Author Topic: New Lexon spirit  (Read 14627 times)

acedeuce802

Re: New Lexon spirit
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2023, 05:12:36 PM »
Lexon tends to renew their links often. Probably to clear out the poor reviews lol

Tijoe

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2023, 09:43:37 PM »
The new links are to their "next generation" revised frame that has supposedly fixed the problems purchasers were complaining about.

I would like to know it the "nude deluxe" Scott version 165x45(TR) will still work in this frame.  Lexon shock specs is a 165mmx38mm Trunnion Rear shock.

mikola

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2023, 12:24:18 PM »
Found one more youtuber from Russia showing problems with the frame:
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6l0oxDdgs
Sounds like the support from Lexon was horrible and he ended up returning the frame at his own cost, and after having paid custom fees.

Vipassana

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2023, 02:12:15 PM »
After watching that last video posted, it's clear to me there's absolutely no comparison between the Lexon and the Scott.  As mentioned earlier, I have a 2023 Spark and the fit/finish is on another planet when compared to what was shown on that Lexon in that video. Now I feel a *bit* better about the obnoxious amount Scott charges for the Spark.

On a tangentially related note, the Spark has been excellent so far. 250 miles on it. It is far more capable than I am, that much is clear.  Twin Lock is pretty great as well. It really makes the bike in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 03:58:48 PM by Vipassana »

Tijoe

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2023, 11:23:05 PM »
To be fair,  That specific video is for a first generation frame.   Lexon claims that if you received a first generation frame that has problems they will replace it with the second generation.  (I don't know about shipping costs to return your old frame.  This appears to be negotiable with them.

I am still hoping someone stateside will order and receive one and they can provide a better review.   I am holding off on ordering one for now because I am distracted with another build and don't want to spend the money on one of these frames yet.

h-habilis

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2023, 09:06:23 AM »
Follow up report, 2022 Lexon Spirit EMTB build.  Coming onto 1,600km of 70/30 off road use without issue, and that is after adding an air fill port for the rear shock, and a 5mm hole in same vicinity as part of an anti rotation device for the drive motor.  Two additional holes were added to the down tube for epoxied-in rivnuts to better secure 48v 17.5Ah battery.  I decided to stay with the 140mm of front travel on the X-Fusion 34 fork, acknowledging that the geometry calls for 120mm front with 100 rear.  Absolutely love the 67.2 head angle which reflects the trend toward slacker head angles on XC full sus frames.  I ordered and received a spare MY 2023 3-piece bell  crank assy for the rear sus just to have it, Lexon sent it for a 30 buck S&H fee. 

The good:  headtube cable routing, sweet geometry, cush air-flex ride helped by CF wheelset and CF bars, gorgeous paint job which I protected with 3M Rhino Skin, and last but not least, low cost-- as I basically threw existing parts onto an $1,075 frame (with decent shock, headset, and axles included).  The less than good:  rear triangle is a little flexy but tolerable, had to lathe-up improved spacers for for rear sus external linkage arms and replace damaged bearings, no metallic insert for NDS rear axle hole. 

mathesonmd

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2023, 01:54:50 PM »
I tend to order at least one or two MTB frames a year just because I love building them up. I ordered the 2023 Spirit a few weeks ago and am expecting it anyday. I'll update y'all when it arrives with some photos and do a build log.

h-habilis

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2023, 07:04:36 PM »
I tend to order at least one or two MTB frames a year just because I love building them up. I ordered the 2023

Good luck, I'll be looking forwards to seeing your creation.  One tip I might offer, is there is the potential that the internal portion of the bell crank can pinch/abrade at an internal routed dropper cable.  I resolved this by epoxying in a 3" piece CF fishing rod tubing to guide the cable off to one side of the seat tube.

emu26

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2023, 08:03:55 PM »
Follow up report, 2022 Lexon Spirit EMTB build.  Coming onto 1,600km of 70/30 off road use without issue, and that is after adding an air fill port for the rear shock, and a 5mm hole in same vicinity as part of an anti rotation device for the drive motor.  Two additional holes were added to the down tube for epoxied-in rivnuts to better secure 48v 17.5Ah battery.  I decided to stay with the 140mm of front travel on the X-Fusion 34 fork, acknowledging that the geometry calls for 120mm front with 100 rear.  Absolutely love the 67.2 head angle which reflects the trend toward slacker head angles on XC full sus frames.  I ordered and received a spare MY 2023 3-piece bell  crank assy for the rear sus just to have it, Lexon sent it for a 30 buck S&H fee. 

The good:  headtube cable routing, sweet geometry, cush air-flex ride helped by CF wheelset and CF bars, gorgeous paint job which I protected with 3M Rhino Skin, and last but not least, low cost-- as I basically threw existing parts onto an $1,075 frame (with decent shock, headset, and axles included).  The less than good:  rear triangle is a little flexy but tolerable, had to lathe-up improved spacers for for rear sus external linkage arms and replace damaged bearings, no metallic insert for NDS rear axle hole.

Just so I understand, did you take a normal Lexon Spirit and convert it to an E bike or do they make an E-bike frame?

Vipassana

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2023, 10:27:07 PM »
He converted it using an aftermarket kit. Lexon does not make a Scott Lumen equivalent yet.

h-habilis

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2023, 11:00:47 PM »
Just so I understand, did you take a normal Lexon Spirit and convert it to an E bike or do they make an E-bike frame?

This Spirit manual bike was converted using a motor kit I had from a prior project and a self built battery, eventually this bike will receive a much lighter and less powerful motor system and lower capacity lighter battery.

thomasmd

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2023, 11:15:43 AM »
I ordered one too. I typically do the same as Mathesonmd and build a couple a year. I am going to try out the new SRAM T-type drivetrain on this one.

Vipassana

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2023, 01:15:05 AM »
$2000 drivetrain on $1200 frame!  ;)

Been there before though. Built my $550 hardtail frame up with a $1200 drivetrain (at the time X01 1x11).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 10:14:12 AM by Vipassana »

carbonazza

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2023, 02:22:34 AM »
... and a self built battery...
I was going to ask about the nice looking battery, until reading it is self built  :o
Congrats! Do you have some more details about it?

I would never have dared to rivet a carbon frame.
If you have some more details, I'm interested too.

Vipassana

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2023, 10:19:48 AM »
I was going to ask about the nice looking battery, until reading it is self built  :o
Congrats! Do you have some more details about it?

I would never have dared to rivet a carbon frame.
If you have some more details, I'm interested too.

On my hardtail, the bottle cages came loose after years of use. I neglected to fix them right away and the rattling of heavy bottle/cage caused the holes to oversize.  New RivNuts couldn't be installed unless I went with a really big size, like an M8.  So I moved up an inch on the down tube, drilled two new holes, and installed the new M5 RivNuts.  I was nervous to drill carbon, but it was easy and there was very minimal splinters with a sharp bit and slow/light force.

I was also surprised how thin the downtube actually is. I would estimate it was ~1mm thick?