Author Topic: LCFS958 Build (eventually)  (Read 3947 times)

Remedy 7

Re: LCFS958 Build (eventually)
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2022, 06:30:23 PM »
I know that feeling, it was quite hard time to assemble again. I actually mentioned that if i recall correctly. Damaged the paint as well, nothing serious but still worth mentioning. It will be chemically bonded in weeks during this season. No frame protection yet!

My paint guy found this totally unnecessary. I also made a research and went with the less time consuming 3 layer clear coat.
Base coat
30mins
Clearcoat
10mins
another layer
10mins....

I'm pretty sure your method is better with frame tight clearance since it has thinner coating overall.

Let us know the close up results under daylight :).

Here’s a little peek. I built it using a few parts off my 947 while I wait for some last minute stuff. Going to give it a shake down at the park tomorrow.

Remedy 7

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2022, 04:12:45 PM »
Here it is all built up. Survived a day at the park and I quite like it.

More to come.

Remedy 7

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2022, 05:07:50 PM »
Couple more shots

jonnybearback

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2022, 05:00:22 PM »
remedy7, so you know, next time you paint, montana gold wet sands pretty nicely. You could've knocked down that texture that those Montana cans give before going to the spraymax top coat

Remedy 7

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2022, 04:34:04 AM »
remedy7, so you know, next time you paint, montana gold wet sands pretty nicely. You could've knocked down that texture that those Montana cans give before going to the spraymax top coat

You’re absolutely right and I did. I used 400 grit between coats of primer. 600 on the first and second coats, 800 on the third. One coat of sanded clear with 2000 and then one more coat of clear untouched.

All that said I rushed it due to increasingly cold weather and more so since this isn’t the front triangle I intend to use for long as it arrived with defects. I’ll spend more time on the new one now that I have a good hang of the technique.

Remedy 7

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2022, 04:37:27 AM »
Update **

Bike is currently broken. Made it three laps down the mountain at my local park and on the final lap the lower mounting bolts sheared off into the shock. I thought at first maybe they didn’t get torqued and fell out but no. It’s a shame I’m having these issue because I do enjoy the bike as a whole.

Draz

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2022, 07:46:05 AM »
Update **

Bike is currently broken. Made it three laps down the mountain at my local park and on the final lap the lower mounting bolts sheared off into the shock. I thought at first maybe they didn’t get torqued and fell out but no. It’s a shame I’m having these issue because I do enjoy the bike as a whole.
:o :o

You installed the shock, did you find trunnion side especially tight?
Compared to 947 trunnion bolt seems longer for the 958 also not supported enough?
It was almost impossible for me to install the shock without loosing linkage bolt for 947.

Remedy 7

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2022, 08:27:57 AM »
It wasn’t particularly tight by any means just a pain to actually mount due to very tight clearances. But it was torqued to 9nm a little less than the recommended 10nm but that’s what I use on my 947.

In comparison the 947 shock mounting is far easier to maneuver.

casual_build

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2022, 11:34:22 AM »
Update **

Wow! So both screws tore, that's got to be a lot of force to sheer both screws like that. Do you think everything will be fine with new screws?

Perhaps one screw sits slightly higher and takes more force? Then, when one snaps the other does too?

Remedy 7

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2022, 05:49:52 PM »

Perhaps one screw sits slightly higher and takes more force? Then, when one snaps the other does too?

That’s precisely what I think happened. If you look at the earlier post this frame had questionable mounting holes upon receiving it which I brought up to LightCarbon who tried assuring me it’s fine. Luckily I pushed for a new front triangle which looks better. New boots are also different than the first set. So we shall see.

Also im not super heavy with riding weight at about 190.

Remedy 7

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2022, 03:58:49 PM »
Quick update.

Bike is back together. LC is making me new shock mounting bolts (out of steel this time).

I did have a spare set of aluminum that came with the warrantied front triangle so I mounted my shock and took it back to the park.

Really got the suspension dialed in and this thing absolutely rips. It’s a super playful, nimble frame. The suspension feel in the rear is super predictable and ramps up nicely.

I even lent my 947 to another rider who had interest the frame.

emu26

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2022, 09:31:57 PM »
Quick update.

Bike is back together. LC is making me new shock mounting bolts (out of steel this time).

I did have a spare set of aluminum that came with the warrantied front triangle so I mounted my shock and took it back to the park.

Really got the suspension dialed in and this thing absolutely rips. It’s a super playful, nimble frame. The suspension feel in the rear is super predictable and ramps up nicely.

I even lent my 947 to another rider who had interest the frame.

Remedy can I just get you to clarify for me?
Did you paint the new front triangle or is that the original triangle that has been painted and that the bolts have broken on? If it is the original at least it is a good sign that the carbon didn't fail around those bearings.

Remedy 7

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2022, 10:31:49 PM »
This is what I named Test Frame 1 (TF1) for the same reason you ask for clarification lol. The replacement front remains on my wall unpainted. Will get around to that off-season, plus have some design in mind on TF2.

The bolts that came with TF1 were not marked with torque specs. The ones that came with TF2 are marked just like they are on my 947. I mentioned this to Wendy and the engineers confirmed it was likely a batch issue.

So as of current I am riding TF1 with TF2 bolts. Torqued to 9.5nm. Haven’t checked since this ride but will update if they’ve become loose.

Frame around the bearings is still solid with no damage other than scratched paint.

emu26

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2022, 11:45:22 PM »

Frame around the bearings is still solid with no damage other than scratched paint.

That is good to hear particularly given the condition of the carbon around those bearings in the first pic of the first post.
Sounds like LC are doing all the right things around warranty obligations and looking after their customer so big thumbs up for LC on that front.