Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-066 Rim brake (not dead yet?)  (Read 5208 times)

jefflinde

Re: Velobuild VB-R-066 Rim brake (not dead yet?)
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2023, 08:09:42 PM »
Wow, sub 7Kg!…. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out with interest!

I’ll be ordering my frame next week and start scouring the net for parts :)

Any general tips / issues you’ve had buying from China?

My biggest thing with any Chinese bike frame is make sure they are trying to do their own thing.  by this i mean they they are trying to make thier own brand or make a name for themselves.  the fake Pinarello bikes are a prime example of what to avoid.  i feel it is one thing to copy frame geometry and design ideas vs trying to fool people into thinking they are getting the real thing.  If they have their own website and are using their own name they generally i have had good luck.  the only time i have heard of (never had issues myself but i dont buy imitations) issues is with the frames that are trying to look real for 50% the price. 

I have always just bought the frames and then sourced the other parts elsewhere.  i am a bit of a weight weenie so i usually search for lighter options than the frame companies have.  the few times i have gone with bars or stems though they have worked great for the limited time they were on my bikes.

jefflinde

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2023, 09:18:44 PM »
Got the bike all built up and i am not just sorting out my fit.  need to swap some stems around and play with where i want to cut the steerer.  with 20"+ of new snow on the ground it will be a while before i make it out side so on the trainer is where she lives.  one thing i noticed was the EE G4 brakes have a very different cable angle once they are set up on the wheel.  i need to get longer housing as they ended up a bit short first time around.   

I got word that the wheels are built and shipped.  they sent some preview shots.  they should be around the 1350g mark so about 300g less than the current wheels.  i think that alone will get me under 7kg. 

johnboot

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2023, 07:32:48 AM »
Got the bike all built up and i am not just sorting out my fit.  need to swap some stems around and play with where i want to cut the steerer.  with 20"+ of new snow on the ground it will be a while before i make it out side so on the trainer is where she lives.  one thing i noticed was the EE G4 brakes have a very different cable angle once they are set up on the wheel.  i need to get longer housing as they ended up a bit short first time around.   

I got word that the wheels are built and shipped.  they sent some preview shots.  they should be around the 1350g mark so about 300g less than the current wheels.  i think that alone will get me under 7kg.

Good to see the bike built up, look forard too hearing your on road review once you have the opportunity / weather to be able to get out.

Also, thanks for your other reply re experiences etc with buying from China. Yeah, I’m with you re buying from companies trying to make a name for themselves rather that just replicas.

Have you tried out any group sets such as sensa?…. or stick wit the mainstream on that side of things

jefflinde

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2023, 09:54:29 AM »
Good to see the bike built up, look forard too hearing your on road review once you have the opportunity / weather to be able to get out.

Also, thanks for your other reply re experiences etc with buying from China. Yeah, I’m with you re buying from companies trying to make a name for themselves rather that just replicas.

Have you tried out any group sets such as sensa?…. or stick wit the mainstream on that side of things

Yes, the bike that this velobuild frame is replacing is a GT GTR elite frame with the Sensah Empire Pro 2x12 group set.  It was the full group set with the CVR hard rock crankset.  I was actually quite impressed with it over all.  Runs very quiet while on the trainer and shifts well.  I would be lying if I didn't say there was a definite difference between the Sensah and my Dura Ace group but the is.  However, if I were looking at spending the 700$ or so for a 105 group set I would really have to think twice about the Sensah.  It is really good.  It would be even harder if you are used to or prefer the Sram shifting method. I am really in love with how Shimano shift so I know that makes me bias but if you are a Sram guy already then I would say go Sensah.  A friend build a gravel bike with the SRX group set and I built it up for him.  Same basic comments there as well.  Super impressed and it works really well. That was the main driver of me getting the empire set.

If you have any questions please let me know.  Happy to answer.

