Author Topic: Workswell WCB-R-306 Disc Brake - Who Sells It?  (Read 4992 times)

Kirkspants

Workswell WCB-R-306 Disc Brake - Who Sells It?
« on: May 22, 2022, 11:27:30 PM »
Hi all, I'm new as a user but have been reading for a long time. I spent 13-odd years working for a Trek/SBI/Cdale dealer and dove into the china frame journey with both eyes open and a Dremel at the ready.

My first bike was a Workswell R-146 gravel bike (Open UP ish). I love it. I have ridden the crap out of it. I had to dremel in a fresh rear hose entry port as the Open UP style head tube entry ports would pinch the hose with a low stem (used a 2007 Madone brake housing entry port, even tapped the tiny screw in the frame). Also, had to dremel around the bb shell to get a power meter to fit. After sanding out and hammering in my lower headset bearing, it was ready to go with a Campy EPS drivetrain running a 52x36 and an 11-40 cassette. Can get up anything!

I'm now wanting to dabble in disc brake road bikes and found the Workswell WCB-R-306 Disc Brake. I am hunting for something tarmac/emonda/supersix-ish: light, FSA ACR compatible internal routing, and some aero.

My question is: does anyone know who is the retail seller of the 306 frame is? Workswell can't sell it in the USA due to exclusivity clause... I've seen some impressive framespotting here and was wondering if anyone could help me out... or! offer some good alternatives!

Thanks for reading this far; I'll gladly shut up now.

Kirkspants

Re: Workswell WCB-R-306 Disc Brake - Who Sells It?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 11:53:24 PM »
I think it is the Blue Chinook G2. Wow that's spendy.

Well, anyone have fun suggestions for alternatives? I have seen the hubbub about the VB-R-168, but am hoping to find a little lighter.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 08:34:09 AM »
Adapt AT-B01? I don’t think they do B2C but you could try asking

Kirkspants

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 12:16:35 PM »
Oooh nice spot that looks pretty cool! I sent them an email, see what happens. Thanks!!

Diverse

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 04:19:33 PM »
Any real world experience with this frame? Thinking about different options including this one

stevienoob

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 04:00:34 PM »
Any real world experience with this frame? Thinking about different options including this one

Can't speak for the 306, but I own the 309 (less aggressive geo and no dropped seat stays) and it's great. Good communication with the company.

diefobo

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 09:38:23 AM »
Anyone tested this frame?

elmtree

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 12:38:59 PM »
Oooh nice spot that looks pretty cool! I sent them an email, see what happens. Thanks!!

Did you ever get a reply from them?

radfactor

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 07:01:49 AM »
I manage to contact the adapt salesperson. She informed that AT-B01 is not to be sold direct to consumer.
However, she offers FM49-DB which has the same geometry as MMR Adrenaline Aero. It's nice-looking frame.
http://www.adapt-bikes.com/Products-detail?product_id=94

Velovelo

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 02:26:05 AM »

Looks like a VB-R-068

eucalyptus

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 04:34:25 AM »
I manage to contact the adapt salesperson. She informed that AT-B01 is not to be sold direct to consumer.
However, she offers FM49-DB which has the same geometry as MMR Adrenaline Aero. It's nice-looking frame.
http://www.adapt-bikes.com/Products-detail?product_id=94

That is a seriously good looking frame, wow!

Is it a copy of the S-works Venge 2020? Looks amazing! But I guess it is very heavy...

radfactor

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 06:24:00 AM »
The full build will look like this, the first picture.
However, WCB-R-306 looks better in my opinion, second picture. R-306 looks like a modern all-rounder aero.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2022, 07:43:13 AM »
They are both hot..
The 306 frame comes to 790$ currently. In Germany it's possible to order it. I am sorry for you in USA. Sending to Germany and then to US sounds like shot in the head with double shipping and taxes.

Unfortunately workswell stopped offering 380mm handlebars, so my (bit stupid) idea of a new bike collapsed somehow. At least at the moment. I don't want to buy a mixture where I then have to fight for the fitting of headset, dustcap, spacers and handlebar.
I did that once,  it was really crappy to get a nice solution. in the end I bought one headset that was close and grinded everything away that didn't fit. It's nice now, but it was ugly for half a year.

badIuck

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 01:04:50 PM »
Anyone ever bought this frame? About to pull the trigger as it seems to be the only option for a proper roadbike with 34mm tire clearance for my training/commuting wheelset. Could be the perfect do it all bike. Cant decide on the colour though...I think it will be one of the chameleon colours they offer.

Only gripe is its really quite expensive...incl handlebar, seatpost, paint, duty free shipping to Germany 1300$...but I would expect the quality to be much better than velobuold/dengfu etc?

Pedaldancer

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 06:29:53 PM »
Anyone ever bought this frame? About to pull the trigger as it seems to be the only option for a proper roadbike with 34mm tire clearance for my training/commuting wheelset. Could be the perfect do it all bike. Cant decide on the colour though...I think it will be one of the chameleon colours they offer.

Only gripe is its really quite expensive...incl handlebar, seatpost, paint, duty free shipping to Germany 1300$...but I would expect the quality to be much better than velobuold/dengfu etc?

I own a bike with#12 . It's basically almost black ???
In the sun you can guess the slight purple gold, wouldn't recommend it if you really want color on your bike

Purple blue is better, have seen 2 Workswell frames last year
The 306 is interesting, but the SL version is not available for single frames... and with this it's not interesting anymore unfortunately. And 4 years ago they offered 380mm handlebars... not available anymore.. also not so nice for me, they just focused on the more common sizes.

If the quality is better than Velobuild or Dengfu?
. Don't know, didn't have one of them, but I read a lot of concerns abut Velobuild. So I guess it's at least better than Velobuild
If you go with internal routing you should use very decent bearings.

In will go with flybike 1136. It's lighter, has a circular seat post and is available by end of February.