Author Topic: LightCarbon 918?  (Read 24753 times)

Vipassana

Re: LightCarbon 918?
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2023, 11:14:31 AM »
This frame looks really promising. The "clearance" for 36T looks too small.  The finishing issues are a bit disappointing, but very typical of these direct-sourced frames and should not really cause issue beyond annoyance.

If I had not already bought a bike, this is probably the frame I would go with.  A bunch of neat features and a good weight.

ShaneW

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2023, 04:57:28 AM »
I've used zip ties on the cable housings, under the headset, to give them slack. Like you, I would get the cables binding when turning the handlebars.

Can you share more info on how you used zip ties to provide the slack needed under headset? Also- since the access ports rotate with the fork/ handlebars, does it matter which side you use? Example- I will only be running shift and rear brake housings, so would I want to use the right hand side then?

Thanks!

jefflinde

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2023, 03:19:03 PM »
@jefflinde and @vidlee, are your cables crossing after they exit the headset? I'm not sure what the protocol is or if its just aesthetics.

I have tried both ways.  right now I have my right side controls going in the right side hole and left to left.  if I push the cables into the headset to provide the slack inside the frame they only stay for a bit and then pop back out.  once they pop out they bind the next time I turn. 

More info on the zip tie solution would be great.  I was thinking of pushing them into the frame and then zip-tieing them in place. 

ShaneW

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2023, 05:19:30 AM »
I sent an email to John at LightCarbon yesterday asking if he had any tech info on the proper method of routing or securing the cables as some owners have experienced binding, etc.

He said he had not heard of this and would like a video to forward to the R&D people. If anyone can take a quick video and forward it to LightCarbon, they might provide a solution.

vidlee

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2023, 03:30:33 PM »
I'm running AXS setup so I don't have much running through the headset. Only the shock lockout and rear brake is routed within the frame. That being said, YMMV.

Here is my housing routing:

Under the headset I have zip ties that stops the housing from being fed all the way out back to the top:

Another view- the zip tie stops provides enough slack, within the frame, to prevent binding when the handle bar is turned either way.

ShaneW

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2023, 06:27:57 PM »
Thanks so much for the details and photos! So no seal or grommet around the cable ports? 
Maybe some heat shrink tube to protect the hose and housing might help a bit.
I saw a cable route headset by Token Technology that had a cutaway of a frame with fork and they had a zip tie around the headtube securing the control lines.

Smackpappy

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2023, 07:42:23 PM »
What rear shock and lockout are u using. I'm super interested in this build

ShaneW

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2023, 06:19:13 AM »
What rear shock and lockout are u using. I'm super interested in this build
I have a RockShox Monarch RL waiting for my frame to arrive.

Imcoolto

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2023, 04:09:36 PM »
Finished building. It's a few hairs under 26lbs (11.79kg). Planning to ride soon, will report back.

Boybiskit

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2023, 07:26:58 PM »
That looks  8). Very interested to hear how it rides as I think about upgrading from Airwolf 026 to full suspension for this year.

Imcoolto

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2023, 12:54:33 AM »
Went for the maiden voyage night ride. 8.69 miles (13.98km), 1,103 ft (336.19m), 1hour moving time, 1hour 20min elapsed time (had to made bike adjustments, take fotos and some street crossings). Maiden ride was mostly climbing and XC.

My local trails are XC and my background has been XC. My previous, most used, bike is a BXT hard tail (carbon) and I also have an old Kona Hei Hei (FS alloy).

The LC 918 is my first modern geo bike and even though I've had one ride, it was a blast and I'm looking forward to riding it more. I was surprised how well it climbed and its efficiency. It's not a hard tail, but it's no slouch and well worth the trade off for FS comfort and handling.

I don't have regrets yet and will keep posted in the future.

federic000

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2023, 02:08:25 AM »
Finished building. It's a few hairs under 26lbs (11.79kg).

That's great, what size is it? Any trouble with cable routing?

Imcoolto

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2023, 09:21:55 AM »
That's great, what size is it? Any trouble with cable routing?

Size medium and I did not have troubles with cable routing. I did not use zip ties under the headset and I don't have any binding.

The only housings I'm running through the heatset are the dropper and brake.

ShaneW

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2023, 11:38:32 AM »
My 918 frame and carbon wheelset shipped last week! Time to tear down the parts donor bike and clean thing up. Mostly XO1 drive and a 110mm SID.

CB

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2023, 02:01:14 AM »
My 918 frame and carbon wheelset shipped last week! Time to tear down the parts donor bike and clean thing up. Mostly XO1 drive and a 110mm SID.

Hi! New on the forum.  I'm looking to build a new xc marathon bike that is slightly slacker than my current scalpel that has a head tube angle of about 71 degrees  ::).  Love this frame and also the FM909/FM1206.

Great seeing all the amazing builds and technical knowledge here.

What wheels did you settle on ShaneW?

Cheers
Christoff