Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 147213 times)

toxin

I spend more time in my lowest gears than my high gears. I find the bigger jockey wheels much more beneficial for spinning and slow grinding up 15-30% plus road and dirt climbs. A lot of the local MTB/gravel dirt climbers do the same here in SoCal. I don't even care if I'm using ceramic or steel bearings, it's more about getting that smoother chain line for me.
Lots of fantasy physics but hey, it's your money

hsaus

lol i'll make sure to put them on the bars first before doing any work. do you think they stretch enough for integrated aero bars?

I managed to remember putting them on for my second bike build. They're a tight fit on a round bar, you may get them to stretch enough for wide flat tops, but it'll be a bit of a struggle I expect.

jonathanf2

Lots of fantasy physics but hey, it's your money

Narrow bars, full integrated frames and electronic shifting are fantasy, but hey your money!

TidyDinosaur

Whoa, I just looked it up. The max elevation for Belgium is 697m or 2287 feet. That's like doing a local climb in my neighborhood! ;D

Yeah, and that 697m is far from where I live :)
When we have 500m of height difference in a ride it has been fairly hilly for us. Anything above 1000m on one ride is quite a lot and comes with 100km+ of riding :)

But the ride I did Saturday was a gravel ride. And since we don't have a lot of gravel here, it is a lot of twisting and turning in the (small patches of) forests and singletracks, so I did use my brakes sometimes. But never more that a couple of seconds at a time, so I have no idea how they perform on longer descends.
But on the whole ride I did not once think about the new discs (good or bad), so I guess they were OK.

chineesje

Narrow bars, full integrated frames and electronic shifting are fantasy, but hey your money!

Narrow bars fantasy? I think it's fairly easy to understand that (when you are not a really big rider) a 38cm handlebar is gonna lower your surface area quite a bit comparing with a 44cm handlebar, and thus saving you some watts (and you might actually be able to feel the difference ;)). Next to these savings, for the majority of people, a 38-42cm handlebar will feel way more comfortable than a 44-46cm one, especially when just riding on asphalt.

toxin

35 cm is just natural for my shoulder width

Greenred

I have not used Uno stem on internal routing frame (GF002) but I can imagine its going to be a pretty ill fit. For one, the spacers are kinda rectangular shaped to accommodate for the cables to go thru them. Are you trying to not route cables through the stem but still hide them somehow? Look at FSA SMR ACR stem and Kocevlo spacers underneath to almost fully conceal the cables.

Yes that's what I was aiming for. And there's one more complication: I want to keep the flexibility of adding stem-mounted aerobars (FALCON MINI CLIP-ON (Stem Mounted)) for ultra distances.

Your proposed FSA SMR sounds great indeed!
Do you have experience with it? Would you expect that the FSA SMR stem+cable channel could be clamped with the aerobars (max 5nm)?
Looks like the cable channel is also made from alloy and is screwed into the stem, so it looks stable at least...EDIT: just called FSA and they confirmed that the cable channel's made from plastic.. so not really an option for clamping an aero bar on it unfortunately.

The visually sub-par Uno stem combo would work for sure with the stem-mounted aerobars, routing the cables below/around the aerobar clamps.
But yes I guess it will look a bit ugly, the Kocevelo spacers would be at least 6mm wider than the Uno stem... and I'd need to drill 2 holes into the top spacer to let the cables in.
I found some ppl at WW who run a "normal stem" like the Uno and route the cables internally into the frame afterwards. Looks surpisingly ok I think: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=170873&sid=56ca16bdbbd72e2dc28b62bdfa46eb98&start=15

I'm a bit torn between the options now.
Considering the low price point of the Uno stem, I might also just give it a try. Curious to hear what you think  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 01:14:56 PM by Greenred »

coffeebreak

Yes that's what I was aiming for. And there's one more complication: I want to keep the flexibility of adding stem-mounted aerobars (FALCON MINI CLIP-ON (Stem Mounted)) for ultra distances.

Your proposed FSA SMR sounds great indeed!
Do you have experience with it? Would you expect that the FSA SMR stem+cable channel could be clamped with the aerobars (max 5nm)?
Looks like the cable channel is also made from alloy and is screwed into the stem, so it looks stable at least...EDIT: just called FSA and they confirmed that the cable channel's made from plastic.. so not really an option for clamping an aero bar on it unfortunately.

