Author Topic: *picture heavy* TFSA tarmac SL7 copy - sketchy AF  (Read 10244 times)

eucalyptus

Re: *picture heavy* TFSA tarmac SL7 copy - sketchy AF
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2022, 07:59:46 AM »
Update concerning the fork!

Measured the dropouts, 102.5 mm which is kinda weird, not sure if this happens to other bikes? Thinking about asking for a new fork hoping this is a unique case. Measured my Basso fork, EXACTLY 100mm.

Axle not looking that terrible anymore, still a few millimeters short and very unusual design.

See pictures

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2022, 11:09:41 AM »
Sorry, off topic but id like to know what are your thought on the bars? Ive been considering the one pro bars for a while too. And the manufacturer direct price makes them even more tempting.. have you weighed them yet? Also, do they come with two sets of headset covers or something? In this screenshot from the alibaba page, they list type one and type two

eucalyptus

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2022, 03:17:57 PM »
Sorry, off topic but id like to know what are your thought on the bars? Ive been considering the one pro bars for a while too. And the manufacturer direct price makes them even more tempting.. have you weighed them yet? Also, do they come with two sets of headset covers or something? In this screenshot from the alibaba page, they list type one and type two

Hey thats alright :) There is ZERO information about this bar on the internet so I understand your curiosity! I was gonna save it to later as I am gonna do a huge build thread once I got all pieces together.

But here you go :) This one, I bought directly from the manufacturer on Alibaba it cost me $112 USD on Alibaba + $27 in taxes charged by Alibaba. I then got taxed again but only $11 on Swedish customs borders (main cost is a fee). Seller put value declaration of $11. After some hassle with Alibaba support and tax return request, I then got the $27 back as I was charged twice :)

Weight is pretty decent for a 400x100mm bar. I was first gonna buy the Roval Alpinist as it is only 233 gram for same size, but this one is hundred times more AERO + it got a small degree of flare which is exactly what I was looking for + fully integrated wiring.

I was sceptical at first, cheap bar, no information etc. But WOW!! Not ridden it yet, but my god it feels sturdy in hand. Doesn't matter how much pressure of force I use try to twist it. It is rock solid super stiff.

Finish is TOP NOTCH! I have two 3T aeroghiaia bars which retail €349 euro a piece at 240 gram, they are way more flexy than this one. But they have the same high quality finish. Carbon inside looks very decent and the matte paint is very good. If you put this next to anything else I couldn't tell it was only a hundred bucks.

My intention is to remove the paint and just run naked raw carbon with clearcoat.

350 grams including stem screws and mount (it uses two M6 hex screws and a pushplate against the steerer).

The internal nut fasterners for computer mount works fine too, the classic matte 3K carbon computer mount from Aliexpress works perfect for this application.

The handlebar comes with a few spacers inluding both of the two headset pieces you pictured above. BUT!!!! bear in mind, please go back to my other pictures and you will see that the included compression ring ONLY works with frames with a recessed headset bearing. My bearing is leveled with the frame, hence it will not work as the compression ring is way too thick, therefore I will/have come up with a custom solution that I will try later on.

There are, as discussed earlier in the thread, custom pieces you can buy from one seller on AliE for different frame models. But they charge $63 USD for a Tarmac SL7 adapter which is ridiculous for a plastic piece considering the entire bar is just twice the price.

Again, it is incredible stiff by my judgement. There is just no way I can put any flex in it by twisting the bar ends.

!!! AND a very important thing to notice!! I bought the 400mm wide version, but they measure C-C bar ends. So the real measurement is 385mm C-C hood to hood. Which is perfect for me as I like it narrow, but maybe not for all.

