Author Topic: LightCarbon 918?  (Read 24409 times)

Roli78

Re: LightCarbon 918?
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2023, 02:10:54 AM »
I was considering a 918 as well, mainly due to the 2 Bottle cages, however i went for the 917. and i have to say: no regrets here! Quality good, 120mm travel, remote is well solved with a hole in the frame. 11kg w/o pedals is nice too. I combined it with their handlebar AM12 (didnt trust the integrated cc bar as i am a little on the heavier side. Also here, nice product.

Remedy 7

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2023, 01:14:58 AM »
Make sure you triple check the torque on the lower shock bolts.

ShaneW

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2023, 07:43:50 AM »
Hi! New on the forum.  I'm looking to build a new xc marathon bike that is slightly slacker than my current scalpel that has a head tube angle of about 71 degrees  ::).  Love this frame and also the FM909/FM1206.

Great seeing all the amazing builds and technical knowledge here.

What wheels did you settle on ShaneW?

Cheers
Christoff

I went with LC's "Cheap" carbon wheels- 87MB-MC932GP-1423  Their 87 generic straight pull hubs with 932 graphene rims and bladed pillar spokes. Total weight on a laboratory analytical scale: 1445.5 grams. They look awesome with the "dimpled" rims! Taping was easy and they set up tubeless without issues.

ShaneW

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2023, 10:52:01 AM »
So my frame and wheelset arrived and I have been doing the slow build this week! Ill share a photos later. Frame notes first:

Size Large painted glossy Pantone 624C. Paint is fantastic, not a chip or miss anywhere and the color is perfect.

Seatpost fit is pretty sloppy. Seems a tad over 31.6 mm seat tube bore.I will try a different post, as this fit is with an ebay carbon. I might have to insert a shim of a couple thousandths of an inch to fix this.

Rear Dropout Spacing is a little wide by 3 or 4 mm. Axle pulls gap closed just fine and tightens to torque without issue.

Shock install was no issue and fit perfect.

Left Bottom Bracket threads were a bit of a challenge. I should have chased the threads with a tap but was able to get the cup in straight using the crank axle as a guide and press using an old BB cup and some oil first.

Chainring Clearance: I run a 34t WolfTooth Oval and it clears the lower stay just fine. Not sure on a 36 round, 36 oval would not clear it.

Headset: There is nothing in mountain bikes more stupid than running cables and hoses through the top of the headset. Aesthetic value is Zero. A sharp radius is created in the shift cable hosing to get under my handlebars and to the shifter. I am running only shift and rear brake though the frame. I have one 10mm spacer under my stem. I started with both exiting on the right, toward my shifter and brake lever but that seemed too tight of bend, now have them on the left.

Those that have built one of these- What side did you end up running your right hand controls on?

Cable routing through the frame was nice and smooth with no issues. I did slide foam damper tubes over both inside the main triangle. Headset fitment is nice. I do wish it had 1-1/8th inch upper and normal cable routes exiting on the side for smoother lines and cable actuation though.

Rear brake hose rote is odd, but works. Brake mount will not fit on chain stay location so has to be on upper. I ran brake inside stays and over to the shimano banjo bolt on the outside of the XT brake.

Bottle cage threads are aligned and clean. Large frame size has mounting for 2 bottle cages. The seat tube location WILL fit a cage, BUT a small/ 21oz  bottle will never fit. This would be a good spot for storage in a cage or using a strap like WolfTooth offers instead of H2O.

Oh, did I mention how f#cking stupid 'through headset' cable routing is??

That is all for now!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 08:30:07 PM by ShaneW »

CB

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2023, 10:54:45 PM »
Thanx for the great update!
+1 on those headsets

wwwru

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2023, 05:28:28 AM »
Hi. I am interested in this frame. Quick question. Does it use the universal derailleur hanger or some specific one? Maybe a canyon copy?

ShaneW

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2023, 07:14:19 AM »
Hi. I am interested in this frame. Quick question. Does it use the universal derailleur hanger or some specific one? Maybe a canyon copy?

I ordered a spare with my frame. It is not a universal.

Technic

« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2023, 01:57:00 PM »
Anyone use 165*45 shock on this frame? any problem?

ShaneW

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2023, 09:53:45 AM »
I went with the recommended 38mm stroke. I bought this specifically for the 110mm rear travel. Had I wanted more, there are plenty of frame options out there without resorting to trying an out of spec shock length.

jefflinde

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2023, 11:21:14 AM »

I went with the standard 38mm shock as well and I would guess that you would run into seat tube clearance issues with a longer stroke shock.   You would be getting over 120mm of travel and I don’t think the frame can clear that.    Would look at the lcfs958 if you want more travel.  I have that frame as well and it is an awesome mid travel frame.  It builds up pretty light as well.  I am right around 26lbs with 130/130 and an XT build

Smackpappy

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2023, 05:31:04 AM »
Has anyone been able to build a really light weight version of this bike?  I have a beefier trek fuel ex but I want a lighter xc race bike.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 08:25:52 AM by Smackpappy »

jefflinde

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2023, 04:41:17 PM »
Has anyone been able to build a really light weight version of this bike?  I have a beefier trek fuel ex but I want a lighter xc race bike.

Not sure how light "really light" is to you but I have a decently light bike at 24.8 lbs.  it currently has alloy wheels and tubes as I wait for my carbon wheels to be finished.   currently I have a SR Suntour 34mm fork and shock, XT drive train, XTR brakes and rotors and then carbon bar and seat post.  the wheels will loose about 500g and I could probably take another 100-150 if i went to a Fox SC fork in the 32mm.  I also have the PRO Tharsis Bar and stem which are a bit portly.  the stem is 160g and bars are like 170 i think.  Going to an Uno kalloy stem and some flat carbon bars would take another 80-100g off of the total there.  I did go with the ZTTO 12 spd cassette.  it is crazy light and machined from one piece.  lighter than XTR i think and mounts as one big chunk instead of individual cogs and spacers. 

i think if you tried and had deepish pockets you could get into the 22 lbs range pretty easily.  wheels and tires will be a big factor as will fork choice.   

jefflinde

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2023, 08:30:38 PM »
Finally not -10° outside so I can get a pic.

zilcho

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2023, 10:58:52 AM »
For anyone running AXS/a single brake hose internally, have you found a solution for filling the other holes in the headset cover?

ShaneW

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2023, 07:18:23 PM »

Im at 24.75 lbs. Not sure how the other guy got the sane weight with a bunch of aluminum parts. My build is SiD fork, XO1 mechanical w carbon cranks, Light Carbon wheelset at 1445 grams,  generic carbon bars and seat post. I'm at 24.75 size large, one bottle cage, wahoo computer and mount and pedals of course.