Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-066 Rim brake (not dead yet?)  (Read 5209 times)

MtbNewbie

Re: Velobuild VB-R-066 Rim brake (not dead yet?)
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2023, 07:26:28 PM »
On my 066, the front brakes easily fit GP5000 28mm and the rear brake looked fine too though I haven't ridden it outside and only on the trainer.  I'm on some 7-8 year old farsport rims.

Please check if it would clear these 28mm rims. I'd be grateful to you!!

jefflinde

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2023, 08:48:32 PM »
On my 066, the front brakes easily fit GP5000 28mm and the rear brake looked fine too though I haven't ridden it outside and only on the trainer.  I'm on some 7-8 year old farsport rims.

Love that color.  that glossy paint looks so fancy.  what are the actual width of the tires on your rims if you don't mind me asking?

bhamham

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2023, 10:42:32 PM »
Looks like my rim is 25mm wide so not sure if 28mm will fit since the pads are somewhat close.  I'm using ultegra 6800 which apparently shimano says should use 25mm or less tire but can use 24-28mm carbon rim.

I don't have a caliper tool so not that accurate, but looks to be about 26mm wide.

MtbNewbie

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2023, 08:24:38 AM »
Looks like my rim is 25mm wide so not sure if 28mm will fit since the pads are somewhat close.  I'm using ultegra 6800 which apparently shimano says should use 25mm or less tire but can use 24-28mm carbon rim.

I don't have a caliper tool so not that accurate, but looks to be about 26mm wide.

Thanks much!! I was planning to buy brakes that are specifically rated to clear 28mm rims. Not worried about that, was more concerned if the rear stays will clear a 28mm aero rim reasonably well. Thanks again!!

michkus

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2023, 10:21:07 AM »
nice project!

I also built up a r-077/Ltk-118 rim brake frame for fun with r7000 105 and some leftover parts.
Only thing left are some nice wide wheels... I still ride some cheap Mavic Aksium from 2015 with 17mm inner width.
Then it is even lighter and more fun to ride

jefflinde

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2023, 10:10:35 PM »
Sorry to everyone as i still have no new wheels.  however i do have a set of old wheels and some calipers to measure the clearances.  i have installed a tireless wheel so it is easier to see and the results look.  there is a little over 41mm in width where the tire would be and 32mm from the rim to frame in the front (the tires height)  So i am pretty confident that i will be able to sneak 30mm tires in there.  28s will definitely fit

johnboot

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2023, 01:42:15 PM »
Sorry to everyone as i still have no new wheels.  however i do have a set of old wheels and some calipers to measure the clearances.  i have installed a tireless wheel so it is easier to see and the results look.  there is a little over 41mm in width where the tire would be and 32mm from the rim to frame in the front (the tires height)  So i am pretty confident that i will be able to sneak 30mm tires in there.  28s will definitely fit

Thanks for sharing, gives me relief that I’ll be able to install my 28s

jefflinde

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2023, 12:19:27 PM »
FINALLY received my wheels.  they spent almost a month in Customs.  Super happy with them.  final weight came in at 1340g so pretty happy with that.  I am a big fan of the 3k twill pattern.  have not set them up tubeless yet as I am waiting for the official tires to come in.  but I have some random tires on hand and there them on there.   pics are of a 26mm Vittoria.  I had the 28mm Schwalbe on their and I think I will be good to go for my 30mm tires.  it will be close but should have enough room.  I am surprised that the tire width didn't really change from the 15mm ID rim to the 21mm ID rim.  I was expecting it to be a mm or 2 wider. 

these wheels put my build at 6.75kg with pedals and quad lock mount.  both wheels have regular tubes currently so tubeless should drop a little more.  hopefully I can get it out on real road soon but for now it is back to trainer for this thing.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 12:22:28 PM by jefflinde »

johnboot

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2023, 06:46:23 PM »
FINALLY received my wheels.  they spent almost a month in Customs.  Super happy with them.  final weight came in at 1340g so pretty happy with that.  I am a big fan of the 3k twill pattern.  have not set them up tubeless yet as I am waiting for the official tires to come in.  but I have some random tires on hand and there them on there.   pics are of a 26mm Vittoria.  I had the 28mm Schwalbe on their and I think I will be good to go for my 30mm tires.  it will be close but should have enough room.  I am surprised that the tire width didn't really change from the 15mm ID rim to the 21mm ID rim.  I was expecting it to be a mm or 2 wider. 

these wheels put my build at 6.75kg with pedals and quad lock mount.  both wheels have regular tubes currently so tubeless should drop a little more.  hopefully I can get it out on real road soon but for now it is back to trainer for this thing.