So if you are using a 400 bar and want 400mm hood to hood, go up one size :)

Here is the link to the manufacturer, the ones on Aliexpress are just re-sellers with branding. There is also a gravel version of the same bar with wider bar ends. As Alibaba is usually, mainly B2B, I chose the "samle version" to only buy one handlebar.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/T1000-Carbon-Bike-Handlebar-Fully-Internal_1600457733782.html?spm=a2756.order-detail-ta-bn-b.0.0.3acc2fc2w9Nt1I

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2022, 09:36:49 PM »
very detailed review. highly appreciated!

the bars sound good. i was tossing up between these and the seka intergrated bars. my friend told me they weigh 325g(but i cant find this listed on their website nor taobao) and will cost me around $260 from taobao. i think i will choose these in the end

thanks again!!

martocom

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2022, 01:33:17 AM »
Any Updates on this one? I'm considering a comparable build, but the seatpost keeps me away from this frame atm. There's only a setback version and it seems not suitable for carbon railed saddles.

Btw: TFSA JH33 = TanTan X33 = Seraph X33 = Trifox X18 (and maybe more to add)

eucalyptus

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2022, 06:02:06 AM »
There is some work in progress! Things are moving slowly as there is A LOOOOT of work to do.

I received the frame back 2 weeks ago from my carbon builder in Sweden. He did 4 areas of work on the frame, he fixed the uneven area around the BSA BB. My new BBinifnite BB only touched half the frame once fully tighten. Now after I got it fixed it touches at least 90-95% which is a big improvement.

He also removed the front derailleur and covered up all the holes with UD carbon. He did the same thing with the front right axle mount, so not the axle mount is not visible looking at the fork, it is entirely covered up.

He then improved and increased the strength of the frame where the rear derailleur hanger is mounted. He added a few thin layers of carbon weave to make it like 0.5mm thicker. Not much, but it is an improvement over the thin piece that came from the factory.

Some final words, he said the frame was very well-made and did not see any major death traps. How close he looked, I do not know.

I bought new FSA SL MR128R bearings which are a lot lighter than original, the fit is quite poor so adding a layer of tin foil around the bearings is kinda sorting this problem. I also bought new J&L Thru axles, original is 120xm1.0 + 160m1.0. Front axle is definitely too short, the new J&L is 121 and 163mm, so I will have to file down the rear axle a tiny bit.

Pictures will come as everything is done and I have had the time to make a build projekt thread :)

eucalyptus

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2022, 06:13:30 AM »
Here are some sneak peaks of what is going on at the moment.

I rebuilt the entire headset. The SL7 is supposed to have the baseplate + a top cover which builds a lot of stack, around 15mm?

I removed the top covered and added support to the baseplate to increase strength as the support for the steerer tube is SO SMALL/THIN!! Looks insane how thin and poor support it initially is, you can wiggle the entire thing around the steerer. Now it is a much closer fit and increased area supporting the steerer. I cut out my new custom top cover from 3mm carbon by hand using a dremel with 22m diamond discs. Took around 4 hours maybe as it was a lot going back and forth manually with files to get a perfect fit and finish.

At the moment I am rebuilding the entire seatpost. I cut off the top part and used a dremel to remove waste material and now in the progress to rebuild it using regular hardware. Original weight was 193g, I am aiming for maybe 150g :) Which would be really great for a proprietary seatpost.

Should be mentioned, I cut the fork steerer closer to where I think it will be finished. Surprise surprise, it is soooooo uneven wall thickness. UNCUT it looks alright, cut part is terrible. This is definitely alarming, if I am gonna die, I do not know. Is it a death trap? Seller says it is fine and only delaminated forks are replaced.

UNCUT

CUT

martocom

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2022, 01:12:10 AM »
Insane work, keep us updated!

s3si1u

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2022, 02:20:41 PM »
The frame is raw carbon but kinda scratched. It is very smooth but still looks scratched, the idea is to have the frame half painted and half only varnish with raw carbon finish. The frame is going to a painter later, what do I need to do, to prepare the frame? Use finer grit sandpaper to remove scratches or what is it gonna look like with a gloss varnish coat ?

The compression ring that came with the frame really looks a lot like the previous "recall" ring that Specialized first had with the SL7. What is your opinion, does it look safe to use, or is it too thin and sharp? It was extremely sharp at first, just filed off the worst edges.

