Author Topic: Cyclami TPU tubes - more TPU tube options!  (Read 5744 times)

1Sigma

Re: Cyclami TPU tubes - more TPU tube options!
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2022, 11:46:51 AM »
BTW - It's still recommended that you setup your wheels with tubeless tape with these TPU tubes. Which I don't mind, because the wheels will be ready if I do swap to tubeless tires.

It's actually quite astonishing how many folks do not know that you need to tape your rims even if you are running tubes. 

I sell the RideNow tubes, and they are OK.  They are fine, but not blown away.  You really have to be careful setting them up, or you risk a slow leak puncture before you get out the door (I've screwed this up twice on a 19mm internal width wheels).

As far as I can tell (and I could be wrong), the patch kit is basically the typical rubber cement with TPU patches.   The patch material being the big difference.   Some people have claimed success with the Park Tool Super Patch - I have found they don't stick well enough.  Good enough to get you home though...

They are super light, and great to have in roadside kits whether you run tubes or run tubeless.   
My personal preference is now tubeless, as I see no real advantage to tubes anymore other initial set-up and as a roadside repair option.

Better than average - Extra Average

Sebastian

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2023, 09:21:21 AM »
I have bought a set of the Cyclami TPU tubes and both seem to leak slowly. I'll investigate further to see if there's a puncture somewhere or if it's a manufacturing issue - at the valves for instance.

Anyway, I've also ordered a set of Ridenow inner tubes for my other bike and had no such issues. I set up the wheels and they hold air seemingly forever.

I dunno if it's a matter of luck with these cheap TPU tubes from China. But so far, I can't say I'm impressed with the Cyclami ones.

bichler.bua

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2023, 09:33:48 AM »
I have bought a set of the Cyclami TPU tubes and both seem to leak slowly. I'll investigate further to see if there's a puncture somewhere or if it's a manufacturing issue - at the valves for instance.

Anyway, I've also ordered a set of Ridenow inner tubes for my other bike and had no such issues. I set up the wheels and they hold air seemingly forever.

I dunno if it's a matter of luck with these cheap TPU tubes from China. But so far, I can't say I'm impressed with the Cyclami ones.
Interesting, I am having the same with RideNow tubes: slowly leaking. Did not investigate, yet. Also have a pair of Cyclami but no chance to test, winter season here in Central Europe...
Should we consider a poll how many users experience slow leakage on TPU types (and manufacturer)?

coffeebreak

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2023, 11:18:04 AM »
I have a pair of Cyclami tubes. The one on the front I screwed up while installing but using the patch I was able to fix the puncture. Now it leaks. My first thought was faulty repair but it does not seem to be leaking, nor do any bubbles form up at the valve. In approximately 2 days the tire goes flat without riding. I rode it like that for about 100 miles but have replaced that tube with Conti. I still can't figure out from where it is leaking. The other one is okay - holds the air for 1 week.

I am not a weight weeny as such so I am mostly going to keep away from these and just stick to good ol' rubber tubes. These feel really delicate and if you have hard to put on tires like I have, high chances the tube will be damaged in the process.

Sebastian

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2023, 11:44:24 AM »
Same here. The rear one goes flat after about two days or so. I pulled it out and tried to find any leakage under water but I was unable to. No idea where the air is coming out. So that’s frustrating. I think I’ll just put my latex tubes back in.

jonathanf2

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2023, 12:19:42 PM »
The Cyclami TPU tubes are crap in my opinion. They are currently running some sales on RideNow TPU tubes and I can confirm they've done some silent upgrades, enough so that I now recommend them as being the better option. It appears the screw-in presta valve appears more secure and the plastic valve tube also seems to be a firmer plastic. They've switched to plastic valve caps (originally were alloy) and also come with a decal sticker that goes over the valve.

On a side note, I recommend using a schrader to presta valve adapter when pumping the tubes. The plastic valve core while sturdy, can be prone to breakage if not careful. I do this now when pumping. The one perk over latex is that they don't lose air overnight. Latex tubes have to be constantly pumped before every ride.

This seller sent my RideNow tubes in about a week to the US:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804954468515.html

coffeebreak

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2023, 09:01:26 PM »
This seller sent my RideNow tubes in about a week to the US:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804954468515.html

I think California has the advantage because all my packages reach CA in about a week anyway but then vanish for a week before appearing in WA. From then it takes 2 more days to my doorstep.

Sebastian

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2023, 03:34:21 PM »
Having ridden Chinese TPU tubes now for a bit: Is it just me or do they feel harsher? I’m running the same wheels and the same Vittoria Corsa cotton clinchers. Previously I’ve had Vittoria latex inner tubes. But I can’t help but feel that at the same pressure these just feel harsher. I found myself lowering pressure to I increase comfort. I didn’t really have to do that before.
I might just go back and forth between these. Because any weight saving to me is negligible of I don’t like the ride feel.

coffeebreak

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2023, 10:37:09 AM »
Two of my RideNow tubes(pink colored) leak air from the valve base. Annoying enough they don't leak while testing with low pressure, the leak starts around 30 psi mark so basically they never go flat but settle at about 25-30 mark down from 80. I can hear the air hissing at the valve hole on the wheel. Anyone had this happen? Don't think I can fix it. When I take it out I don't even see where exactly it's leaking. Both have just 150 miles on them.

sbellote

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2023, 01:31:06 PM »
so, first issues with the RideNows, been using it for around 2 months and today the front tyre simply blewout, luckily I was standing still otherwise could be bad... now I'm trying to figure out what happened

it was a route with many descents (1km max) and I have rim brakes, but I didn't brake to the limit and also the blowout was like 5min after the last down hill in the flat part of the route
we're coming out of winter here, and today temp started at 10C (when I set the front to 90psi, which I usually do) but at the time of blowout it was like 25C, so for sure pressure was higher but it was still a long way to the limit. Tyre max is 110psi (Chalenge Elite clincher)

I'm willing to continue riding TPU, I like a lot the rolling sensation of them and the space saved. I've got the ThinkRiders installed now, and will try to run lower pressures to see what happens.
But not gonna lie this got me concerned, if it blewout when I was riding it could get ugly.. so better to try to understand what happened and how to avoid it (or reduce the risk, at least)

Two of my RideNow tubes(pink colored) leak air from the valve base. Annoying enough they don't leak while testing with low pressure, the leak starts around 30 psi mark so basically they never go flat but settle at about 25-30 mark down from 80. I can hear the air hissing at the valve hole on the wheel. Anyone had this happen? Don't think I can fix it. When I take it out I don't even see where exactly it's leaking. Both have just 150 miles on them.
if the leak starts with 30psi then I imagine testing the tube alone won't work (like submerging in water to see the leak)
so I'd try using soap foam (with a sponge) or even spit can sometimes work to reveal the leak.
If it's indeed the base of the valve, then it's defective, I'd contact the seller or ridenow to see about a replacement. But maybe if you add some superglue or something similar, that could penetrate the space between the valve and the valve tube and seal it