Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 146307 times)

jonathanf2

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832831570779.html

Has anyone ordered this? Seems like a good price for an integrated stem/handlebar.

dsveddy

I recently ordered 6 of the new 18gram Ridenow tubes. I weighed one and it was...19 grams ??? Nothing special to report besides that the first one I've swapped in holds air, and they do indeed feel very light. Packaging feels nice and premium, but the tube itself is wrapped with a paper manual, which adds bulk. In order to store one in my saddle bag, I have had to "repackage" it using some teflon tape to recreate the binding sleeve, and then storing it in a ziplock baggie with the extra patches.

jonathanf2

I'm beginning to think USPS is purposely losing packages in the US right now. I have 3 packages sent to the wrong PO and now seem to be in limbo. With one package, I know the issue isn't on the seller end, because they sent me a picture of the item and correct shipping label beforehand. Really frustrating!

I looked more into it and it seems AliExpress combined shipping "upgrade" isn't an upgrade at all. This seems to be causing problems mainly with buyers in the US.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 11:27:04 AM by jonathanf2 »

jonathanf2

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805023659024.html

Lexon has a carbon 3D printed saddle on sale. This is the cheapest carbon version I've seen. Most AliEx searches deceptively shows the non-carbon saddle price while the carbon version is priced much higher.

I received my Lexon 3D printed carbon saddle this week. To my eye this Lexon saddle seems to be of higher quality than the run-of-the-mill cheap carbon saddles on AliEx. It's a bit on the shorter side when it comes to saddles, but it's also wider with a stubbier nose. Visually it looks cool and a conversation starter at the coffee shop! The oval carbon rails are very thick and the carbon shell is solid/stiff. I've never owned a 3D printed saddle before, so I can't compare the comfort to other name brands. I've yet to put a proper ride in with it though due to wet weather, so I'll have to wait to try it this weekend. Initial impressions are positive though and it does seem like a quality product.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 01:40:28 PM by jonathanf2 »

Wet Noodle

I've never owned a 3D printed saddle before, so I can't compare the comfort to other name brands. I've yet to put a proper ride in with it

I have yet to find a problem for this solution. Did you buy it for the looks? Serious question (because that, I would totally get).

Going off on a tangent, I feel like "3D printing" is used way too much for marketing buzz these days, as if it was some super awesome bordering-on-magic rocket technology stuff and better at everything, just by default.

jonathanf2

I have yet to find a problem for this solution. Did you buy it for the looks? Serious question (because that, I would totally get).

Going off on a tangent, I feel like "3D printing" is used way too much for marketing buzz these days, as if it was some super awesome bordering-on-magic rocket technology stuff and better at everything, just by default.

I talked to another cyclist who had one and he said it was really comfortable. I picked up my Lexon saddle during the Discovery sale and the reviews seem quite positive. For the price I figure it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

ricedaddy

I think the advantage is to achieve similar level of comfort, a foam saddle would be heavier. Pliable honey comb like structures are not new. It's the main selling point of ON running shoes. 3D printing is what makes it possible to even produce such a saddle.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 07:15:11 PM by ricedaddy »

hazzer19

Initial review of a carbon padded saddle I switched to posted here http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,776.msg46307.html#msg46307

Wet Noodle

I think the advantage is to achieve similar level of comfort, a foam saddle would be heavier. Pliable honey comb like structures are not new.

You might be right; we would need to weigh the padding vs a conventional foam one.
But that saddle is not super light for a "half-size". Also, comfort kind of had been solved even before the advent of flexy plastic shells. And plastic shells can be done lightweight, too, not sure how light we could go, though. And cf shells can be done with some actual flex (but it requires some engineering, I've been told). Fizik does shells with flexing glass fibre parts (or I think it's gf, don't quote me on that). Maybe I'm just being a stubborn old dude.

jonathanf2

Today I did 18 miles on the Lexon 3D printed saddle. It's not as light as some of my other saddles, but as I mentioned this saddle feels very sturdy. The carbon rails held up quite well. My other carbon saddles need to be wrapped in gaffer tape to keep them from slipping on two of my frames. Comfort is decent, the cushion isn't what's most obvious, but the mesh consistency when sitting on it. When shifting positioning on the saddle, you don't feel much friction when moving. I can see myself having no issues with this saddle on even longer rides. I definitely would recommend it!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 08:38:10 PM by jonathanf2 »

frnchy

I tried the Lexon saddle on my road bike and liked it enough that I got another one for my gravel bike. The wider nose is, to me, more comfortable than the Power Mirror saddle I was using, and it's about 100 grams lighter too. As pointed out in previous posts, the rear of the rails flow directly into the shell rather than having a noticeable step where the rails have been slotted into a hole and then bonded, which is where I've had previous cheap carbon saddles fail before. The 3D printed top isn't nearly as advanced as the Power Mirror in terms of the use of 3D printing for variable density - the Lexon saddle is the same density all over whilst the Power Mirror had quite distinct density differences front/rear within a span of ~6 inches. It hasn't negatively impacted the comfort of the Lexon saddle though.

TidyDinosaur

This is my favourite saddle:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005286260332.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.4.59011802cd0lPH

If you check the sales you can get it for about 10€. 190gr.

kbernstein

I think I used to have the same one but with a painted design from enlee. Looks the same in shape and it was absolutely horrible. Flexy in an untrustworthy way and the plastic was sticking out of the side against my thighs instead of the padding

sbellote

just a +1 on the Lexon saddle (Ryet Aircode is the model, if I'm not wrong), I've commented some pages ago but I think it's worth mentioning

the construction is really well done, the rail bond as mentioned is much better than most chinese carbon saddles, the 3D is 'simple' but seems good, been 3 months and it's holding well I believe (and hope) it'll last long.. Shape is a complex subject, it's too personal, but I've adapted well to the 'pro stealth' shape it has, the wider nose and the relief channel I like a lot, no discomfort in long rides

as far as the advantages of the 3D print surface, I honestly think it's still mostly marketing at this time - even if you go to the top of the range ones, from Specialized, Fizik, SelleItalia...
it really doesn't seem to do anything much different then a good advanced foam padding does. Dif density is something doable with padding, the weight is not so different as far as I know. Maybe one benefit is that the 3D structure keeps it's shape even after long hours of use (at least theoretically), while foam is bound to compress and require some time to go back to the original shape - this could impact comfort in really long rides.

jonathanf2

I tried the Lexon saddle on my road bike and liked it enough that I got another one for my gravel bike.

Same here, after trying it on my road bike I put in another order for my gravel bike as well!

just a +1 on the Lexon saddle (Ryet Aircode is the model, if I'm not wrong), I've commented some pages ago but I think it's worth mentioning

Maybe one benefit is that the 3D structure keeps it's shape even after long hours of use (at least theoretically), while foam is bound to compress and require some time to go back to the original shape - this could impact comfort in really long rides.

That's the one thing I noticed. the 3D mesh felt like it kept it's shape despite my constant position shifting which I tend to do if I'm climbing or sprinting. Foam padded saddles will eventually compress and create more friction with movement.