MtbNewbie

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2023, 07:21:15 AM »
Yes, the bike that this velobuild frame is replacing is a GT GTR elite frame with the Sensah Empire Pro 2x12 group set.  It was the full group set with the CVR hard rock crankset.  I was actually quite impressed with it over all.  Runs very quiet while on the trainer and shifts well.  I would be lying if I didn't say there was a definite difference between the Sensah and my Dura Ace group but the is.  However, if I were looking at spending the 700$ or so for a 105 group set I would really have to think twice about the Sensah.  It is really good.  It would be even harder if you are used to or prefer the Sram shifting method. I am really in love with how Shimano shift so I know that makes me bias but if you are a Sram guy already then I would say go Sensah.  A friend build a gravel bike with the SRX group set and I built it up for him.  Same basic comments there as well.  Super impressed and it works really well. That was the main driver of me getting the empire set.

If you have any questions please let me know.  Happy to answer.

I'd be really interested to know if this will clear 28c to 30c tires. I have a new carbon 28mm aero rim brake wheelset from light carbon and did not pull the trigger on 066 frame because it said 25c clearance.
https://www.lightcarbon.com/lightcarbon-r28-economical-carbon-wheel-rim-brake-700c-road-carbon-wheel-with-cheap-price_p167.html

Please let me know.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 07:35:27 AM by MtbNewbie »

jefflinde

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2023, 07:13:23 PM »
NERD ALERT post.  Still waiting on the wheels and as soon as they are in i will double check the fit for those waiting on whether a 28C or 30C tire will fit.  I did however get some total nerd parts in.  Some people love weight weenie parts and some don't, i am one who does.  feel free to ignore this post if you are not. 

Elita one seat post came in, 135g which is 60g less than stock velobuild
SRACE 11-28t cassette 195g
Carbon bottle cage x2 - 12.8g vs 45g
titanium bolts a plenty!
 Bottle bolts, seat binder bolts, jockey wheel bolts and brake pad and brake cable clamp bolts  30.1g vs 16g. 

MtbNewbie

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2023, 09:36:47 PM »
NERD ALERT post.  Still waiting on the wheels and as soon as they are in i will double check the fit for those waiting on whether a 28C or 30C tire will fit.  I did however get some total nerd parts in.  Some people love weight weenie parts and some don't, i am one who does.  feel free to ignore this post if you are not. 

titanium bolts a plenty!
 Bottle bolts, seat binder bolts, jockey wheel bolts and brake pad and brake cable clamp bolts  30.1g vs 16g.

Eagerly awaiting 28mm wheel clearance:)

jefflinde

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2023, 10:15:19 PM »
Me too cause that will mean i have my new wheels.  haha.  i will post them ASAP.

johnboot

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2023, 01:11:45 PM »

titanium bolts a plenty!

When you get the wheels, will be interested to see your total bike weight with everything on

MtbNewbie

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2023, 02:03:52 PM »
When you get the wheels, will be interested to see your total bike weight with everything on

Are we there yet..... :D

jefflinde

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2023, 08:14:30 PM »
Are we there yet..... :D

OMG I know.  Not yet.  Tracking says landed in US on 3/1.  Not sure why USPS didn't drop everything to drive my package directly to my door with no stops or interruptions.  Hahahha.   Hopefully in the next few days.   

MtbNewbie

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2023, 09:04:43 AM »
Hey, What is going on here. We demand you get the wheels and provide the specs... people's lives are on hold!!!

;D ;D

jefflinde

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2023, 09:14:26 PM »
Hey, What is going on here. We demand you get the wheels and provide the specs... people's lives are on hold!!!

;D ;D

Haha. My life is on hold!!   These went into some shipping black hole (I assume customs).   No movement since 3/1. 

bhamham

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2023, 05:20:53 PM »
On my 066, the front brakes easily fit GP5000 28mm and the rear brake looked fine too though I haven't ridden it outside and only on the trainer.  I'm on some 7-8 year old farsport rims.

hazzer19

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2023, 05:22:50 PM »
On my 066, the front brakes easily fit GP5000 28mm and the rear brake looked fine too though I haven't ridden it outside and only on the trainer.  I'm on some 7-8 year old farsport rims.

Nice build! Don't normally like blue, but this looks nice