Author Topic: New Lexon spirit  (Read 14173 times)

Vipassana

Re: New Lexon spirit
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2023, 04:03:09 PM »
On the Scott Spark side of things, there's been a handful (fairly common actually) of failures on 2022 models with the upper shock pivot bolt coming loose while riding and totalling the frame.  Scott issued a service bulletin, has been generous with warranty, and redesigned the bolt to stainless steel and higher install torque.  2023s are unaffected (supposedly).

But it still makes me nervous. It's not easy to check frequently as you have to completely air down the rear shock and compress the suspension to get the bolt within view of the frame port.

So all manufacturers have their issues I suppose.  Regardless of big OEM or Chinese clone.

h-habilis

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2023, 12:42:26 AM »
...So all manufacturers have their issues I suppose.  Regardless of big OEM or Chinese clone.

Ouch!  Yeah, hard to foresee the many potential issues with a radically new design.  As I was building the Spirit 9 months ago, I saw a potential disaster leading to a frame fracture caused by the dropper cable getting in a pinch point with the belcrank arm on top of the shock.  I epoxied in a 3cm piece of carbon fishing rod to route the cable through.  On the bright side I was able to check the torque of the shock eyebolt easily with air set to run pressure.

Boybiskit

« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2023, 12:49:07 PM »
  I epoxied in a 3cm piece of carbon fishing rod to route the cable through. 

That is a great idea! That or a piece of old v-brake noodle will address a similar routing issue on my Airwolf (that has been bugging me but not caused a problem yet)

educosta

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2024, 09:58:52 AM »
I'd like to thank you all for the valuable information. Just ordered a spirit frameset (rockshox shock included). As mentioned here, my idea is a DYI ebike, using the frame space for max range, using a local battery manufacturer in Brazil that make battery packs designed to fit the frame (https://www.ipedal.com.br/baterias-sob-medida ). I have a Bafang BBSHD, but I'll probably get a CYC Photon for this build (a bit less power, maybe more gentle on the frame). https://www.cycmotor.com/product-page/photon-750w-mid-drive-conversion-kit
There's a very comprehensive critic video review by a russian youtuber that is also very informative of things to pay attention (link broken, just search lexon spirit carbon frame 2022).
I've had other frames with rear suspension link problems, which I've solved using a single axle through both left and right link bearings. Adapted suspension link is holding up well. My guess is bearings don't like torsional loads. Pictures can be found on this page (it's a brazilian bike forum) https://www.pedal.com.br/forum/topic81719_post1668631.html#1668631
I can't tell yet if the Spirit wishbone link behind the seatpost tube would accommodate a similar solution, because of possible interference with the frame depending on the travel.
It will be my first carbon frame, and I like to fix things, so I'll just enjoy the journey and try to implement some improvements as I put the bike together before riding, hoping to extend its life.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 10:01:26 AM by educosta »