Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 143523 times)

kbernstein

Now that I'm done fidgeting with my road bikes, it's time I show some love to my neglected MTB. It has some cheap suntour air fork that has never worked for some reason, not even with my shock pump. Seems like it would cost a lot in tools to service it, and my LBS quoted me more than I'm willing to spend for a rebuild.
Does anyone have any experience with the ali forks? Seems like there are some great looking air forks on there(to my oblivious roadie eye)
Not looking to exceed 150€. Installation seems to be a very easy job.
Maybe I would have more fun breaking bones again with a proper fork :)

BalticSea

Any info regarding alloy gravel frames on Ali? Not sure if it deserves a dedicated topic, but I'm mostly done with my carbon road bike and now I want a gravel bike. I'm planning a 4 day trip  on August and with shipping times from China to Europe, that's not so much time to get the parts, build the bike and test it. Thus instead of experimenting myself, I am turning to the crowd

TidyDinosaur

Any info regarding alloy gravel frames on Ali? Not sure if it deserves a dedicated topic, but I'm mostly done with my carbon road bike and now I want a gravel bike. I'm planning a 4 day trip  on August and with shipping times from China to Europe, that's not so much time to get the parts, build the bike and test it. Thus instead of experimenting myself, I am turning to the crowd

SEABOARD Gr02?

BalticSea

SEABOARD Gr02?

Yeah, pretty much what I've been looking for. Just not sure how good they are, I did see them on Ali, but probably mistook them for Tsunami fixed gear frames I guess

TidyDinosaur

Yeah, pretty much what I've been looking for. Just not sure how good they are, I did see them on Ali, but probably mistook them for Tsunami fixed gear frames I guess
You should be able to find some reviews. They seems nice frames. Although not that much cheaper than carbon...

hsaus

I have a Seaboard GR02. Been meaning to write up a longer review, but haven't got around to it yet.

In short, I'm happy with it. The main problem I had when building it was the non-standard front brake caliper mounting position. It's offset by 20mm, so set your flat mount adapter to 140mm for a 160mm disc. And if you have a 160mm-only caliper (Juin Tech), you'll need a 180mm disc - which the fork is rated for. Internal cable routing is only in the downtube and in the left fork 'leg', which makes it easy to cable - a feature in my book.

Got a size 50cm frame, which fits me well with a 110mm stem and short 70mm reach handlebars, I'm 174cm. Most bike brand size guides place me on a size M, but I'm more comfortable on smaller frames (S or S/M). I'm not all that flexible though, and I prefer a somewhat upright position.

Paintwork looks good to my untrained eyes, I have the Pearl White one. The only paint overspray was on the rear rack mounting points.

carbonazza

...I also got these Stone chainrings for AXS. The 48/33 tooth count is a bit strange as stock AXS rings come in 46/33 or 48/35...

Does the front derailleur plays nice with the bigger gap?

wwnero

Very sorry this happened and I'm glad the only damage was to the post and not you.
I have three Elita seatposts and love them. I've definitely used, abused and even overtorqued some of my Elitas without issue. I've actually cut mine as well, and I'm a couple kgs heavier than you. I want to say you may have gotten a dud and I hope they take care of you after this.

Thanks, I’ve decided to get a refund and they told me itll take a few days through Ali. I’m a bit shook right now with the snapping and how the entire situation could have been a lot worse if I was in a group ride. Very likely could be that I got a dud but just not going to risk it. I’m thinking to either save up to buy the canyon seatpost or just stick with alloy.

s3si1u

Does the front derailleur plays nice with the bigger gap?

No real shifting issues in the couple rides I've done. Tbh I didn't even adjust the FD after installing the Stone rings, I just kinda eyeballed a 2mm gap and told myself I'd adjust it later, I just wanted to try them out. I haven't actually adjusted it since and I wouldn't be surprised if shifting becomes even a little smoother/faster once I do so.

FWIW I haven't had noticeable front shifting issues on any chainrings since I started using AXS, here's what I've tried:
Force AXS 46/33
Praxis 12 speed Buzz 52/36
Stone AXS 48/33
All shifted just fine, I find the plastic AXS derailleur setup tools do what they say and really help you get those derailleurs dialed in (especially the front).
Instagram: @aerosloth

jonathanf2

4 TPU tubes + patch kit for less than $13 USD:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805240823049.html

I haven't tried this brand yet, though I feel RideNow TPU tubes are fairly mature now with most of the kinks ironed out. With the price of TPU tubes dropping, I really have no desire to go tubeless on my road bike (though I run tubeless on my gravel bike).

I received my 4 TPU tubes. Build wise they seem closer to the RideNow TPU tubes. I installed one TPU tube on a wheel I originally setup as tubeless, but I noticed a tubeless bump on my tire and decided to install a clincher tire I had laying around. The TPU tube installed with no issues.

For these plastic valve stem TPU tubes, I use a schrader valve adapter to keep from damaging the delicate threads on the plastic stem. Also I air the tube, deflate it, massage the tire and then air it up to the desired pressure.

jcr

Looks like they don't sell the Newboler tubes anymore. Found these RideNow for similar prices https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005120740960.html

Did anyone install their TPU tubes like this? Tube before the tire?

ChrisB

Looks like they don't sell the Newboler tubes anymore. Found these RideNow for similar prices https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005120740960.html

Did anyone install their TPU tubes like this? Tube before the tire?

Using the RideNow tubes on my race bike for over 1000km now combined with Conti GP5000. I installed them as I do with butyl tubes...
Rolling great no problems, rolling well. However you need to check the air pressure more frequently.
They seem to loose more air than butyl but still way less than Latex.

I also have them as reserve tubes on all my bikes including the gravel due to space and weight savings.

BR Chris

kbernstein

Using the RideNow tubes on my race bike for over 1000km now combined with Conti GP5000. I installed them as I do with butyl tubes...
Rolling great no problems, rolling well. However you need to check the air pressure more frequently.
They seem to loose more air than butyl but still way less than Latex.

I also have them as reserve tubes on all my bikes including the gravel due to space and weight savings.

BR Chris

I find that they vary a lot. Have 3 installed currently, one literally doesn't leak, still hard after 4 months. One deflates after about 2 months, other flat after 3 weeks

wwnero

I’ve been using ride now for the past couple of months. Overall happy but have already gotten 3 flats. 1st time was a tiny one. Second time was immediately after which I later found out was my fault because a tiny metal wire pierced the tire for the 1 flat and stayed logged in the tire causing it to pierce the new tube. I should have checked the tire first before replacing the tube. 3rd time was I hit a pothole too hard with an under inflated tire. I think having the gp5000 also have caused part of the issues but for me tpu is not as puncture proof as butyl even though I thought I read that somewhere.

jonathanf2

At this point I much prefer TPU tubes for road bikes. I've had road tubeless punctures that wouldn't seal (side wall cut) and road tubeless tires are a real pain to fix in the field. I can stuff multiple TPU tubes in my saddle bag without much weight penalty. Plus I don't see the point running lower pressures on a road bike. My local roads are so bad if I hit one bad pothole, my rim will be toast.

For my gravel bike, I'm tubeless all the way, but it's mainly because wider profile tires are easier to mount and I'm not airing up my tires at high PSI.