Author Topic: Ultralight hardtails  (Read 5838 times)

Ludo

Re: Ultralight hardtails
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2023, 09:41:07 PM »
I purchased one of these frame about 1-1/2 years ago.  Finally built it up about 6 months ago.  Bike total weight can just under 19 lbs, with a Sid Ultimate SL 100mm travel fork.
(Total Weight depends more on what wheels and tires I am running on it.) To date, I really like how I build up this bike.   It climbs well, it is a 'lively' great handling frame.  So far,  I really like the bike!!!

do weknow the "inspiration" for this frame design?

nicklej

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2023, 01:58:57 AM »
I had an airwolf frame in large. I'd need to check the number but that was 786g new. Mine cracked relatively quickly but it was a lively bike to ride. In the end my build was 7.6kg rigid. Lots of others had good experiences with that frame but I never have good luck. Any carbon frame and Ti frame i've owned has cracked somewhere and none of which were chiner (except the airwolf).

I don't come on here often but I think i'll give that SPCYCLE frame a go. I have lots of parts on my cannondale flash which could go over to that frame and i plan to build some 1kg wheels with those carbon/ti spokes to see if they're any good.

nicklej

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2023, 02:03:12 AM »
do weknow the "inspiration" for this frame design?

Yes, from the looks of it, they are using 2019 Specialized Epic HT geometry: https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/specialized-epic-ht-2019/

I personally love that geometry which reinforces my interest in this bad boy

Ludo

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2023, 06:30:58 AM »
I had an airwolf frame in large. I'd need to check the number but that was 786g new. Mine cracked relatively quickly but it was a lively bike to ride. In the end my build was 7.6kg rigid. Lots of others had good experiences with that frame but I never have good luck. Any carbon frame and Ti frame i've owned has cracked somewhere and none of which were chiner (except the airwolf).

I don't come on here often but I think i'll give that SPCYCLE frame a go. I have lots of parts on my cannondale flash which could go over to that frame and i plan to build some 1kg wheels with those carbon/ti spokes to see if they're any good.
Sounds like we should let you beta test then lol

nicklej

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2023, 12:25:12 PM »
Sounds like we should let you beta test then lol

Haha yes that may be best for the community :D I've emailed them but would be good to try it out!

DORLOCK

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2023, 03:14:31 PM »
Did you weigh the frame before you built it up by chance? Wondering how realistic that 780g number is.

I haven't finished yet, but I'm building on the SP-M038 frame size L (UD matte finish) . Weight without seatpost clamp, rear axle and without hanger is 830g. The quality of the threads workmanship is terrible. Communication with sp-cycle is not great either. I want to gift it to myself for Christmas. I'll be sure to write some report on the complete build then.

Ludo

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2023, 03:23:22 PM »
Man that sucks. Is there enough material for you to run a tap and clean the thread up?

DORLOCK

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2023, 04:08:25 PM »
Unfortunately, the threaded insert that is laminated in the frame is flattened around the edges, so there is not much room. I was going to put a Helicoil threaded insert in there, but somehow it's holding, so I'm not going to risk interfering with it just yet.

Enzotime

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2023, 04:35:40 PM »
Hi there, any updates on your repair and riding it?  thanks!

edraven

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2024, 08:14:04 PM »
@spcycle has the Spcycle SP-M038 been discontinued? It's no longer on the site and shows as out of stock / no longer available on Aliexpress. Is there a new ultralight frame coming?

albike

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2024, 02:55:17 AM »
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3256803985346155.html Trifox SDY20 860g $665

https://rinascltabike.com/29er-carbon-mtb-hardtail-boost-frame-913g/ Rinasclta 913g $719 EDIT: Looks like this is actually an Airwolf YFM053
I have trifox sdy 20 and its a good frame its as light as the epic ht sworks I weighted it with hardware 850g in size L without seatpost clamp,i think it isn't the stiffest frame but it isn't that bad and sometimes you don't notice it until you reach like  1600w and more but it could be the crankset tbh
less sugo more tonno

edraven

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2024, 02:18:22 PM »
I have trifox sdy 20 and its a good frame its as light as the epic ht sworks I weighted it with hardware 850g in size L

How accurate is your scale? Trifox claims 1030g on their website: https://www.trifoxbike.com/lightweight-carbon-mtb-hardtail-frame-boost-sdy20