Good news finally getting the wheels! Very good overall weight as well! Woulld you mind taking a fill pic of the bike with the wheels on? Interested to see how they look. I’ve finally got my frame in this weekend, so will be commencing the build very soon

jefflinde

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2023, 11:07:59 AM »
Full bike pic. Don’t judge the odd tires.  Just needed something to measure clearances.  30mm tires of any flavor are hard to come by.  Seems to be a popular size. 

johnboot

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2023, 06:08:26 AM »
Full bike pic. Don’t judge the odd tires.  Just needed something to measure clearances.  30mm tires of any flavor are hard to come by.  Seems to be a popular size.

So I’ve finally got mine together. Thanks very much for your tips and progress updates, the 28s fitted comfortably, so I see no issues with 30s at all.

One thing I underestimated was how low the stack was for my fit, I’ve had to put about 55mm of spacers underneath the stem, should I be good with this?…. there doesn’t seem to be any documentation around max recommended.

Very happy with the bike though, did a quick spin around the block and hanging together well… only had one minor quality issue which was one of the frame fittings not sitting flush , but in terms of ride quality, feels really responsive. I now have the confidence to go for the disc version

ENEP

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2023, 07:33:22 AM »
So I’ve finally got mine together. Thanks very much for your tips and progress updates, the 28s fitted comfortably, so I see no issues with 30s at all.

One thing I underestimated was how low the stack was for my fit, I’ve had to put about 55mm of spacers underneath the stem, should I be good with this?…. there doesn’t seem to be any documentation around max recommended.

Very happy with the bike though, did a quick spin around the block and hanging together well… only had one minor quality issue which was one of the frame fittings not sitting flush , but in terms of ride quality, feels really responsive. I now have the confidence to go for the disc version

Recommendations are no more than 30-40mm spacers below the stem. For carbon fork and steerer I personally would not go with more than 30mm just to be sure.

The VBR066 is an endurance oriented frame with shorter reach and higher stack compared to race/aero oriented frames. If the right size for you the VBR066 should offer comfortable fit without 55mm spacers.

How tall are you and what inseam measurement do you have? Which frame size did you order? What stem length do you have?
Can you attach a photo of the bike taken from the side so we can see it's set up?

carbonazza

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2023, 09:18:00 AM »
Recommendations are no more than 30-40mm spacers below the stem...

I've always read the 30-40mm max as well.
But recently on a build for a person who needed more, I asked Carbonda about it.
And they told me I could use the steerer uncut, and that is the maximum it can have. So no problem to add spacers.
Finally we did choose another frame, but I never thought about it this way.

johnboot

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2023, 12:14:00 PM »
Recommendations are no more than 30-40mm spacers below the stem. For carbon fork and steerer I personally would not go with more than 30mm just to be sure.

The VBR066 is an endurance oriented frame with shorter reach and higher stack compared to race/aero oriented frames. If the right size for you the VBR066 should offer comfortable fit without 55mm spacers.

How tall are you and what inseam measurement do you have? Which frame size did you order? What stem length do you have?
Can you attach a photo of the bike taken from the side so we can see it's set up?

Thanks for your reply… Ive got an xs size. The reason for picking this size is I had a bike fit (on my current bike that is a size s, so slightly bigger, for reference a Cube Attain GTC SL) and for that one had to slam and get a very short stem for it to fit.

I’ve attached notes from my bike fit…. I’m 5’7 and inseam 29”. From a reach point of view the xs is perfect, but the head tube really low compared to current bike (hence all the spacers). I’ve got 45mm of spacers at the mo under the stem.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 12:19:27 PM by johnboot »

jefflinde

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2023, 01:27:56 AM »
One thing you could look at doing is getting a longer but steeper stem and then flip it up.  hard to tell from the pics but it looks like your stem is a 6 degree and is angled down.  if you went with a 17 degree stem you could remove a few spacers and have your bars end up in the same spot.