Author Topic: Elves Falath EVO 2023  (Read 23634 times)

patliean1

Re: Elves Falath EVO 2023
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2023, 12:57:39 PM »
4 years since its release and the Winspace T1500 is still my choice for the price over Elves, Yoeleo, SEKA, and even the new Elilee BLIZE. However, it doesn't mean I'm not curious about eventually testing those frames. The T1500 has aged very well and Winspace spent enough budget to give themselves street credibility here in American Cycling.

T1500 is the only frame I can't see myself selling. Even over my new Giant Propel Advanced Pro.

mr.garlando

« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2023, 01:27:46 PM »
Hi, just built up a ELVES FALATH EVO with their OROME TH50 wheels. Everything is fine except one thing where I need your opinion. On the front wheel I notice a slight play in the hub when I push the wheel left and right, when I knock on the wheel I can heare a rattle. Nothing of that on the back wheel which is rock solid. Through axle fixed with 6Nm and threads greased. I know the hub is a copy of a dt swiss 350 road. They have preloaded bearings installed and require a certain amount of axial force to release the pretention in order to have minimum friction. Apparently that's not perfectly working in my hub. But increasing the torque to 8Nm helps a bit. Should I increase the torque to 10-15Nm? Anyone having a similar issue? Thanks

ENEP

« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2023, 11:53:03 PM »
Hi, just built up a ELVES FALATH EVO with their OROME TH50 wheels. Everything is fine except one thing where I need your opinion. On the front wheel I notice a slight play in the hub when I push the wheel left and right, when I knock on the wheel I can heare a rattle. Nothing of that on the back wheel which is rock solid. Through axle fixed with 6Nm and threads greased. I know the hub is a copy of a dt swiss 350 road. They have preloaded bearings installed and require a certain amount of axial force to release the pretention in order to have minimum friction. Apparently that's not perfectly working in my hub. But increasing the torque to 8Nm helps a bit. Should I increase the torque to 10-15Nm? Anyone having a similar issue? Thanks

Most thru axles are speced to somewhere into range 10-15nm. Some weight weenie axles down to 8nm. Never heard of 6nm for a thru axle.

What’s the rated torque spec from elves?

mr.garlando

« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2023, 01:07:41 AM »
6Nm written on the axle which came with the frame

mr.garlando

« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2023, 01:59:44 PM »
I cranked up the axle torque to 12Nm and it seams to be better now. Not perfect because there is still a tiny bit of play but I can live with that I guess.

PLA

« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2023, 11:13:13 PM »
I cranked up the axle torque to 12Nm and it seams to be better now. Not perfect because there is still a tiny bit of play but I can live with that I guess.

That doesn't sound right. I'd contact the manufacturer to get a warranty replacement.
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

mr.garlando

« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2023, 06:55:36 AM »
I consider myself now as an expert in DT Swiss hub design  ;D  :P

The ELVES front hub is basically a copy of the DT Swiss 350 road straightpull and the back hub a DT Swiss 240.

On my front hub copy the bearings were not properly pressed in, therefore they had too much clearance or in other words the preload on the bearings was too low. So I pressed them in and since then they are rock solid and smooth.

And I cranked up the axle torque to 12Nm.

jonathanf2

« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2023, 12:04:16 PM »
That's a sharp looking frame! I saw one Japanese YT'er using his Falath EVO for cyclocross making full use of the wider tire clearance!

Regarding the front fork TA mount being a bit loose, one of my carbon frames also had a similar issue, but on the rear TA. I thought my frame was out of spec, but the vendor recommended I just torque it down until there was no more play. Eventually it settled into place after awhile and didn't require being tightened down as much. Did the frame ship with plastic thru axle holders in place? If so, it might have stretched the fork out of spec slightly.

repoman

« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2023, 12:23:38 PM »
Badass looking ride!

mr.garlando

« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2023, 03:38:23 PM »
That's a sharp looking frame! I saw one Japanese YT'er using his Falath EVO for cyclocross making full use of the wider tire clearance!

Regarding the front fork TA mount being a bit loose, one of my carbon frames also had a similar issue, but on the rear TA. I thought my frame was out of spec, but the vendor recommended I just torque it down until there was no more play. Eventually it settled into place after awhile and didn't require being tightened down as much. Did the frame ship with plastic thru axle holders in place? If so, it might have stretched the fork out of spec slightly.

Tire clearance on this frame is huge, even a 32 looks small  ;D
No the fork is fine and the play in the bearings is gone as I mentioned. I think it was just poorly assembled or lack of quality control.

patliean1

« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2023, 05:05:00 PM »
I really love that shade of blue. Great job! Do you recall what color code it was?

mr.garlando

« Reply #146 on: December 24, 2023, 10:03:29 PM »
I really love that shade of blue. Great job! Do you recall what color code it was?

Thanks, I am very happy the color turns out to look in real because on screen it's always a gamble.
According to ELVES the color code is dark blue B-003. Initially I wanted blue B-005 but that one is obsolete. Attached is a frame with B-005.

Timuk

« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2024, 11:42:26 AM »
Bike build completed - just some tweaks needed on brakes.

Weight comes out at 6.8kg as pictured - set up for next few months with gears to get up Flanders hills.  Will probably put bigger ring and my Farsports 69mm tubs for summer (calm) days which will lose about 300g.

Will give a view on how it rides in next few weeks.

zerstorer

« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2024, 09:24:17 PM »
Is that a smaller size? Getting it down 6.8kg is impressive.

Timuk

« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2024, 03:23:42 AM »
Yes.  Size 46.

Sram Red mechanical (with Ratio Tech convertor to get to 12 speed) helps too.  Elite Edge wheelset pretty good weight with Michelin Power Cup Clinchers/ TPU tubes.  Otherwise Galfer rotors, Hope brakes, Kocevlo (Ali Express) saddle, Pass Quest Chainring, and titanium bolts.

Only real weightweenie item is Aerolite Pedals.