Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 138679 times)

jonathanf2

Any references for chain catchers? Preparing for my 2-by Sram red AXS gravel build...

There's the carbon fiber one for very cheap, light af, but it's attaching the chain guide and front derailleur with only one screw - not sure whether that's really an issue
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005134527460.html?spm=a2g0o.home.0.0.650c76dbAGbdoW&mp=1

Wherease there's the heavier and slightly more expensive product below, uses 2 different screws for the chain guide and the FD:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004921767224.html?spm=a2g0o.home.0.0.650c76dbAGbdoW&mp=1

Or this one which is still light...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005677621995.html

I'll run 30/46 chainrings so another question is whether this would even be effective with such small chainring.

Don't bother with the CF chain catcher. I tried it and it's pretty weak. Mine eventually broke at the screw hole interface. I have the Muqzi chain catcher and it's much better built with quality hardware. I would definitely stick to the alloy variety. Though I stopped using these type of chain catchers all together because I'm more likely to get an outer ring chain drop as opposed to an inner ring. You're better off just getting your FD positioned as close as possible to the chainring teeth and avoid being in your small cogs when you hit bumpy terrain.

FYI - On my gravel bike I'm also running a 46/30t chainring, a GRX 400 FD and use a Ultegra RX800 RD with the clutch in the ON position.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:27:57 AM by jonathanf2 »

coffeebreak

What 12 speed MTB cassettes (HG) are good? Shimano doesn't make HG compatible 12s cassettes and my experience with Sunshine and Goldix 12s cassettes has been sub-par. The indexing was near impossible and I always had sloppy shifting in some spots. I eventually switched the freehub to MS and got Deore cassette (thanks DTSwiss) but that's not an option on my gravel bike's wheels. The LTWoo EGR deal is super tempting and I am wondering if I should keep it in 11 speed mode and use the fantastic Deore M5100 11s 11-42 cassette with it.

OR may be with LTWoo's clever app that allows fine tuning each shift the indexing issues similar to mechanical shifting can be negated?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:16:23 PM by coffeebreak »

jonathanf2

What 12 speed MTB cassettes (HG) are good? Shimano doesn't make HG compatible 12s cassettes and my experience with Sunshine and Goldix 12s cassettes has been sub-par. The indexing was near impossible and I always had sloppy shifting in some spots. I eventually switched the freehub to MS and got Deore cassette (thanks DTSwiss) but that's not an option on my gravel bike's wheels. The LTWoo EGR deal is super tempting and I am wondering if I should keep it in 11 speed mode and use the fantastic Deore M5100 11s 11-42 cassette with it.

OR may be with LTWoo's clever app that allows fine tuning each shift the indexing issues similar to mechanical shifting can be negated?

How about a Sunrace 12 speed HG MTB cassette? They're Taiwan made cassettes and I find them to be a bit higher quality. Plus they're easier to find in the US.

gf

Daer all, I've recently ordered Senicx crankset for a low budget gravel project; from the description or user's reviews I can't understand if the 3 screws for gxp chainring are included or I need to do a dedicated order. Someone with similar crankset found the screws in the box?
thanks

TidyDinosaur

Daer all, I've recently ordered Senicx crankset for a low budget gravel project; from the description or user's reviews I can't understand if the 3 screws for gxp chainring are included or I need to do a dedicated order. Someone with similar crankset found the screws in the box?
thanks
They should be included. Most of my crankset have this interface and they had all included bolts.

coffeebreak

How about a Sunrace 12 speed HG MTB cassette? They're Taiwan made cassettes and I find them to be a bit higher quality. Plus they're easier to find in the US.

Almost forgot Sunrace! Thanks for reminding me.

coffeebreak

thanks

They are included but even if they are not, it's less than 50c at hardware shop.

The size is M5x8mm.

I bought a GXP to 5 bolt adapter and it didn't come with those screws and had to get them myself.

jonathanf2

thanks

If you ordered the crankset or chainring separately they're bound to come with them. I have so many of those screws laying around from random chainrings I've purchased.

kbernstein

Are there compact chainring options for SRAM axs cranks? I can't find ali cranksets that fit all my requirements (165 or 170mm, 50-32 or 48-32, powermeter, reasonably light <700g). Even on a budget the most appealing option is shimano 105 with a 4iiii left side, often goes on sale for 200€, which makes the total crankset with PM around 300e but an alternative could be SRAM rival with powermeter spindle, even cheaper at 260ish but with rings designed for 10T start cassette (and for their flattop chains?). Are there 50-34 107BCD that don't break the bank and not made for flattop? Or should I stick with 105+4iiii left crank?

KvotheTheRaven

Are there compact chainring options for SRAM axs cranks? I can't find ali cranksets that fit all my requirements (165 or 170mm, 50-32 or 48-32, powermeter, reasonably light <700g). Even on a budget the most appealing option is shimano 105 with a 4iiii left side, often goes on sale for 200€, which makes the total crankset with PM around 300e but an alternative could be SRAM rival with powermeter spindle, even cheaper at 260ish but with rings designed for 10T start cassette (and for their flattop chains?). Are there 50-34 107BCD that don't break the bank and not made for flattop? Or should I stick with 105+4iiii left crank?

Have you looked the Xcadey cranksets and power meter? They're decently budget friendly. Mine for the crank arms alone are about 420g. The spider is around another 100g or so. I've been running mine 1x, so I'm not sure how much 2x chainrings might add, but in total the crankset weighs in the ballpark of 600g (I don't exactly remember). They even come in 160mm if that's your jam.

kbernstein

Have you looked the Xcadey cranksets and power meter? They're decently budget friendly. Mine for the crank arms alone are about 420g. The spider is around another 100g or so. I've been running mine 1x, so I'm not sure how much 2x chainrings might add, but in total the crankset weighs in the ballpark of 600g (I don't exactly remember). They even come in 160mm if that's your jam.
I only see these aliexpress.com/item/32825340170.html at 530€ shipped without chainrings, I can get rotor crankset for cheaper. That's pretty bad when 105 with 4iiii is 300€ and not much heavier around 730g
Magene P505 and Zrace RX are also both more expensive and i've heard bad things about both (cranksets, not PM itself)
Such a shame how uncompetitive the chinese are for midrange cranksets imo. It should be right up their alley with casting and milling but nobody is doing affordable, modular and not ridiculously expensive sets.

toxin

My p505 base combo has been great and honestly a onesided crank pm isnt even a comparisom

TidyDinosaur

I only see these aliexpress.com/item/32825340170.html at 530€ shipped without chainrings, I can get rotor crankset for cheaper. That's pretty bad when 105 with 4iiii is 300€ and not much heavier around 730g
Magene P505 and Zrace RX are also both more expensive and i've heard bad things about both (cranksets, not PM itself)
Such a shame how uncompetitive the chinese are for midrange cranksets imo. It should be right up their alley with casting and milling but nobody is doing affordable, modular and not ridiculously expensive sets.

Riro carbon cranks and a P505 powermeter?

SirBikealot

The standard 505 base from the magene store incl 50/34  comes in at 778 gramms.

kbernstein

Riro carbon cranks and a P505 powermeter?
didn't think gxp cranks were compatible with any spider PM but looks like i'd be looking at 530€ minimum even with current sales, and just under 700g. of course i'd like to upgrade to spider from left crank but i'm not willing to pay double the price just for that. 105 with 4iiii is 720g and 330€ right now without any special sales,