Author Topic: Looking for a proper CX frame - Not a gravel frame labeled as CX  (Read 838 times)

patliean1

Howdy,

What are folks using these days for pure cyclocross frames? Earlier today I helped my bike club setup the CX course for our annual local race. Not a single person I seen was using a gravel bike, only CX specific setups.

And now I have fear of missing out. Any suggestions?

pearl

Re: Looking for a proper CX frame - Not a gravel frame labeled as CX
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 11:25:04 AM »
as much as i love building the Chinese frames, you could easily find a older disc CX frame for around the same price as a new Chinese frame... with CX frames getting beat on so bad, I hate dumping money into them! stick with cheaper components and spend the money on wheels.

patliean1

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 05:14:27 PM »
as much as i love building the Chinese frames, you could easily find a older disc CX frame for around the same price as a new Chinese frame... with CX frames getting beat on so bad, I hate dumping money into them! stick with cheaper components and spend the money on wheels.

This has crossed my mind, and I'm glad someone else is thinking this way. Thank you!!

pearl

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 08:19:39 PM »
There’s no reason to put anything more than 105/rival on these things!

kbike

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 02:48:00 PM »
I have a cx frame that has qr and post mount disc brakes. I use novatec hubs on my going rowdy disc wheels because I can change them from 135 qr to 142x12 and use hg and xd cassettes. I built my cx 7 years ago. I really don't know of a thru axle and flat mount disc cx frame.  I know guys use v brake rim brake bikes for cx.  That way you can fit larger cx tires. 

I originally used 9 speed microshift forte on my cx with cable pull hydros. Right now it has shimano 685 shifters and 785 brakes with 46x30. I'm about to strip the groupset to use for another build. So it'll mostlikely be going back to the 9 speed or sensah 11 speed.

s3si1u

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 04:05:02 PM »
I can think of some alloy options. The Ventana El Martillo comes to mind, as well as the Poseidon X. Check out Poseidon for a budget friendly frame. Ventana can even make you full custom geometry if you wish.
Instagram: @aerosloth