Author Topic: Epic Evo Clone  (Read 41490 times)

Kactusdog

Re: Epic Evo Clone
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2023, 09:38:50 AM »
looks like the frame is still in the process of being improved...

Very interesting. I am in communication with the seller from AWST, which your photo on the left looks to have a watermark for. What i’ve learned is:

The triangles are 1:1 copies of the original. That goes for the Brain triangle and EVO triangle. It’s the linkage that has been reworked… he says “the size is different” but doesn’t elaborate further. I wouldn’t want to drop money on the carbon linkage for it to fit but snap the rear as it hasn’t been tested to take that sort of load. I’m likely going to ask about that linkage and if there’s some sort of development recently done there I think i’ll just buy it. And pick up a used shock for it.

The seller recommends a 190x45mm shock. When asked what the max travel setup that I can have with his frame he says “Maximum stroke is 105mm. Maybe less than 100mm of travel”  ???

I’m still unsure of the leverage ratio to expect, here’s the two options. or maybe something in between…

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2023, 10:36:38 AM »
Very interesting. I am in communication with the seller from AWST, which your photo on the left looks to have a watermark for. What i’ve learned is:

The triangles are 1:1 copies of the original. That goes for the Brain triangle and EVO triangle. It’s the linkage that has been reworked… he says “the size is different” but doesn’t elaborate further. I wouldn’t want to drop money on the carbon linkage for it to fit but snap the rear as it hasn’t been tested to take that sort of load. I’m likely going to ask about that linkage and if there’s some sort of development recently done there I think i’ll just buy it. And pick up a used shock for it.

The seller recommends a 190x45mm shock. When asked what the max travel setup that I can have with his frame he says “Maximum stroke is 105mm. Maybe less than 100mm of travel”  ???

I’m still unsure of the leverage ratio to expect, here’s the two options. or maybe something in between…

leverage ratio of 1.9, that is, from the usual epic. A shock with 45mm will give you 85-90mm of travel. For use on rough terrain, this is quite enough.

If you buy, then with great interest I will read more or less old reviews. Since I'm not ready to risk and buy this frame blindly :)

--

I had a carbonda 936, it's a great frame. Now copy epic HT compared to carbonda is a cheap frame, so I am very careful about copy epic suspension

Kactusdog

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2023, 02:40:25 PM »
leverage ratio of 1.9, that is, from the usual epic. A shock with 45mm will give you 85-90mm of travel. For use on rough terrain, this is quite enough.

If you buy, then with great interest I will read more or less old reviews. Since I'm not ready to risk and buy this frame blindly :)

--

I had a carbonda 936, it's a great frame. Now copy epic HT compared to carbonda is a cheap frame, so I am very careful about copy epic suspension

My Carbonda 936 is too small for me, I am trying to sell it. I rode it 5 times.

Epic HT from which seller? I bought that as well from Spcycle and it cracked on the first test ride around the chainstay near the brake posts. Terrible and waste of time...

I doubt I will make suspension like the Epic EVO with this frame, but I do want to understand what was altered and if it's doable to attach the link/yoke of the epic evo and everything match up. Reading the original conversations, there are some inconsistencies, possibly they misunderstood each other.

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2023, 10:34:18 PM »
My Carbonda 936 is too small for me, I am trying to sell it. I rode it 5 times.

Epic HT from which seller? I bought that as well from Spcycle and it cracked on the first test ride around the chainstay near the brake posts. Terrible and waste of time...

I doubt I will make suspension like the Epic EVO with this frame, but I do want to understand what was altered and if it's doable to attach the link/yoke of the epic evo and everything match up. Reading the original conversations, there are some inconsistencies, possibly they misunderstood each other.

my epicHT from spcycle...

attaching a suspension link from epic evo will not work, different chainstay. On a copy of the chainstay from the brain epic, they simply removed the hole under the brain

Kactusdog

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2023, 11:32:40 PM »
my epicHT from spcycle...

attaching a suspension link from epic evo will not work, different chainstay. On a copy of the chainstay from the brain epic, they simply removed the hole under the brain

My friend, AWST sells 1:1 EVO front and rear triangles, but the linkage and yoke is a copy of the geo of the Epic w/ brain. Idk why, probably less carbon strength needed for that leverage ratio, either way i think i’m getting it.