The integrated one-piece handlebar is "THE ONE PRO HANDLEBAR" from aliexpress, but was purchased directly from the manufacturer on Alibaba. Of course, its aero profile does not fit the frame spacer set. As I want to slam it, my idea is to run it as pictured but to cut out a 2mm thin piece of metal and act as a support between the two. Also to cover up the holes and such. I have given it a lot of thought and this is the solution I found to be the most reasonable and least complicated.

Have you gotten around to routing cables through The One Pro bar yet?
I'm considering purchasing this handlebar myself at the moment from Alibaba. It looks super good, but the cable routing looks fairly tight.
Instagram: @aerosloth

Trilobite

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2022, 10:51:00 AM »
I received such a frame from a friend of mine. One of the aluminium BB inserts de-bonded from the frame and since he wasn't too happy about the stiffness of the frame either, he decided not to use it anymore. I could do whatever I wanted with it (I build and repair carbon parts on an amateur level). So I cut it in half.

I will post some pictures later, but a few comments first:
The frame was incredibly light, 728g for a size 54 to be exact (no typo). Since I highly doubt that HM fibers are used in such a frame, I suspect that they simply reduced the amount of stiffness layers to achieve such a low weight. Or some precut pieces fell to the floor and the person laminating the frame decided not to use them anymore ;) That's also in line with the owner's feedback who said the bike felt pretty noodly.

The good: The frame is surprisingly well built, the inside in general looks very clean. No wrinkles and almost no voids.

The bad: The rear dropout for the derailleur hanger I find horrible, it is so thin. This was mentioned in this thread already. The connection where front and rear triangle is glued together is done poorly too. You'll see why on the pics. The integration of the seatpost shape in the seattube isn't a showpiece either (an OEM SL7 seatpost doesn't fit, BTW). The BB area is pretty thin compared to other frames that I cut and honestly, I'm not surprised that one insert decided to part ways.

Would I recommend buying such a frame from a manufacturing/engineering perspective? Absolutely not. I'm not squeamish when it comes to carbon parts but IMHO I'd stay clear from such a frame.

eucalyptus

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2022, 02:53:51 PM »
I received such a frame from a friend of mine. One of the aluminium BB inserts de-bonded from the frame and since he wasn't too happy about the stiffness of the frame either, he decided not to use it anymore. I could do whatever I wanted with it (I build and repair carbon parts on an amateur level). So I cut it in half.

I will post some pictures later, but a few comments first:
The frame was incredibly light, 728g for a size 54 to be exact (no typo). Since I highly doubt that HM fibers are used in such a frame, I suspect that they simply reduced the amount of stiffness layers to achieve such a low weight. Or some precut pieces fell to the floor and the person laminating the frame decided not to use them anymore ;) That's also in line with the owner's feedback who said the bike felt pretty noodly.

The good: The frame is surprisingly well built, the inside in general looks very clean. No wrinkles and almost no voids.

The bad: The rear dropout for the derailleur hanger I find horrible, it is so thin. This was mentioned in this thread already. The connection where front and rear triangle is glued together is done poorly too. You'll see why on the pics. The integration of the seatpost shape in the seattube isn't a showpiece either (an OEM SL7 seatpost doesn't fit, BTW). The BB area is pretty thin compared to other frames that I cut and honestly, I'm not surprised that one insert decided to part ways.

Would I recommend buying such a frame from a manufacturing/engineering perspective? Absolutely not. I'm not squeamish when it comes to carbon parts but IMHO I'd stay clear from such a frame.

728 gram size 54? How that is that a real S-works weighs.

Mine, same size was 823 gram completely raw.

My build is taking forever to complete but it is with a painter long far away at the moment for some really nice colors. Hopefully done sometime soon! Gonna put it on my trainer to test it out

Trilobite

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2022, 02:39:04 AM »
Since both frames are paintless, the 100g difference shows the inconsistencies that you can get. I verified the weight with a second scale BTW and I would definitely prefer the heavier frame that you have. I will try to upload the images today or tomorrow.

Avalius

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2022, 10:14:14 AM »
Got two of these frames painted, good outside but on rollers one has a lot of swing in the seatpost area with creaks :s

Avalius

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2022, 02:34:25 PM »
And the weight of the frame was 1104gr without fork painted. Size 52