Author Topic: VB-R-066 D Build  (Read 5875 times)

Madcrazy10

VB-R-066 D Build
« on: June 02, 2022, 10:26:29 AM »
I'm a bit surprised there isn't a build thread on this frame on here, or a recent one at least.  I purchased this XS frame from Velobuild for my wife as she needed an upgrade to her 2013 Aluminum Giant Avail with 8 speed Sora.  I ordered on May 11 2022 and received the frame on May 25 2022, so pretty fast turn around which surprised me actually.  This frame almost looks identical in geometry to my Canyon Endurace CF SL 7. 

Along with the frame I purchased 2 custom paint colors (pink & chameleon blue) which actually turned ok.  The fade job between colors could be better and maybe we would have picked a lighter chameleon color as the blue tends to look almost black if it isn't light out.  However in the sunlight it does sparkle a bit which is nice. 

I also picked up:
$5 carbon spacer pack
$39 carbon VB-HB-009 handlebars (which i asked for 400mm and I believe they sent 420mm, which is OK and it still works but wasn't told ahead of time)
$35 ST-002 80mm carbon fiber stem (right before shipping Chris did send me an email stating he's substituting this stem for the stem that comes along with their 2021 separate handlebar/stem combo.  I didn't get this email till the next morning after shipping occurred and thought it might be ok.  Turns out it was not.  This stem is big, bulky and has a negative angle it seems.  My wife didn't like it too much.  I just ended up buying an aluminum stem from Amazon for $15 and used that.  Chris is being awesome though and said he'd refund me the cost of the stem so I'm happy)

I got a used 105 fully hydraulic groupset off craigslist for $525 which was an awesome find.  The crank is a 52/36 with 172.5mm cranks which might be a bit big for her but time will tell.  It came with a 11-34t cassette, chain, F&R D's, shifters & calipers.  I did have to buy little things like a bottom bracket, a spacer for one of the calipers, 160mm rotors, bottle cages, bar tape etc.

The wheels are from Elite Wheels that I had custom ordered in 50mm depth & 12k twill pattern & 1420 spokes.  I asked them for a quiet hub but it's still pretty loud.  The tires are GP5000's with pink latex tubes.   

I didn't build it as there is a guy up my street that sorta runs a bike shop out of his garage.  He charged me $150 to put it all together and that included all gear cables, hydro fluid (I had the hydro cables), installing the groupset, BB  etc.  I thought that was a pretty good price but I do wish I had the patience to learn myself. Maybe, if I end up doing another one...

The weight was a bit disappointing though.  I know the 105 r7020 groupset isn't the lightest but the builder said it weighed 17.9lbs/8.1kgs.  Maybe it was wishful thinking but I thought it would have weighed maybe 7.7kg or even less.  The seat is temporary as we still haven't decided on one to get so maybe that will lower the weight but not sure what else I could have done. 

The wife & I have our first real "test ride" tomorrow.  Planning on going 30-40 miles and see how it does but so far seems to be great.  If you have any questions let me know!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:58:54 PM by Madcrazy10 »

SCassa

Re: VB-R-066 D Build
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 11:25:50 AM »
Nice looking bike. The contrast in colors do look good. Hope your wife gets on well with it. Did you happen weight the frame and fork separately?
Is the seatpost frame specific? Let us know your wifes thoughts on the frame after she's got a few rides in.

Yunglord

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 12:08:18 PM »
This is pretty much an Endurace.

I have an Endurace in XS built with R8000/6800 and RS-685 shifters currently at 7.6kg I think it can go down to 7.3kg with TPU tubes and new shifters to replace the bulky offseries.

Also have a set of Elite's on it 45mm/27mm with RD-13 and Sapim CX Rays - 1445g with Tape.

hazzer19

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 12:23:29 PM »
Nice build and paint choice! Wheels look great. Good to hear VB is working with you on the parts they couldn't fulfill.

Madcrazy10

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 12:51:37 PM »
Nice looking bike. The contrast in colors do look good. Hope your wife gets on well with it. Did you happen weight the frame and fork separately?
Is the seatpost frame specific? Let us know your wifes thoughts on the frame after she's got a few rides in.

Unfortunately, I did not weigh the frame/fork when it came.  I don't have a scale but the guy who put it all together for me on a theory that the paint added a noticeable amount of weight.  However, when I just had the frame & wheels on it felt light as crap.  The groupset definitely added a lot.  But, my Canyon Endurace with the exact same groupset in Small (which is about a 54cm in Canyon sizing) is about 7.6kg/16.8 with those Elite wheels on, so I dunno.

As for the seatpost I think it's your standard size rounded post.  I had the bike builder cut 2 inches off it because it was so long and I told him it was aluminum.  When I picked up the bike he corrected me and said it was carbon... just really thick carbon.  He showed me the cut off piece and it had to be quarter inch thick or something. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:54:39 PM by Madcrazy10 »

Madcrazy10

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 01:11:58 PM »
This is pretty much an Endurace.

I have an Endurace in XS built with R8000/6800 and RS-685 shifters currently at 7.6kg I think it can go down to 7.3kg with TPU tubes and new shifters to replace the bulky offseries.