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2023, 12:03:01 AM »
either way i think i’m getting it.

I will read your comments about this frame with great pleasure and interest. How well the frame is made, how reliable it is, how rigid it is in bending and twisting

wwwru

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2023, 04:51:14 AM »
My friend, AWST sells 1:1 EVO front and rear triangles, but the linkage and yoke is a copy of the geo of the Epic w/ brain. Idk why, probably less carbon strength needed for that leverage ratio, either way i think i’m getting it.

Linkage layout is what increases the leverage ratio on the epic. To accommodate the new linkage, rear triangles are different on the epic vs Evo. Front triangles are identical.

Kactusdog

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2023, 09:03:19 AM »
Linkage layout is what increases the leverage ratio on the epic. To accommodate the new linkage, rear triangles are different on the epic vs Evo. Front triangles are identical.

Yes, we are on the same page. There is no brain involved on the frame I am personally looking at from AWST. This is the one is as seen from post #20 The seller confirmed his rear Brain triangle and EVO triangles are 1:1. It is slightly different from your experience with Airwolf.

The only difference is the yoke and linkage, which the seller confirmed this morning that they've all been updated to the one shared in the photo on the left by ilyamaksimov from post #74. Looks to have been made more 'minimal' or refined. It is still not the 110 or more in travel, but even if it is 95, I think that will be sufficient for my application. That 438 chainstay geo paired with my 120 SID, I think I will be happy.

As far leverage ratio goes, it looks like we are still looking at 1:2 as shown in the '21 Epic w Brain curvature due to that older geo linkage. I like small bump compliance, but also need protection from bottoming out. What shock tune in Rockshox would serve this ratio? 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 10:31:36 AM by Kactusdog »

Kactusdog

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2023, 10:57:17 PM »
I will read your comments about this frame with great pleasure and interest. How well the frame is made, how reliable it is, how rigid it is in bending and twisting

I will give you a detailed of a report as I can! I would love to see more people on this frame, as long as they accept it is not an Epic Evo and are ok with the 90mm suspension  :D

I wish I could know what happened to the member who was 3D printing his linkage...

ftajiri

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2023, 06:18:46 PM »

enough travel, it is all ok! i like this... build qith 120mm fork... be wonderfull racemachine or a fast all-do-it bike

wwwru

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2023, 08:42:17 PM »
Yes, we are on the same page. There is no brain involved on the frame I am personally looking at from AWST. This is the one is as seen from post #20 The seller confirmed his rear Brain triangle and EVO triangles are 1:1. It is slightly different from your experience with Airwolf.

I asked people on the EPIC Evo Facebook page to give some rough measurements of the rear triangle, they they did not match up at all to that of the regular Epic or to what I received from Airwolf.

Kactusdog

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2023, 08:45:11 PM »
I asked people on the EPIC Evo Facebook page to give some rough measurements of the rear triangle, they they did not match up at all to that of the regular Epic or to what I received from Airwolf.

My guess would be because of your Brain rear triangle. But if not matching up to the OEM, then that means Airwolf doesn’t use a 1:1. AWST does, they use the EVO rear, 1:1.

wwwru

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2023, 08:46:52 PM »
enough travel, it is all ok! i like this... build qith 120mm fork... be wonderfull racemachine or a fast all-do-it bike

Putting a 120 on the front of the regular epic will be make the seat tube angle slacker.

wwwru

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2023, 08:52:45 PM »
My guess would be because of your Brain rear triangle. But if not matching up to the OEM, then that means Airwolf doesn’t use a 1:1. AWST does, they use the EVO rear, 1:1.

I don't know about this AWST seller, seems like all of them tell you what you want to hear. Get it, and let us know what you think. Hopefully it works for you. What are you planning to run on the front (travel)?

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2023, 05:41:57 AM »

how many kilometers and climb?

Are the bushings in the suspension link still loose? when the backlash appears where will you get new bushings?