack (you'll see where exactly it is located after sanding) to prevent further crack growth.

Kirkspants:
^If you have a dremel, preference is to grind a hole at the end of the crack; less damage by grinding/sanding carbon.

Was the seatpost super tight/loose when you installed it? Like the other reply, were you really reefing on it when you shoved it down?

Sorry for the bad luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version