Author Topic: TFSA Carbon Frameset Build-Up  (Read 4334 times)

jonathanf2

Re: TFSA Carbon Frameset Build-Up
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2023, 12:36:33 PM »
Yes, if my calculations are correct I should get 7,3kg with the second hand ultegra 2x11 group I bought and with my 45mm wheels (1500gr so there is 300gr to gain if I wanted). But we will see  :)

I just recently took apart and rebuilt my TFSA bike. I was planning to go with LTwoo 2x11 hydraulic shifters, but the left shifter was giving me issues with FD pull. I suspect it might have something to do with my cable routing through the internal drop bars, because when I removed the LTwoo shifters and checked cable pull, it seemed to work fine. On my old school 105 5800 mechanical shifters, the left indexing is nice and strong. So for now I'll just run my Juin Tech F1 calipers.

Also 7.3kg at this price point is still great. My buddy with his SRAM AXS Aethos is heavier than my bike and costing MUCH more! Lol
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 12:39:14 PM by jonathanf2 »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2023, 12:43:40 PM »
Did you go for full outer housing for the rear derailleur or only inner cable?

jonathanf2

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2023, 12:55:27 PM »
Did you go for full outer housing for the rear derailleur or only inner cable?

For my rear and front derailleur, I run the outer housing from the shifters only to the frame. Inside the frame I used the plastic guide tubes the rest of the way. For the FD I would cut the plastic guide tube right before the FD to give the shift cable some weather protection and the TFSA frame should provide a rubber gasket for the FD hole. For the RD, I run the plastic guide tube all the way to RD hole and then I used the provided Shimano flex cable for the RD. You'll mostly likely have to cut it shorter if you're running a shadow style Shimano derailleur.

Also I would tape up your seat post and saddle rails. No amount of carbon paste will prevent slippage. I used non residual bar tape + carbon paste on the seat post inside the frame. If you're using a carbon saddle with oval rails, just use gaffer tape on the rails, it'll help keep everything in place.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2023, 12:58:16 PM »
Thanks. I should get the new seat post with less setback, so maybe this one does not have the slipping problem. We'll see...

jonathanf2

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2023, 01:25:49 PM »
Thanks. I should get the new seat post with less setback, so maybe this one does not have the slipping problem. We'll see...

I've been having slipping issues with two of my bikes that use aero seat post, so the taping method seems to be the only thing that works for me. The one bike with no issues is the one with a regular round 27.2mm seat post and a more traditional saddle clamp.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2023, 01:27:28 PM »
I also hate these special seatpost... But it seems that there are not a lot of road frames without them so you don't really have a choice...