Author Topic: Headset play on Carbonda CFR 707  (Read 1508 times)

jannmayer

Headset play on Carbonda CFR 707
« on: July 10, 2022, 01:37:20 PM »
I'm having problems with the headset on my CFR 707. No matter how careful I am, I can still feel play when I hold the brake and rock the bike back and forth. The compression ring appears to be moving slightly in the top bearing. This frame has 52 mm bearings top and bottom, and I am using the Carbonda headset. I am not using internal routing. The compression ring supplied with the headset is the 3/4 ring that has a gap for the cables to run through, but the top cap is solid.

What I have tried and checked:
  • I verified that the top and bottom bearings are not moving in the frame. The top bearing is quite firm and I cannot pull it out easily.
  • I verified that the compression ring is fully seated in the bearing.
  • I verified that the top cap is pushing down on the compression ring and not hitting the frame. The shim washer gives enough clearance, but I also tested with a headset spacer directly on top to be certain. (When doing this, I could see the compression ring moving slightly against the bearing.)
  • I have pushed down on the stem while tightening the compression plug to ensure everything is seated.
  • I've tried the compression plug with and without carbon grip compound.
None of these have made any difference.

Questions:
  • Are there any differences between the top and bottom bearing? If so, would switching them cause this issue?
  • There are a few replacement compression rings on Amazon. Is something like this likely to resolve the issue?
[size=78%]https://www.amazon.com/LQ-Industrial-Aluminium-Compression-Conversion/dp/B09TKL19QY/ref=sr_1_4?crid=IHNGECFM0ZSG&keywords=headset+compression+ring&qid=1657477124&sprefix=headset+compression+ring%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-4[/size]

• Or should I just get an FSA or Cane Creek or other reasonable quality headset?
I have replaced integrated headsets before on several bikes without any issues, so I'm having a hard time believing I'm doing something wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated!

FullCarbonAlchemist

Re: Headset play on Carbonda CFR 707
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 04:13:58 PM »
I had a similar issue with the Carbonda headset that came with my FM1002. Replacing it with an FSA No.55R completely solved the problem.

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 09:04:28 AM »
I would review again and again the assembly, there isn't anything mysterious in a headset.
Either you compress the bearings enough and they don't move anymore, or something is in the way preventing them to compress properly.
There's nothing wrong with the provided headset.

My two main reasons of this kind of issue were the top cap making contact with the tube or the the compression nut.
Or a not tightened enough compression nut, that moves up the steer tube while tightening the top cap.
Did you try to add a 5 or 10mm spacer and tighten ?

jannmayer

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 05:08:16 PM »
I will pull it apart and give it another inspection next weekend when I have the chance. It felt like the ring for tightly in the bearing when I tested workout the fork. Perhaps the ring is bending slightly when the steerer is inserted ?

jannmayer

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 09:54:32 PM »
My two main reasons of this kind of issue were the top cap making contact with the tube or the the compression nut.
Or a not tightened enough compression nut, that moves up the steer tube while tightening the top cap.
Did you try to add a 5 or 10mm spacer and tighten ?

I forgot to add that I did try adding a spacer below the top cover so that it was pressing down on the compression ring only, and nothing was rubbing on the frame. When I did that, I could see the play between the compression ring and the bearing.

I also verified that there was plenty of room between the top of my stem and the steerer, so the top cap was not bottoming out.

I am using the Carbonda compression plug as well. Have you had any problems with this?

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 03:49:43 AM »
...I am using the Carbonda compression plug as well. Have you had any problems with this?
Sometimes the plug is conical, and can make contact with the nut at its center with still some room for the steerer to go up.
Maybe some pictures would give ideas.

jannmayer

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 07:04:13 PM »
I got it sorted out. Turns out the problem was user error   :o

I had been installing the expander plug incorrectly. I was dropping the plug with top cap into the steerer and then tightening the top cap bolt. The top cap hit the top of the expander, so it never clamped down on the bearings.

After I realized my error (thanks to carbonazza's comment on another thread about tightening the expander and the top cap) I was able to install and tighten it with no play.

Thanks for the advice!