Author Topic: RRS Kit SPD-SL Carbon Pedals  (Read 1134 times)

RRS Kit SPD-SL Carbon Pedals
« on: September 07, 2022, 09:57:40 PM »
Just received my new SPD-SL compatible pedals from Aliexpress seller. The pedal body is based around a 3K carbon weave construction with a steel spindle axle for a respectable weight of 216 grams per pair. The spindles felt a bit tight when I tried to spin the pedal body around them. Maybe they will loosen up with gradual use which remains to be seen. Overall, very light compared to a stock Shimano SPD-SL pedal which range between 260ish grams for an Ultegra pedal to over 300 grams for a PD-550 model.

Comparing to a Dura-Ace pedal which will cost us around US$280, I paid USD80 for these clones which is really a steal. Furthermore, the Dura-Ace PD9100 pedalset weigh in at 234 grams which is 18 grams heavier than this pair of carbon pedals.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004100395605.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.5f1118024uVkSu

So far, they have not gone on the bike but I will be mounting them today for my coming weekend rides so will know if they are durable and secure like the real deal.

eucalyptus

Re: RRS Kit SPD-SL Carbon Pedals
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 01:48:36 AM »
Wow this is something I haven't seen before, very excited to hear more after you have had the chance to test further.

I just picked up mint condition PD-R9000 pedals for $80 bucks at 240 gram which I felt was a really good deal. But next on my list is a set of Favero Assioma Duo as I need a power meter to match my new THM Clavicula SE crankset

Velovelo

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 02:39:52 AM »
If it works great this is definitely something to consider.

Thanks for sharing.

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 03:36:15 AM »
If it works great this is definitely something to consider.

Thanks for sharing.
Even more if they come with a Ti spindle !
However carbon is not very good at receiving hits, and my pedals by their look seem to get quite a few.

eucalyptus

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 05:30:39 AM »
Even more if they come with a Ti spindle !
However carbon is not very good at receiving hits, and my pedals by their look seem to get quite a few.

Dura ace is forged carbon and never one seen be in a thousand pieces  ::) What kind of riding do you do smashing your pedals on a road bike  :o

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 02:15:08 PM »
Dura ace is forged carbon and never one seen be in a thousand pieces  ::) What kind of riding do you do smashing your pedals on a road bike  :o
I didn't know carbon could be forged.
"Forged carbon was created jointly between Lamborghini and the Callaway Golf Company in the mid-2000s"  :o

I ride Time pedals with Ti spindles, they are mainly plastic, I replaced the body after 2 years, as they were quite beaten up. My MTB and gravel die soon too, but you're right on a road bike, I need to check my style :D

RDY

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 06:19:29 PM »
I don't think there really is such a thing as 'forged carbon'.  It's most likely just normal carbon reinforced thermoplastic with a silly name.

eucalyptus

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 11:07:24 PM »
I don't think there really is such a thing as 'forged carbon'.  It's most likely just normal carbon reinforced thermoplastic with a silly name.

shorturl.at/hmQU9

*seems difficult sharing a youtube link on this forum, the link disappears
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 11:12:39 PM by eucalyptus »

kbike

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 11:43:36 PM »
They do excellent job explaining how to use carbon fiber on their yt channel

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 02:53:33 AM »
Hi team,

I just had my first ride on them today. Here is the non-narrative review video post on my blogsite.

cyclistsg.wixsite.com/mysite/post/lightweight-carbon-fibre-shimano-spd-sl-pedals

Happy to take questions if you have any, thank you.

Disclaimer: I am not paid to test products or present paid reviews. All contents are strictly from my hobby and passion.

carbonazza

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2022, 03:27:03 PM »
...Happy to take questions if you have any, thank you...

Did you dismantle them?
To see if they have the same axle as Shimano.
And then maybe find titanium axle for an upgrade  8)

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 01:19:55 AM »
Unfortunately I did not do a teardown of the pedal spindle to have a look inside. However, I do have a similar alloy version of the pedal and took out the spindle to inspect closer.
FYI the spindle length is 85mm.

I believe that given both pedal types uses an idenitical design, the spindles should be the same type.

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 09:24:26 AM »
Did you dismantle them?
To see if they have the same axle as Shimano.
And then maybe find titanium axle for an upgrade  8)

Following the  dismantle of the alloy version of the SPD-SL pedal, I have been scouring the depths of Aliexpress but nothing compatible has shown up so far.
Keep the fingers crossed and hope I can find the elusive Titanium spindle and will share the information.

Cheerio.