Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 146986 times)

ChrisB

Anyone try these chainrings out?
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804073106677.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

They look nice. Wondering if/how well they actually work with 12 speed drivetrains.

I already use some Stone chainrings on my 1x Gravel bike.
Material and machining seem excellent and the lifetime of the rings seems much better than cheap chainrings from Zrace and others.
The weight is also lighter than the Zrace chainrings that came with the RX crankset.

The image below is for my new road project (Shimano 105/Di2 12 Speed) using a Sigeyi PM and at the moment combined RX DUB Crankset... Crankset may change if I find some nice and light carbon cranks.
Currently using the original 105 crankset until I find lighter carbon cranks, so can not tell you how well these chainrings work with 12 speed but expect no problems.

BR Chris
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 07:40:23 AM by ChrisB »

s3si1u

Thanks for your reply!
Currently working on a 12 speed setup myself, but I just came up on some lightly used 52/36 Praxis rings for cheap. Going to use them on my old Red 22 crankset for now. I'm also thinking of a similar power meter setup to yours but with the Ingrid crank copy from AliExpress. I'll likely pick up some Stone rings for this purpose,  let us know how they work out!

Instagram: @aerosloth

jonathanf2

Happy New Year's everyone!

I'm looking at AliEx cranksets and stumbled on these carbon cranks:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804855321533.html

I want to free up some weight on my road bike. I'm noticing quite a few of these cranksets on AliEx are using 7075 T6 alloy for the axle. I currently have a 105 R7000 crankset and all the other AliEx cranks I've seen weigh near or more, so this carbon crank is the only one I see that would cut significant weight. Also I currently use an Ultegra threaded BB, I'm guessing since this crank uses a 24mm spindle, there's no need to switch it out? Thanks for any input!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 11:49:05 AM by jonathanf2 »

coffeebreak

24mm spindle, these should fit on your Ultegra BB no issues. Let us know how are they with regards to stiffness, I have been looking at cranksets for my next build and these seemed good.

jonathanf2

24mm spindle, these should fit on your Ultegra BB no issues. Let us know how are they with regards to stiffness, I have been looking at cranksets for my next build and these seemed good.

I have to give Shimano credit, it's really hard to beat their cranksets when it comes to weight and performance. None of the alloy/steel AliEx cranksets can barely match 105 when it comes to weight, let alone Ultegra and Dura Ace. I'll give it some thought if I do plan to purchase this crankset. Nothing wrong with my 105 setup and I'm debating if the cost-to-weight reduction would be worth it.

Another thing I was looking at were pairing these carbon crank arms with 2x 46-30t gravel chainrings for my gravel bike:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804443192765.html

Though I'm not sure how the chain line would work with my GRX FD or if I'd have to switch back to a road FD?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 01:15:22 PM by jonathanf2 »

ChrisB

Happy New Year's everyone!

I'm looking at AliEx cranksets and stumbled on these carbon cranks:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804855321533.html

I want to free up some weight on my road bike. I'm noticing quite a few of these cranksets on AliEx are using 7075 T6 alloy for the axle. I currently have a 105 R7000 crankset and all the other AliEx cranks I've seen weigh near or more, so this carbon crank is the only one I see that would cut significant weight. Also I currently use an Ultegra threaded BB, I'm guessing since this crank uses a 24mm spindle, there's no need to switch it out? Thanks for any input!

I also just ordered a pair of these to try them out... will update in this thread once they arrived and are installed. :-)

BR Chris

coffeebreak

I have to give Shimano credit, it's really hard to beat their cranksets when it comes to weight and performance. None of the alloy/steel AliEx cranksets can barely match 105 when it comes to weight, let alone Ultegra and Dura Ace. I'll give it some thought if I do plan to purchase this crankset. Nothing wrong with my 105 setup and I'm debating if the cost-to-weight reduction would be worth it.

