Author Topic: VB-R-066 D Build  (Read 5963 times)

Jim.de

Re: VB-R-066 D Build
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2022, 03:52:04 AM »
The Schwalbes are 32c. I guess it could handle up to 35c.

jjsahagun

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2022, 11:18:49 AM »
Did Chris tell you to take this handlebar/stem combo? It does not seem to fit this frameset at all (transition between stem an frame and also the angle of the handlebar)

No, this was a different purchase from AE. 
You are correct. Handle bar is not good. it is supposed to be -17 deg  but it is more like 20 - 22 deg. The spacers are backwards because the angle is too much and they dont fit the correct way. Stem length was also wrong (+ 20mm).
I do not mind the look but just can't get used to the position. Waiting on arrival of new handlebar / stem.

Jim.de

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2022, 09:21:59 AM »
No, this was a different purchase from AE. 
You are correct. Handle bar is not good. it is supposed to be -17 deg  but it is more like 20 - 22 deg. The spacers are backwards because the angle is too much and they dont fit the correct way. Stem length was also wrong (+ 20mm).
I do not mind the look but just can't get used to the position. Waiting on arrival of new handlebar / stem.

sorry, I didn't mean to badmouth your purchase. Just thought maybe Chris recommended it to you.

zhala

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2022, 08:30:37 PM »
I'm looking at potentially buying this frame but I'm not sure if the large would fit. For reference I'm about 6'4" (193cm) tall with a 35.75" (908mm) inseam and currently ride a Cannondale Synapse size 58cm which fits alright. Comparing the geometry they look similar enough, curious to hear if any other taller riders have experience with this frame or if anyone has some advice on fitment/sizing.

Jim.de

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2023, 04:02:38 PM »
I would´ve advised you to get a larger size (also for the Synapse). If you feel comfortable on the Synapse and you get the same position with a large 066, then it will suit you. Other people have very different proportions, flexibility, etc. even if you are the same size.

carbonazza

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2023, 01:29:41 AM »
I'm looking at potentially buying this frame but I'm not sure if the large would fit. For reference I'm about 6'4" (193cm) tall with a 35.75" (908mm) inseam and currently ride a Cannondale Synapse size 58cm which fits alright. Comparing the geometry they look similar enough, curious to hear if any other taller riders have experience with this frame or if anyone has some advice on fitment/sizing.

An XL will have a higher stack(less vertical drop between the bar and the saddle) and longer reach(shorter stem needed).
If you are flexible, ride a lot and fast you can get a smaller frame.
Otherwise a bigger frame will be a little more comfortable.

pantherman

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2023, 03:11:47 PM »
I've used https://bikeinsights.com/ for frame comparisons.  Just pick your current bike frame, then overlay with the 066 frame.  This will give you an idea which frame size will be closest to your current bike.

For example, I built a medium 066 frame, which is a bit too big for me.  I have a medium Giant Defy Advanced and I'm very happy with it.  A small 066 would have fit me much better than the medium.

If you think about it, the distance between saddle to the BB is governed by your inseam.  No matter which frame size you get, this distance will be the same.  Also same with the reach, your upper body and arm length will govern that.  If you look at the geometry between sizes, they differ very little, so in most cases, you pick the right stem length and right steer tube length to suit you.  The only thing you want to look out for is the standover height.  Bigger the frame, less the clearance between the top tube to your crotch.  And of course, bigger the frame, less exposed seat post, which is less aesthetic pleasing.   ;D

Good luck with your build!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 03:45:09 PM by pantherman »

jefflinde

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2023, 12:10:45 AM »
This is a super random question the all of you 066 owners but do any of you have the rim and disc versions?   I have the rim version on order and will be looking for a disc frame soon.  The geo chart looks identical between the frames and that is one of the drivers of me buying this frame.  Just hoping someone else has both to confirm if they are in fact identical or close to it.  Thank you and love al the builds.

ENEP

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2023, 02:31:29 AM »
Here is mine.

First picture is the bike after the first build up. Second picture is couple months later with (a lot) of swapping parts.

Frameweight: 1056g
Size 58 with bolts, rear hanger

Fork: 373g
Uncut

Bike: around 7-7,1kg (with roadtyres and TPU Tubes)

Ordered raw but came with black paint.

My experience with Velobuild/Chris:
Terrible, never ever.

Regards,
Jim

Hi!

What's your height and inseam measurement? And how do you like the fit?

What was terrible regarding Velobuild and Chris?

Thanks

joegal

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2023, 02:51:31 PM »
The 066 just got updated to fully internal cables and T47 BB!
https://www.velobuild.com/products/2023-vb-r-066-carbon-fiber-endurance-road-racing-bike-frame-disc-version

When I spoke to Chris last week, he mentioned that they will release a new VB road frame in the next months.
I wonder if this might be it.

But the 066 is still interesting as a modern lightweight frame, with T47 BB.

Takiyaki

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2023, 09:09:09 PM »
Yea I just noticed the disc version of this. I like everything about it except the crazy gap between the seat tube and rear tire. A size S with a slammed + long stem would match my current fit and look kind of awesome.

Jim.de

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2023, 04:23:58 AM »
Hi!

What's your height and inseam measurement? And how do you like the fit?

What was terrible regarding Velobuild and Chris?

Thanks

Hi there,

im sorry I just saw you post. Probably too late but still, here is my response:

Im about 188cm and have longe legs and long arms. I am normally between large and xlarge. Because of my bodytype and also because I am quite flexible I ride my bike with a moderate gap of 12cm between saddle and handlebar. For me this is comfy, for others it won’t. Stem length is 120mm.

I would always suggest to go to a bikefitter. I haven’t done it for the first 2/3 years and I could have save a lot of money. My fit was quite good before I went to a fitter but it took a lot time to be there and went through couple of frames, stems and so on.

Btw the 066 or canyon endurace for this matter is still no real endurance bike. For people with a stiff back and/or short arms this frame is not suitable.

About my experience with VB and Chris: Despite my order the handlebar combo wasn’t UD but 3K, the carbon axles broke with 6nm, total garbage and I didn’t receive my bottlecages. After I opened a dispute he told me to send me a new handlebar and the bottlecages. He asked me to close the dispute, unfortunately I did so. Never received the parts (he probably sent an empty box to a address which didn’t exist, because I could track the parcel but at the end they couldn’t deliver it because of a fals address.

Regards,
Jim