Author Topic: New Wheelset - Magene Exar DB58Pro Disc  (Read 3972 times)

carbonazza

Re: New Wheelset - Magene Exar DB58Pro Disc
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2022, 03:49:32 PM »
Strange, I've advised Magene HRM bands, powermeters and home trainers to folks here and all are happy. And their support from Aliexpress messaging, has always been great.

When I swap wheels with different hubs (dt-swiss, carbon-ti, hope, novatec), I generally need to realign callipers.
Are you having them off to the point where you can't even properly align the callipers?

patliean1

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2022, 05:06:55 PM »
Have you had a chance to send them your initial observations yet?

That will be the next update LoL. This will be interesting...

patliean1

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 07:31:45 PM »
Strange, I've advised Magene HRM bands, powermeters and home trainers to folks here and all are happy. And their support from Aliexpress messaging, has always been great.

When I swap wheels with different hubs (dt-swiss, carbon-ti, hope, novatec), I generally need to realign callipers.
Are you having them off to the point where you can't even properly align the callipers?

Correct.

1Sigma

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2022, 11:49:08 AM »

Have you ever recommended/tried their H603 HRM?
It's been sitting in my AliX basket for a bit.  Never get around to buying
Better than average - Extra Average

BobRider

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2022, 02:47:24 PM »
If its anything like the GPS or HR monitor, RUN!

BobRider

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2022, 02:53:00 PM »

I had ... still have horrific experiences with their products. I really gave their products a good bash, but they didnt even last two weeks, and this was the same for all the replacements I got. Eventally I stopped asking for replacements and moved on.

carbonazza

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2022, 03:09:40 PM »
Have you ever recommended/tried their H603 HRM?
It's been sitting in my AliX basket for a bit.  Never get around to buying

No, but H303 is certainly a hell better than the H64, there were what... 303-64 = 239 versions between them   8)
Even though they claim it now, I never found the H64 to be unstable.

patliean1

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2022, 11:46:13 AM »
Update #5

I sent an email to Magene with the photos attached below, including the YouTube video below as well I created to help clearly see the issue. The link is "Unlisted" and not public. If all possible please don't share this link until I hear back from Magene with a solution. I just wanted to show you guys visually.

Now that I've tried different wheel and disc rotors combinations, I can confirm the rubbing ONLY happens on the Magene wheel. Here are my two theories:

Theory #1 - Either the flanges on both sides of the hub assembly are too wide, which pushes the rotor into the brake pad causing major brake rub.
Theory #2 - Or the overall hub assembly is too short, causing the entire wheel to shift 1 to 2 mm too far into the outside brake pad once the thru-axle is torqued down. This is why I used a shim.

kbike

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2022, 02:01:44 PM »
I'd think a miss alignment in hub. Could be from milling bearing seats on hubs. Maybe axle or caps not tightened correctly.  Does thr wheel center to frame evenly? Just curious if wheel is closer to one fork.

Is the hub easily to disassemble? Usually fronts are pretty simple with 2 bearings

Just thinking what I'd look at. May not even be relevant

patliean1

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2022, 08:53:28 AM »
Update #6 - GOOD NEWS

After I emailed Magene and sent them the video, they immediately responded not even 5 hours later. Below is their reply from the engineers:

"Because the product was sent to you before the launch, It is an earlier batch. The adaptability of the end caps next to the hubs is not good enough, but this problem has been solved after the product launch. I'll resend you two end caps , replace them and you'll have a good fit"

Awesome that Magene jumped on this issue right away and knew the root cause, as it's obviously in their best interest. I do plan to share my experience in an upcoming video once the new end caps arrive, as transparency is important. And just as important is also highlighting how quickly Magene rectified the problem.

In the meantime I've manage to forge a pretty elegant (but still temporary) wheel spacer solution.

FHS

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2022, 10:41:20 AM »
Update #3

Basically, I had to use a small 2mm thick washer between the fork and the wheel, to act as a shim, to prevent the thru-axle from pushing the disc rotor too far outward toward the outer disc pad. Obviously this solution is neither ideal nor acceptable, especially for a paying customer. I'm not exactly sure how to convey this to Magene without this whole ordeal becoming a blame game.

I had an issue with the front fork on my TanTan that requires a similar solution. When I was going through hell and back dealing with the headset play, it turned out that part of the problem was play in the thru axle in the front fork, regardless of how much I torqued down the thru axle. My lbs tech slipped a washer onto the thru axle on the outside of the fork and that took care of that. It's definitely not  a problem with the wheels because the play is there with both my set of Light Bicycle wheels and my set of Scribes. I even tried a DT Swiss front thru axle to see if that helped, but it didn't.

The solution works, and I just chalk it up to the open mold experience since I haven't heard about anybody else with the issue. But yeah, super annoying and I'm happy to see Magene responded.

patliean1

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2022, 10:54:55 AM »
I had an issue with the front fork on my TanTan that requires a similar solution. When I was going through hell and back dealing with the headset play, it turned out that part of the problem was play in the thru axle in the front fork, regardless of how much I torqued down the thru axle. My lbs tech slipped a washer onto the thru axle on the outside of the fork and that took care of that. It's definitely not  a problem with the wheels because the play is there with both my set of Light Bicycle wheels and my set of Scribes. I even tried a DT Swiss front thru axle to see if that helped, but it didn't.

The solution works, and I just chalk it up to the open mold experience since I haven't heard about anybody else with the issue. But yeah, super annoying and I'm happy to see Magene responded.

Your story, like mine and most folks in this forum, again highlights the extra "sweat effort" required with affordable open mold frames and components. The savings and value cannot be denied once you look past resolving the little quirks.

slosada

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2022, 02:31:48 PM »
Well their P325 CS power meter crankset was a bit of a shit show, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.
I have P35 dual from Magene and is as precise as any other (error from Shimano spider). When they wanted to overcome the Shimano limitation and released their own crankset, it was laterally flexible.
I also own their cadence and speed sensors.

1Sigma

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2022, 07:12:46 PM »
I have P35 dual from Magene and is as precise as any other (error from Shimano spider). When they wanted to overcome the Shimano limitation and released their own crankset, it was laterally flexible.
I also own their cadence and speed sensors.

This is their area of core competency
Better than average - Extra Average