Another thing I was looking at were pairing these carbon crank arms with 2x 46-30t gravel chainrings for my gravel bike:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804443192765.html

Though I'm not sure how the chain line would work with my GRX FD or if I'd have to switch back to a road FD?

True that. 105 is my favorite too - utterly reliable groupset that can be had for really good prices, so much so that that is the only thing stopping me from pulling trigger on Chinese groupsets. Are the GRX FDs different from road FDs? I have a used GRX 810 set sitting in the box may be I can put that FD on to replace Ultegra FD that I have and see if it works.

raisinberry777

True that. 105 is my favorite too - utterly reliable groupset that can be had for really good prices, so much so that that is the only thing stopping me from pulling trigger on Chinese groupsets. Are the GRX FDs different from road FDs? I have a used GRX 810 set sitting in the box may be I can put that FD on to replace Ultegra FD that I have and see if it works.

Yes, GRX FD is for wider spaced chainline and needs to be paired with GRX cranks.

TidyDinosaur

Is it just me or is most of the stuff on Ali getting even more expensive the last few weeks/days? I have things in my basket thet have gone up 5-10% in just a short while...

if it keeps going up like this, most of the stuff will just get too pricy to buy on Ali and we will be back to buying locally...

jonathanf2

I also just ordered a pair of these to try them out... will update in this thread once they arrived and are installed. :-)

BR Chris

Apparently the price dropped last night and there were a few discount codes that I was able to stack, so I ordered the crankset from the Racework seller I posted. From the looks of it, I think this crankset is fairly new. Most the AliEx sellers who have it in stock, list it as a new arrival. I'll keep my 105 crankset as a backup, since I'm not sure about the durability of these alloy spindle cranksets, but so far most my AliEx purchases have been solid. I think with this crankset, my disc road bike should come in at 7.2kg or under the 16 lbs. range. If this carbon crankset proves to be good, I might also get it for my 2x gravel bike as well. They have GXP 2x chainring sets for 48/32t and 46/30t.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804834469573.html
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 11:53:26 AM by jonathanf2 »

jonathanf2

Is it just me or is most of the stuff on Ali getting even more expensive the last few weeks/days? I have things in my basket thet have gone up 5-10% in just a short while...

if it keeps going up like this, most of the stuff will just get too pricy to buy on Ali and we will be back to buying locally...

They had pretty deep discounts during the Chinese holiday week and Black Friday. I think prices just tend to fluctuate, so if something seems to high, I'd just wait and see if the price drops or if any discount codes pop up.

Tijoe

Simply amazing.  My $15.49 USD all carbon, padded, 132 gram saddle arrived today.   Appears to be of good quality.   (I can't believe that for years, I purchased Sella Italia Flight series saddles for over $100 each.)    Can't wait to put it on one of my rides and test how it feels on the sit spots.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804373322850.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.1eb11802FW3R9T&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

jonathanf2

Simply amazing.  My $15.49 USD all carbon, padded, 132 gram saddle arrived today.   Appears to be of good quality.   (I can't believe that for years, I purchased Sella Italia Flight series saddles for over $100 each.)    Can't wait to put it on one of my rides and test how it feels on the sit spots.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804373322850.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.1eb11802FW3R9T&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

I have this padded saddle on all my bikes. For the price and weight it's an excellent value. So far they've all been holding up with no issue.

Tijoe

After receiving my saddle, its is the first time in 2 months that I don't have any items on order with Aliexpress waiting for delivery.   You guys need to post some more interesting items that I need and can't wait to order!

coffeebreak

After receiving my saddle, its is the first time in 2 months that I don't have any items on order with Aliexpress waiting for delivery.   You guys need to post some more interesting items that I need and can't wait to order!

Lol. I know the feeling. Incidentally I have the same saddle that you got, on delivery - glad to know those are great. In the meanwhile if you don't have these tiny things already, may be give them a try? I find them immensely helpful.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 09:36:03 PM by coffeebreak »