Author Topic: Kabon 29er emtb  (Read 2473 times)

endo.alley

Kabon 29er emtb
« on: November 26, 2022, 02:59:20 PM »
I have been getting ads on Alli Express for a "Kabon" brand enduro geometry carbon frame/ bafang motor combo. Does anybody have any opinions of these bikes? Seems like a great price for a modern geo bike if it is any good.

carbonazza

Re: Kabon 29er emtb
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 03:35:30 PM »
Could you post the link?
I can only find foldable bikes called Kabon  8)

endo.alley

« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 08:23:13 PM by endo.alley »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 10:18:29 AM »
Looks pretty great on paper.

endo.alley

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 12:51:24 PM »
I wonder if the frame supports the Bafang M820 motor?

arrkaye

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 08:24:20 AM »
Any thoughts or updates on this one?

Im tempted to leap given it looks like a good fit for me.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_ExtDhDF

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 12:34:59 PM »
Any thoughts or updates on this one?

Im tempted to leap given it looks like a good fit for me.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_ExtDhDF

If you ride medium/17” frames I don’t see any downside…this is basically the Flybike/Carbonda e-bike version of a FM1002 with slightly more rear travel, higher leverage and a non-trunnion shock.

I think this frame is also available from Carbonda if you need other sizes…and they’d probably be better to deal with long term if you ever need replacement parts for the linkage etc.

endo.alley

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 02:47:43 PM »
If you ride medium/17” frames I don’t see any downside…this is basically the Flybike/Carbonda e-bike version of a FM1002 with slightly more rear travel, higher leverage and a non-trunnion shock.

I think this frame is also available from Carbonda if you need other sizes…and they’d probably be better to deal with long term if you ever need replacement parts for the linkage etc.

The Carbonda FM E-1126 looks great. It is designed for a Shimano ep800 motor as opposed to a Bafang motor in the Kabon. I am not sure of the availability of Shimano motors as a one-off purchase.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 08:47:33 AM »
The Carbonda FM E-1126 looks great. It is designed for a Shimano ep800 motor as opposed to a Bafang motor in the Kabon. I am not sure of the availability of Shimano motors as a one-off purchase.

Right — I didn’t notice that part! Interesting how similar the designs are otherwise. That’s what had me convinced they were the same.

EP800s are available on eBay at least, though they mostly appear to be used…

endo.alley

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 01:02:22 PM »
I think Shimano has an improved version of that motor coming out this spring.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 05:46:47 PM »
I think Shimano has an improved version of that motor coming out this spring.

Yeah the EP801 looks pretty good, some more sophisticated software and the ability to apply full 85nm torque in more situations/a wider cadence range. I think the mountings are unchanged but can’t seem to find a specific answer to that with a quick Google search.

From what I’ve heard a lot of high end e-bikes are being updated with these as the key feature for 2023 so who knows what availability will be like…my guess would be “constrained.”

But unless you’re doing short rides that need maximum torque a maximum % of the time, it doesn’t sound like an absolutely must-have upgrade. The actual motor isn’t changed much as I understand it.

Firon

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2024, 10:48:22 PM »