I have FSA SMR + Kocevlo  spacers pack + FSA SMR compact handle bar on Yoeleo R12. I skimped on the bar end junction for Di2 and hung the junction box below the plastic cable channel on the stem as in the attachment. The spacers are super cheap but fit the FSA stem perfectly and came with 3 different base caps.

There are are some headset spacers with base that have holes for cables that you can use rather than drilling holes yourself. Personally I would leave the Uno stem alone as far as ICR is concerned even though the pictures on WW thread don't look half bad. The GF-002 with Velobuild's bar, stem, spacer combo looks extremely clean and I am pretty happy with that combination minus the headache during cable routing.

Regarding the aerobars, yes, the FSA has plastic cable channel held in place by tiny m3 screws so those bars won't work. I have no experience with such bars but if they clamp to stem I guess you will need something without cable channel - so Deda SuperBox is out of question too.

coffeebreak

Those Tripeak offset OSPW are $180 a pop according to bike rumors.

https://bikerumor.com/tripeak-jetstream-offset-oversize-pulley-kit/

That's a crazy money for a pulley wheel I feel but then people but $700 ospw so may be it's a good price I don't know.

Sakizashi

Those Tripeak offset OSPW are $180 a pop according to bike rumors.

https://bikerumor.com/tripeak-jetstream-offset-oversize-pulley-kit/

That's a crazy money for a pulley wheel I feel but then people but $700 ospw so may be it's a good price I don't know.

For some reason i thought these were at least a year old, but yeah they are listed $175 in shops like BikeInn. However you can usually see them for $130-$150 on ebay or Ali. OPSW are already questionable in terms of performance since any gains they have are minimized by all of the other things you might do for drivetrain effeiciency like waxed chains, but these are a pretty cheap way to increase derailluer cage capacity if you need it for larger cassettes on GRX or AXS, or using 16t gap front rings on AXS.

BalticSea

I'm using ultegra 11s shifters with GRX 400 RD too. So by that logic Shimano would work with SRAM RDs? I'm not entirely clear where the indexing part is set.

I believe the answer is no, at least on the road groupsets. Cable pull ratios are different between two brands. Hell, you can't even mix 11 speed and 10 speed Shimano road parts because ratios are different, on Sram you can.

coffeebreak

For some reason i thought these were at least a year old, but yeah they are listed $175 in shops like BikeInn. However you can usually see them for $130-$150 on ebay or Ali. OPSW are already questionable in terms of performance since any gains they have are minimized by all of the other things you might do for drivetrain effeiciency like waxed chains, but these are a pretty cheap way to increase derailluer cage capacity if you need it for larger cassettes on GRX or AXS, or using 16t gap front rings on AXS.
Are these specific ones available? I know there are knock off OSPWs on Aliex and eBay but I haven't seen these offset wheels that don't require you to change the cage unlike other OSPW systems.

I believe the answer is no, at least on the road groupsets. Cable pull ratios are different between two brands. Hell, you can't even mix 11 speed and 10 speed Shimano road parts because ratios are different, on Sram you can.
Shimano 10 speed Tiagra 4700 and GRX 400 use same ratio as 11s so those components you can mix and match e.g. using GRX 400 RD with 105 R7000 shifters. Clearly the rear derailleur plays a part in cable pull ratio. I am pretty sure cable pull ratio between 11 speed and 12 speed road groupsets is different so how is Sensah able to make 12 speed shifters compatible with 11 speed rear derailleur was the original question and I am still not sure how.

BalticSea

You're right about Tiagra compatibility with 11 speed, forgot that groupset.

It seems like Shimano kept the same pull ratio for 12 speed mechanical 105 shifters, so it's compatible with 11 speed stuff too, which explains why Sensah was able to do that

chineesje

Has anyone been able to use the $80 off coupon yet (anniversary sale)?

BalticSea

Has anyone seen a full carbon fork, 380mm axle to crown for rim brakes and fender mounts on Ali? I may or may not have a project bike that needs a new fork