Author Topic: Advice on where to buy a frame - dengfu/ican/velobuild ?  (Read 3840 times)

eucalyptus

Re: Advice on where to buy a frame - dengfu/ican/velobuild ?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2022, 05:08:59 AM »
Haha wow! I mean sure, it can easily be repaired by a CARBON WORKSHOP not a bikeshop they will tell you to scrap the frame.

But that is a horrible solution from ICAN and also horrible construction. Should be solid carbon or an alloy insert bonded in carbon, not constructed with glue... You simply dont construct critical parts with glue.

Sorry you have to go through this! Also kinda sad the frame is black, would be interesting what else is hiding behind the paint.

hmarin

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2022, 10:43:58 AM »
 not completely true, in a sense of form.

there in the middle is a alu or steel insert to which you attach caliper.

on my Izalco Max that part does not protrude that much at all, it is flat 3-4mm from the insert.

This is more of an aero gimmick, but how can I be sure that I am right.

I did carbon repair btw, seat stay on my Izalco started to split, and 2 y later all is good.

Anyone knows where else can I get, a rim frame with 60ish top tube and 42ish cm reach

and behind the paint.

execution is a dream, made to be light so very very thin finish and somewhere also you see strings

KSC obviously is excellent company.

take a look at headtube

Cheers,
 Marin
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 01:08:17 PM by hmarin »

slow_poke11

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2022, 03:50:30 PM »
So, what happend later.

amount of lies from ICAN is just terrible.

it is the inside of the brake bridge, glue traces and still they ask me to send photos of the box, thats like new.

Then they conclude that damage is transport damage.

170$ is what they offer for refund because,

"This is caused by the collision during the transportation of the shipping company.
Before we ship the frame, we will carefully check the frame is intact before sending the package.
Could you please take the detached part and frame to a bike shop to fix (glue it up)? This part can be used normally with glue, how much is the repair cost? We will pay for the repair, can you accept?"

It was all prepared, photos I got before send are so low resolution.

So all in all, a terrible experience with ICAN.

Sorry to hear that.  Yes, I was considering an ICAN A9 as it appeared to be UCI approved and was more expensive than some other brands which I thought might translate into better quality: https://icancycling.com/collections/road-bike-frame/products/disc-road-bike-frame-a9

They might still be very good frames, but obviously this is a bad experience.  If you could see evidence of gluing and zero sign on the box that this happened during transport, then their response is very disappointing on a number of levels.

One thing that made me hesitate with ICAN was that when I checked the latest UCI list of approved framesets I couldn't find it at all when searching for "ICAN", "Triaero", "TRIA" or "A9": https://assets.ctfassets.net/761l7gh5x5an/7jA9krKzzy3lRXPzlm4uyn/b45f45a06a948c164ab6820f3798a524/Liste_des_Mod__les_homologu__s_de_kits_cadre__-_List_of_Approved_Models_of_framesets.pdf

I'm going to interpret this favourably and say it might still be possible that it's just been approved and will be in the next list or it's somehow registered as something else, or I should be looking somewhere else. If so, I sincerely apologise for my misunderstanding. However, if that's not the case, then there's a much less favourable interpretations to this claim.

coffeebreak

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2022, 04:03:20 PM »

"This is caused by the collision during the transportation of the shipping company.
Before we ship the frame, we will carefully check the frame is intact before sending the package."

I am surprised by this because I can't imagine that particular part of the frame being exposed/damaged during the transport even if it is across continents - unless the frame did NOT come wrapped inside a big box and was just sent with cushion wrapped around it ...without the box.
What I am saying is I could understand if some extreme corner of the frame was damaged like RD dropout or top of the headtube but brake bridge? I call BS. To me it was done 100% on their end before the thing even got wrapped.

hmarin

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2022, 05:06:28 PM »

Ofcourse, you can imagine trying to fit brake nut there and it is short, take the frame btw 800gr by the seat tube and carry in the room, my hand over that bridge and 2 small pieces in my hand.

now, what I did wrong and how, then I look, and I have a desk loupe large one, i see gluing and so on. That feeling.

Equalizer

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2022, 11:48:46 AM »
Velobuild have 50$ discount VBBF2022 is code.

carbonazza

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2022, 12:18:05 AM »
Velobuild have 50$ discount VBBF2022 is code.
Is this an ad ?  ;D

Equalizer

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2022, 01:56:03 AM »
Hehe...no...just say'in.  :D ;)

hmarin

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2024, 03:22:14 PM »
Ofcourse, you can imagine trying to fit brake nut there and it is short, take the frame btw 800gr by the seat tube and carry in the room, my hand over that bridge and 2 small pieces in my hand.

now, what I did wrong and how, then I look, and I have a desk loupe large one, i see gluing and so on. That feeling.

Long time, i guess due to the circumstances but

I would buy one more if possible, drives like a charm, 950m climb and then 70.4km/h down like on rails.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 03:26:32 PM by hmarin »