Author Topic: LightCarbon 918?  (Read 24864 times)

StefanB

Re: LightCarbon 918?
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2022, 01:03:15 AM »
Hi Stefan, nice build! How does the rear suspension works? smooth or a bit hard? Thank you for your help.

Thank you :-)

I will not take the LCFS918 outside before spring. Here in Göteborg its only mud, snow and rain for the coming 3-4 months. So mid april im hoping to take the bike out on a dry trail.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 01:05:21 AM by StefanB »

Technic

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2022, 03:29:21 PM »
It seems that another factory sells it, the question is which will be the famous brand?

2023 new suspension OEM famous brand 29--深圳市碳碳运动器材有限公司
http://tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=1075

ShaneW

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2022, 10:14:28 AM »
Who has one of these AND actually ridden it? I see some people have said they ordered a frame, pictures of builds but zero comments on ride quality.

Ho owns and rides this frame VS building it and just letting sit for months?

zilcho

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2022, 08:23:36 PM »
Who has one of these AND actually ridden it? I see some people have said they ordered a frame, pictures of builds but zero comments on ride quality.

Ho owns and rides this frame VS building it and just letting sit for months?

You chose to make your first post an attack on the members of the forum b/c there isn't a review that meets your expectations?

Maybe spend some time researching geometry and suspension, those will tell you most of the story for any frame. After that, as with reviews anywhere, negative reviews will be more likely than positive so the lack of posts is a good sign, compared to the AM831 that has dozens of pages across multiple posts b/c of its issues.

It's a carbon frame from a reputable supplier. There's maybe a handful of members that have enough name brand frames and Chinese frames to make any meaningful conclusion from riding this one. Do you actually gain anything from some big brand review that says this frame is light, nimble, handles great, climbs well, descends like a brick? It's all subjective, and most reviews are paid, so what is it that you're expecting a random forum member to provide you here?

Tijoe

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2022, 12:33:17 PM »
You chose to make your first post an attack on the members of the forum b/c there isn't a review that meets your expectations?

Maybe spend some time researching geometry and suspension, those will tell you most of the story for any frame. After that, as with reviews anywhere, negative reviews will be more likely than positive so the lack of posts is a good sign, compared to the AM831 that has dozens of pages across multiple posts b/c of its issues.

It's a carbon frame from a reputable supplier. There's maybe a handful of members that have enough name brand frames and Chinese frames to make any meaningful conclusion from riding this one. Do you actually gain anything from some big brand review that says this frame is light, nimble, handles great, climbs well, descends like a brick? It's all subjective, and most reviews are paid, so what is it that you're expecting a random forum member to provide you here?

I didn't read ShaneW's first post as an attack at all. I have found the majority of the threads about a given frame lack information regarding how the frame actually rides/handles.   I am still newer on the forum, and when I started reading some of the threads on many frame discussed here, I felt like I wasted many hours reading page after page of almost worthless comments, just to glean some good posts regarding how a given frame handles, or its manufacturing quality and many other details I was hoping to find, that I didn't find.  (Primary example is the thread on the Carbona 909. 40 pages, 365 posts as of today, where after reading every post, i found only 6 posts regarding how the frame handles/rides.)
If I use myself as an example, I would be able to very well describe how any given road bike or gravel bike frame handles, but for other classes/types of frames, like full suspension mtb frames, I haven't ridden large enough of a variety of FS bikes to be able to provide a good review.   Therefore I hoped to find good information on how discussed Chinese frames handle, but I have found this information lacking, or I have been unable find it. 
Is this because most of us are not die hard riders, that only have limited experience riding a lot of different rides, or do all the bikes handle good enough that it isn't worth commenting about, because they meet the purchaser's/rider's expectations.

zilcho

« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2022, 01:10:06 PM »
If I use myself as an example, I would be able to very well describe how any given road bike or gravel bike frame handles, but for other classes/types of frames, like full suspension mtb frames, I haven't ridden large enough of a variety of FS bikes to be able to provide a good review.   Therefore I hoped to find good information on how discussed Chinese frames handle, but I have found this information lacking, or I have been unable find it. 
Is this because most of us are not die hard riders, that only have limited experience riding a lot of different rides, or do all the bikes handle good enough that it isn't worth commenting about, because they meet the purchaser's/rider's expectations.

My point is that some random person on the internet saying a bike handles well doesn't tell you anything. What is their background, where are they riding, what frames are they comparing to, what's the suspension setup, tire choice and pressure, what's their skill level, what are their expectations? Are you really going to be satisfied if someone posts "I got out for a ride today, bike handles great!"? Like I mentioned, there's a few members that have built multiple frames that could give any meaningful comparison, otherwise most seem to be coming from much older frames or are just getting back in to mountain biking, so what is their feedback on handling worth?

Most of the frames are using reasonable design choices for the geometry, with some being very close to modern industry designs. Pair that with how different suspension designs work and you'll have a pretty good starting point for how a frame will handle.

ShaneW

« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2022, 09:43:18 PM »
I meant no attack on anyone. I worked in the US bike biz for over 25 years. I've sold thousands,  built hundreds,  and know my way through  frame geo charts. I have a 918 on order as of Dec 1.

A ride review may have zero value- to you. I am intrigued in rider opinions of actually riding one.

I'm also not new to China sourced carbon frames. I have a Corbonda gravel rig and a 918 on order.

If you can provide feedback and opinions on the actual ride, I'd love to hear your thoughts. If you want to attack me for the question, you are of no help to me nor anyone else. Thanks for adding zero value to this thread.

ShaneW

« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2022, 10:01:17 PM »
Also, Thank you Tijoe, and merry Christmas!

jefflinde

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2022, 10:21:15 PM »
My biggest issue is the -10 degree air temps and 2 ft of snow outside.  i like to build over the winter and then in the spring i can get back outside.   also, it has been tricky getting parts at a good price.  Finally have all the items i need, now just need to find time to build it up.

ShaneW

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2022, 07:32:19 AM »
John at LightCarbon said my frame is getting painted and the wheelset I also ordered has been built. Should ship pretty soon.

I'm moving parts from my current ride to the 918 and have all the parts and pieces on hand and ready.

We just got 2 feet of snow too- fat bike time for sure! I'll build the new bike as time and weather permits and get at least a lap around the block in as soon as possible.

jefflinde

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2022, 09:45:07 AM »
Are you guys that have built their bikes up getting issues with the cables going through the headset?  i am getting binding on the cables when i turn the bars.  Also the inside of the top cap is really sharp and is scraping the cables.  Did any one else have this issue and how did you solve it?

ShaneW

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2022, 06:44:15 AM »
My experience with this style of routing is limited to a few bikes I've seen on shop floors. It seems the extra slack that used to be between your brake and shifter is now in the frame. I think your housing/brake hose is too short possibly. You need some slack under the headset to allow for the fork rotation and soften the angle through the cable ports.

vidlee

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2022, 01:34:52 AM »
I've used zip ties on the cable housings, under the headset, to give them slack. Like you, I would get the cables binding when turning the handlebars.

Imcoolto

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2023, 02:12:30 AM »
I've received my frame after waiting 30+ days for paint. Building has been good and the only two issues so far are the paint around the cage bolts (not a big deal though) and the lack of space using a 36T chain ring. The specs say max 36T but it seems a little too close. Thoughts?

Imcoolto

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2023, 02:21:38 AM »
@jefflinde and @vidlee, are your cables crossing after they exit the headset? I'm not sure what the protocol is or if its just aesthetics.