Also have a set of Elite's on it 45mm/27mm with RD-13 and Sapim CX Rays - 1445g with Tape.

Oh wow, please tell me how you like the hub sound.  I also got the RD13 hub!.  I was told by Elite to get the RD13 hub since it was supposed to be quieter.  I don't see how it could be any louder.  I guess their other hubs are just insanely loud?  I saw a video where someone packed the freehub with a bunch of grease (different brand but could apply here) and it helped the noise a noticeable amount.  Was thinking about trying that.  What are your thoughts?  Also, did you notice the RD13 has a different freehub pitch sound? Like it's a lower pitch sound as well.  (along with being loud).  But anway, thought I'd ask your experience with that hub.

jjsahagun

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 04:44:59 PM »
Glad to see a thread started for the R-066.
I have one ordered and just waiting for shipment.
I decided only to get the frame from Velobuild and get rest of the parts from Aliexpress.
Once I get it, I'll weight frame (M) and post here.

Yunglord

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 12:15:23 PM »
Sorry I have the RD-16 Low friction hubs!

It is a "noisy freewheel" but I quite like it! It's useful from time to time to warn people I'm behind them.

The only con I have with the wheels is that they are a bit flexy laterally but for the price I can't complain.

As far as the VBR-066/Canyon Endurace It's a nice fun bike!!!

jjsahagun

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 04:36:18 PM »
Got my frame today!!!
I ordered a M size frame and custom paining on 04/30, so 5 weeks turnaround...
So far, I'm liking it. If it is OK with OP, I'll tag along to this post for this build.
Same day, I ordered a wheelset from Elite (RD-16, 45mm) but who knows when I'll get it. It has been stuck in "Accepted for transportation by Post" for 2 weeks.. :-\

I've weighted all parts separately...

Frame (size M) with thru axle: 1043g
Fork with thru axle: 410g
Seatpost: 212g
I wont start the build until Friday, in case anyone has a question....

patliean1

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2022, 06:48:42 PM »
Niiiice! What are your plans for groupset, bottom bracket, and tires?

1043 grams for a painted medium frame is really good!

Madcrazy10

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 08:37:01 AM »
Nice. I like that color.  Yeah, let's keep this thread going.  I really wish I would have weighed everything when I got my frame but didn't really think about it.  I'm pretty sure though that it's not the frames fault that my build weighed more than I expected but the parts/groupset I chose. 

jjsahagun

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 10:13:06 AM »
This will be my first road bike. Alway on MTB but wanted to try something new for my N+1 itch  ;D
I’m trying to keep the cost below $2000 (it will be very close, though) so I’m trying to source all parts and components from Aliexpress.
For groupset, I went with Sensah 12 spd and Senicx cranks ( I actually have an extra new set, if anyone is interested). Too bad Sensah does not offer a hydraulic set. I really wanted a Shimano groupset but I could not find a used set at a good price, so this is the first thing I will upgrade later on.
For BB, frame uses BB86 and crankset is DUB. Not a lot of options for this combination; Only 2 I could find, SRAM or Ztto. I chose SRAM. There are a few way more expensive options but were out of my budget… I read BB86/DUB is not the best but I had already purchase the crankset, so… I hope it does not give me trouble in the future.
For tires, I found Conti GP5000 S Tubeless 30mm at a decent price but they are out of stock; Hopefully they will come soon.  (Does anyone else have luck finding tires at a good price or at least in stock?)
Still waiting on the wheels and I don’t think they will be here anytime soon. It has been 5 weeks since order was placed and there are no updates on shipping.
Apart from tires and wheels, I almost have everything ready to start, but I might have to delay the build until I get the wheels…

braincore

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 01:35:37 AM »
I got a used 105 fully hydraulic groupset off craigslist for $525 which was an awesome find.

What a steal! I looked on Craigslist for a month before giving up $1k for a mixed r7020/r8025 set.

What reflective handlebar tape is that and does it complement the chameleon?

Madcrazy10

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2022, 09:33:00 AM »
What a steal! I looked on Craigslist for a month before giving up $1k for a mixed r7020/r8025 set.

What reflective handlebar tape is that and does it complement the chameleon?

Yeah, I had to drive an hour and a half to go pick up the groupset but was worth it. I haven't found another used hydraulic groupset anywhere since for a decent price.  I did have to spend $70 on (2) 160mm rotors & a $20 shim kit for the rear brake caliper (previous owner used 140mm rotors). Oh, and a bottom bracket was $35 from Amazon.  So, probably $650 total.

The bar tape was $15 from Amazon.  Link below.  I also included 2 pictures to show you how it reflects.  In the shade it's just purple but in the sun it looks pretty cool.  The only negative which might be a deal breaker for some is it's pretty slick.  Not grippy at all.  But the wife says she has no problems with it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RBVYY72?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Islubio

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 04:33:21 AM »
I have one setuped earlier this yr. And I am getting disc rub out of saddle so am thinking that there's quite some flex in the fork. Do you happen to get any disc rub when out of saddle?