Author Topic: Single Speeding a 29er Full Rigid - Lessons Identified  (Read 13803 times)

Carbon_Dude

Re: Single Speeding a 29er Full Rigid - Lessons Identified
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 09:18:34 AM »
Hi Jake, I'm sure there are people who want SS horizontal dropouts, you just don't see them on the forums much.  When you do, many use the eccentric BB to take up the chain slack.  A horizontal dropout would be a simpler, possibly cheaper, solution for those riders.

The IP-256 & IP-057 are the most popular frames right now, both have replaceable rear dropouts, they may even be the same parts for both frames.  I believe they are the same for my IP-036 & IP-057.  If you are interested in machining drop outs, you don't need a whole frame, you could get a set of thru axle drop outs and get the size, shape, and mounting from there.

If you still want to order a frame, XMIplay.com is very popular from many members on this forum.  However, there are many sellers on eBay is common as well.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:53:10 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

CADSD

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »
Thanks for the info CD. I am looking at building my own ss now, once under way ill post the build and try to get to prototyping some drops.

Jake

J6collins

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 02:47:01 AM »
Can we get another update on how the bike is holding up? How's the fork doing? Also what do you think of the integrated bars

bruto

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 07:59:37 AM »
speaking of GXP crankset in an EBB: did you guys consider using wave washers on both sides?
it's probably good enough to take up 1-1.5mm of extra spindle length and you can probably stack two if one is not enough :)

xcbarny

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 07:10:52 PM »
I've just ordered parts to complete a chiner singlespeed.

Frame will be a Workswell M062, SID RLC fork and an Origin8 EBB. I think the short chainstay on the M062 will work great on a SS.
I'll be transferring the rest of my parts over from an On One Scandal,  which had unfortunately developed a lot of corrosion, and the forks had developed a gouge in them due to an issue with the headset.

The chap at Workswell talked me into a PF30 rather than a BB30, but I think something may have been lost in translation, so hopefully it all goes together fine, and there's enough meat around the BB to hold this type of BB.

Machining horizontal dropouts could be a good way to go with these frames (I work for a machine shop) I wonder how many different types of drop out fittings there are on these Chinese frames?

David, I'm in Aus too (Brisbane). Was Just down in Canberra a few weeks ago and loved the trails there. Sparrow hill is perfect for a rigid SS!
Dashine bike Carbon Singlespeed Rocket. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,844.0.html

xcbarny

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 07:19:29 PM »
For a form fit horizontal 'drop out' to single speed a chiner hard-tail frame - I'd pay $50USD easy...

As a note of caution however, I'd be keen to see the engineering, as the stress on the rear is going to be greater due to the additional leverage on the frame.

I think it would have to be a very short slot. Say 15mm max. I think if you use a half link you'd need 12.7mm (1/2") of adjustment.
Looks like those drop outs are only held in by a couple of m4 screws. So you wouldn't want to over stress these by moving the load too far away.

David I'd be interested to hear how your Beer EBB is holding up.
Dashine bike Carbon Singlespeed Rocket. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,844.0.html