Author Topic: Mullet shifting for gravel  (Read 722 times)

Confused

Mullet shifting for gravel
« on: August 04, 2022, 08:39:07 PM »
Does anyone have good experiences with a mullet (road levers, MTB derailleur) in 12x?  If so, which components did you go with?

jfcb

Re: Mullet shifting for gravel
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 07:37:16 AM »
yes, electronic Sram AXS force shifters + eagle derailleur. That works perfect as expected with a sram 10-50t cassette or even a shimano 12speed mtb cassette .
For mechanical, you could check Ratiotechnology.com for solutions if you still have sram 11speed road gear lying around. Personally no experience.

s3si1u

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 11:43:42 AM »
I have a set of Force AXS shifters with an Eagle XX1 AXS derailleur that I picked up used on a whim. They're just laying around right now and I haven't thought of a way to use this stuff, but it would be perfect for a mullet build. I already have a gravel bike with a mullet setup and don't need another one .
On my current gravel bike (Poseidon X) I'm running SRAM Rival 1x with a Garbaruk cage and pulley wheel mod on the rear derailleur. The Garbaruk cage allows your SRAM 1x derailleur of choice to function with up to 10-50 tooth mtb cassettes. I've got mine set up with an 11-50 tooth Sunshine 11 speed cassette and a 42 tooth chainring. This should work with your 11 or 12 speed SRAM derailleur of choice, looks cool and is much cheaper than a full AXS setup.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:50:53 AM by s3si1u »
Instagram: @aerosloth

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 11:32:50 PM »
Yep! a dozen of them.
Started with the SRAM etap HRD first gen 11sp, with a 40T garbaruk ring and a 11/36 cassette.
Then with AXS Red and Force shifters, with Rival ones at the end of this month.
And AXS Eagle XX1, X01 and now GX derailleurs.
Usually with a 46T ring round or 44 oval and 10/50 or 10/52 cassettes.
Even one with an AXS Reverb, hitting both shifter pads to trigger it.

A friend went with a mechanical 12sp Eagle derailleur and the Gevenalle lever.
But in this case you need to check where the shifter cable exit the frame.
Road/Gravel bikers have the cable exit at the very end of the seatstay/chainstay.
While an MTB derailleur is designed for a cable exit below the chainstay, forcing you to an unusual hose path to the derailleur.
Here is a good set of options: https://bikepacking.com/gear/guide-to-mullet-drivetrains/