Author Topic: ICAN X-Gravel Build Advice  (Read 2767 times)

TidyDinosaur

Re: ICAN X-Gravel Build Advice
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2023, 10:11:48 AM »
You could even go for 105 or ultegra shifters if you can find them cheaper. But since grx is geared toward gravel I decided is was not worth saving another 50 eur.
You can find entire very nice 105 or ultegra groupset for 400-600 here. You can sell the cranks (or use the 105 ones with 1 chainring) and get the 812 derailleur

Linsook

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2023, 07:04:39 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Nice looking build. That's good to know about the ZRace, the only reason I chose it over a Senicx was that I could hopefully swap the crank for a power meter for something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004037838759.html

Do you think the ZRace spacing problems could be overcome with the correct spacers or an aftermarket preload ring (if compatible)?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003308072016.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003873595578.html

Or do you think the GR2 is definitely the way to go?

Curious how you are getting on with your gearing. I'm still undecided on 44 or 42 at the front and 11-42 or 11-46 at the back. How are you finding it on the low and high end? I was leaning towards the 11-42 for tighter spacing but unsure if that would have left me without as many climbing gears.

I personally think the Senicx is the way to go.  The Senicx GR2 is a dub 29mm spindle and also direct mount chainring.   If you get a direct mount power meter you'll need a new BCD chainring which are cheap on Ali.   if your heart is set in the Zrace go for it.    It's still going strong on my bike.  Love the look. 

In terms of gearing. My set-up is perfect for my occasional gravel but mainly used on road .  Good all rounder. 

I think TidyDinosaur brings up a good point about GRX if you can find it at a good price point and you're willing to fork out.
For me personally,  wayyyyy too expensive. 

with LTWoo out with their hydra groupset, Sensah supposedly will be following with their own and an electronic option. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 08:04:13 PM by Linsook »

hadero

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2023, 12:31:32 AM »
Frame has been dispatched so need to come to a conclusion on groupset. I'm leaning towards sacrificing some budget on the wheels to go with Rival XPLR eTap 12 speed.

Aside from the rear derailleur, shifters and brake calipers, is there any room for cost saving on alternative parts? Thinking crankset, cassette, chain and rotors don't have to be Rival, but I'm not completely sure on the compatibility. Cassette especially as I was hoping to avoid XDR and get something like an 11-44 instead of 10-44, so I can get a cheaper wheelset and save a bit on the cassette itself.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2023, 01:25:29 AM »
I would not try to save money on the cassette... Chances are you will wear out 3 cheap cassettes for 1 SRAM cassette. I learned the hard way...

jefflinde

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2023, 10:16:29 AM »
I have built with the SRX groups and it is hard to beat.  The GRX stuff is obviously nicer but also double the price.  if you are just getting into gravel then I would say go the Sensah route.  try to get the hybrid calipers, cable actuated but hydraulic pistons.  they have much better feel and power than the full mechanical calipers.  the ZRACE and others similar are very nice for the cost.  Juin Tech are also very nice but much more costly.

hadero

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2023, 02:17:57 AM »
My frame arrived yesterday, super quick process from start to finish. For reference, I paid on 10th Feb and was told 3-4 weeks for painting (just a gloss coat) and 15-25 working days for shipping. So it should have been early to middle of April. No taxes due in UK via WXY (they prepaid them).

Looks great on first impressions. I couldn't spot any paint or carbon defects, but I'll take some photos when I come to build.

I hadn't ordered anything else so had to commit on the rest of the parts yesterday.

Generic carbon bar and stem from AliEx (looking to test the fit before commiting to an integrated bar and stem). Then sourced Rival eTap XPLR parts locally. Rival 40T 1x with the 10-44 XPLR cassette, Rival brifters, chain, rear derailleur, brakes. Paceline Rotors. Still need wheels and tyres. Hoping to find something on eBay but if not I'll eventually cave and get something budget.

I think the only tools I'm lacking is a torque wrench in the higher range for BB/crank and something to bleed the brakes with. Any recommendations?