Author Topic: TFSA Carbon Frameset Build-Up  (Read 4338 times)

Irideslowly

Re: TFSA Carbon Frameset Build-Up
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2022, 04:38:34 AM »
Thanks!

What were your issues with the build?

Serge_K

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 11:22:02 AM »
Sub 400 for the frame is impressive. Ali shows me 470 + shipping right now, did you negotiate or you were just seeing a lower price at the time? (Ali also changes offers & prices per geography).

jonathanf2

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 12:32:45 PM »
Sub 400 for the frame is impressive. Ali shows me 470 + shipping right now, did you negotiate or you were just seeing a lower price at the time? (Ali also changes offers & prices per geography).

I forgot to mention the included shipping and tax, so it was about $500 USD, plus I ordered a spared derailleur hanger which I highly recommend. I've had no problems with the hanger, but it's mounted with 1 bolt and I've heard other owners complain regarding it's durability (in case your bike falls). Also I would ask if you could swap the seat post with one that uses a different saddle mount. The stock hardware uses a round-style clamp head which needs different hardware depending on the saddle rail shape (oval or round). I opted for an oval saddle clamp, but even with carbon paste applied it kept slipping. So I had to wrap my saddle rails with gaffer tape to keep them from slipping.

This particular TFSA store (I guess there are multiple) has it, but you can look around:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804521444175.html?

Though I've seen the same frame sold lower elsewhere, I would look around at different vendors, read feedback and see how well they communicate.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2023, 05:12:34 AM »
I just finished the bike yesterday! I took it on a group ride today and she rides great! The bike feels responsive and lightweight. I only have a cheap luggage scale, but it weighed in around 16.5 lbs with fairly heavy carbon wheels and mechanical 105 groupset. Though I compared my bike to someone with an Aethos + SRAM RED and honestly they felt very similar in weight. I ran into a few issues, but nothing a good night's sleep and some morning coffee couldn't solve. I still need to do some FD tuning, but I was able to nail the fit on the initial setup.

Feel free to ask any questions!

What tire size have you fitted, do you think 32mm would fit?

jonathanf2

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2023, 08:08:04 AM »
What tire size have you fitted, do you think 32mm would fit?

28c seems to be the max.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2023, 06:54:26 AM »
28c seems to be the max.
Thank you. Looking for a new frame and this one is on the top of my list. Are you still happy with it?
May I ask what's your height and inseam? I am 172cm and 82cm and undecided between 49 and 52...

jonathanf2

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2023, 08:22:04 AM »
Thank you. Looking for a new frame and this one is on the top of my list. Are you still happy with it?
May I ask what's your height and inseam? I am 172cm and 82cm and undecided between 49 and 52...

It's a decent frame, I just had some issues on seat post/saddle clamp slipping which I fixed with some tape on the clamping area. I'm 174cm and 52cm seems to work fine, but I probably could have gone with a 49cm as well to get a more aggressive fit on the bike. Standover at 52cm isn't an issue. There's lots of standover leeway on the top tube.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2023, 09:16:18 AM »
Yeah, I just saw the reach between the 49 and 52 only differs 5mm. probably because of the different seat tube and head tube angle...

jonathanf2

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2023, 03:08:07 PM »
Yeah, I just saw the reach between the 49 and 52 only differs 5mm. probably because of the different seat tube and head tube angle...

It's your call which you would prefer. You could probably setup the 49cm a bit more aggressively, while the 52cm would be a bit more upright. I have a few stem spacers on my bike as opposed to being slammed, but it's only because I'm getting old and less flexible!

Oh one more small issue, the guide tube for the rear brake goes under the BB carbon threaded BSA shell. If you loose that guide tube position, it's hard to get the brake cable back in that area. You can still guide the brake cable where the shift cables are located, but just be careful so the brake cable doesn't interfere with the shift cables. My other semi-integrated bike frames just have a big gap on the down tube.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2023, 12:08:21 AM »
Ok thank you. I was first thinking about getting the full internal version of the frame with the integrated stem/handlebar but I am now thinking this might not be the greatest idea since you will have to disassemble half the bike for a simple bearing change... I guess I will go for the same as yours.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2023, 01:23:21 AM »
Just ordered the frame (external cables). The seller offered an integrated handlebar for a nice price so I ordered that as well. Now begins the long wait...

jonathanf2

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2023, 11:53:13 AM »
Just ordered the frame (external cables). The seller offered an integrated handlebar for a nice price so I ordered that as well. Now begins the long wait...

Did you order from the same seller? Feel free to ask any questions once you get your frameset...probably in about 1-2 months!

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2023, 12:09:12 PM »
No, I ordered from "Tfsa official store" because they were very good in their replies. But I suspect it is just the same seller as yours but a different store since they have the same business address and prices shot up at the same time and with the same amount a few days ago. They also went back to previous prices at the same time...
I am indeed counting on 2 months but hope I will have the frame in 1 month. We will see... I ordered the matte black with their logo.

jonathanf2

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2023, 12:12:25 PM »
FYI here's my bike in its current iteration. It's hovering around 16.2 lbs with my heavy 28c winter tires (Panaracer Gravelking slicks). You could easily get this frame in the 15 lbs. range if you opted to go full weight weenie on the build.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 12:30:35 PM by jonathanf2 »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2023, 12:19:16 PM »
Yes, if my calculations are correct I should get 7,3kg with the second hand ultegra 2x11 group I bought and with my 45mm wheels (1500gr so there is 300gr to gain if I wanted). But we will see  :)