Author Topic: VB-R-066 D Build  (Read 5964 times)

Madcrazy10

Re: VB-R-066 D Build
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2022, 11:31:11 AM »
I have one setuped earlier this yr. And I am getting disc rub out of saddle so am thinking that there's quite some flex in the fork. Do you happen to get any disc rub when out of saddle?

Yeah, not sure I can help you with that unfortunately.  Since this is my wife's bike she hardly gets out of the saddle and definitely not putting down massive watts.  I assume your rotors are dead center between the caliper?  If not you might have to unscrew the caliper bolts and line it up slightly or maybe your rotor is warped?  Maybe try swapping them if they are the same size.

Islubio

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 11:34:11 AM »
Yup they are dead centre. So I went to flex the handlebar stationary, and I can see that whenever I only load 1 side of the handlebar, the disc would rub the pads on one side. So I guess that's the fork flexing and the caliper runs the disc left right when the bars are loaded 1 sided like during an out of saddle sprint

kr78

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 02:53:35 PM »
My wife's 066D in size S - as recommended by Chris, perfectly fits. Complete Ultegra setup. She loves it  :)

jjsahagun

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2022, 01:31:20 PM »
After a lot of delays, I finally finished this VB-66 build.
Although I went the budget route, somehow but was able to keep at a very decent 7.625kg.
Paint is holding up well but matte finish gets dirty very quickly. I might add a clear coat later on.
I thought i was going to hate the saddle but so far it has been fine on 2hr rides...
Only thing I might change soon are the brakes. Still playing with different pads to see if they get better.
So far, I'm loving it...

s3si1u

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2022, 02:15:38 PM »
Although I went the budget route, somehow but was able to keep at a very decent 7.625kg.
Paint is holding up well but matte finish gets dirty very quickly. I might add a clear coat later on.
I thought i was going to hate the saddle but so far it has been fine on 2hr rides...
Only thing I might change soon are the brakes. Still playing with different pads to see if they get better.
So far, I'm loving it...

It looks sweet. I love that color...

What kinda cable housings did you use on the brakes? My gf's Felt endurance bike runs SRAM Force 1x with mechanical disc brakes similar to yours, and after switching her brake housings to Jagwire compressionless, they felt and performed a million times better. I also used to run mechanical disc on my integrated road bike and the compressionless housings also made a significant difference, but not nearly as much as the gf's bike that doesn't route cables through the bars.

I used to run that same saddle and absolutely LOVED it. But I feel the build quality just wasn't perfect and the rails gave out on me after a few months. Velobuild was amazing about sending me a warranty replacement and I opted for their other banana shaped model this time
Instagram: @aerosloth

jjsahagun

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2022, 08:00:14 PM »
Adding more pictures...
It looks sweet. I love that color...

What kinda cable housings did you use on the brakes? My gf's Felt endurance bike runs SRAM Force 1x with mechanical disc brakes similar to yours, and after switching her brake housings to Jagwire compressionless, they felt and performed a million times better. I also used to run mechanical disc on my integrated road bike and the compressionless housings also made a significant difference, but not nearly as much as the gf's bike that doesn't route cables through the bars.

I used to run that same saddle and absolutely LOVED it. But I feel the build quality just wasn't perfect and the rails gave out on me after a few months. Velobuild was amazing about sending me a warranty replacement and I opted for their other banana shaped model this time

Thanks, I'm loving the color too. I might add some stickers later on.

That is what I have, Jagwire compresionless. I think the problem is the cheap brake pads they came with. I have replaced rear ones with Shimano organic pads and so far, it fells less grainy and have a just a bit more braking power. I'll just have to get use to mechanical brakes again.

Saddle has been great so far. I acually got it from aliexpress and not through Velobuild. Only thing is, top is very thin and if i'm sitting just to the side, I feel it digging in my cheeks :o. But when I shfit back the weight to the center, it is great.

s3si1u

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2022, 12:15:41 PM »
Adding more pictures...
Thanks, I'm loving the color too. I might add some stickers later on.

That is what I have, Jagwire compresionless. I think the problem is the cheap brake pads they came with. I have replaced rear ones with Shimano organic pads and so far, it fells less grainy and have a just a bit more braking power. I'll just have to get use to mechanical brakes again.

Saddle has been great so far. I acually got it from aliexpress and not through Velobuild. Only thing is, top is very thin and if i'm sitting just to the side, I feel it digging in my cheeks :o. But when I shfit back the weight to the center, it is great.

Some Shimano pads definitely make a difference. The gf runs Shimano metal pads along with the Jagwire and is pretty happy with them over the stock setup. I tried to get her on a hydraulic set but she prefers the mechanical calipers because they're purple  :D :D

That's the saddle! It looks exactly the same. I miss it so much :P

I would also be interested in your opinions on the Senicx crankset...it looks quite nice.
Instagram: @aerosloth

jjsahagun

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2022, 12:53:49 PM »
Some Shimano pads definitely make a difference. The gf runs Shimano metal pads along with the Jagwire and is pretty happy with them over the stock setup. I tried to get her on a hydraulic set but she prefers the mechanical calipers because they're purple  :D :D

That's the saddle! It looks exactly the same. I miss it so much :P

I would also be interested in your opinions on the Senicx crankset...it looks quite nice.

Here is where i got the saddle:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832657672829.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.1aa11802EeNmlF&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Senicx crankset has been very good. Absolutely no issues working with the Sensah shifter. 105 weight at 1/2 the price. But there are some details i have to share... Senicx PR2 is SRAM DUB and this frame uses PF86 BB (DUB 30mm and PF86 shell 41mm) So, PF86-DUB BB bearings are tiny; this will cause friction and low life expectancy out of the BB. I just started seeing a new model, PR3 that uses shimano 24mm; this might have been a better fit on this frame. But anyways... Crankset has been very good and it has a nice quality finish; no noises, no flexing so far.

Froglover825

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2022, 06:04:10 AM »
Yeah, I had to drive an hour and a half to go pick up the groupset but was worth it. I haven't found another used hydraulic groupset anywhere since for a decent price.  I did have to spend $70 on (2) 160mm rotors & a $20 shim kit for the rear brake caliper (previous owner used 140mm rotors). Oh, and a bottom bracket was $35 from Amazon.  So, probably $650 total.

The bar tape was $15 from Amazon.  Link below.  I also included 2 pictures to show you how it reflects.  In the shade it's just purple but in the sun it looks pretty cool.  The only negative which might be a deal breaker for some is it's pretty slick.  Not grippy at all.  But the wife says she has no problems with it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RBVYY72?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
42cm handlebars look very odd on such a small bike, makes the front end look very out of proportion imo.

noodleshop

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2022, 04:01:19 AM »
Looks great everyone! May I ask how is the tyre clearance like?

jjsahagun

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2022, 03:09:29 PM »
Looks great everyone! May I ask how is the tyre clearance like?
I'm using 30mm tires and there is about 8mm space on either side on the front and about 5mm in the rear.

pantherman

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2022, 01:07:59 PM »
This is my 066 build.  The frame is medium, which is a bit big for me.

Shimano 105 drivetrain
Giant Conduct SL brake

Jim.de

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2022, 08:43:07 AM »
Here is mine.

First picture is the bike after the first build up. Second picture is couple months later with (a lot) of swapping parts.

Evo 1:

Evo 2:

Frameweight: 1056g
Size 58 with bolts, rear hanger

Fork: 373g
Uncut

Bike: around 7-7,1kg (with roadtyres and TPU Tubes)

Ordered raw but came with black paint.

My experience with Velobuild/Chris:
Terrible, never ever.

Regards,
Jim

Jim.de

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2022, 08:46:03 AM »
So far, I'm loving it...

Did Chris tell you to take this handlebar/stem combo? It does not seem to fit this frameset at all (transition between stem an frame and also the angle of the handlebar)

hazzer19

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2022, 12:40:34 PM »
Here is mine.

First picture is the bike after the first build up. Second picture is couple months later with (a lot) of swapping parts.

Nice build! What size are those Schwalbe's and what's the max you think the frame could clear?