Author Topic: Hubs for gravel wheels compatible with 142mm through axle and 135mm quickrelease  (Read 235 times)

perneto

Hello all,

I'm new here and trying to figure out the specs for my first carbon gravel wheelset.

I'm currently using a QR frame but plan to switch to through-axle in the future, so I'd like to get wheels compatible with both.
IIUC this means though-axle 100 front / 142mm rear + QR adapters.

I see several different types of adapters on AliExpress:
- cap-only adapters
- adapters that go through the axle completely

In addition it seems some hub brands (e.g. DT Swiss, Novatec) sell proprietary adapters?

I'm confused, please help :)

Chiyou

I believe you are on the right track. Whether an axle conversion kit consists of just end caps or end caps with an axle largely depends on the design of the hub. In other words, some hubs are designed in such a way that all you need to do is switch the end caps; other hubs will require more surgery.

Some hubs don't offer any conversion kits at all so you need to carefully research what options are available for the hub model you're interested in. I'd go with hubs from a well-known brand like the ones you mentioned as they'll offer a high likelihood of a successful conversion. As far as the conversion kits themselves are concerned, I am guessing the ones made by DT Swiss are pretty pricy so finding a generic AliExpress substitute is the preferred option.

TidyDinosaur

Novatec 791/792 and 411/412 can do what you want I think. Just check the novatec webshop for the conversion parts.

perneto

Yes, Novatec D411/412 definitely work; so far that's one option I've been offered, as well as an OEM Taiwanese model with 36T ratchet through Peter at xmcarbonspeed.com.

I'm just wondering about what sort of tradeoffs I'd be making. Esp. since opinions of Novatec seem to vary online, and I couldn't find any tests of the D411/412 even though it's been in the market for several years.

TidyDinosaur

The 411/412 are decent hubs. I use them on my gravel and on my roadbike. Have done 1000's of kms with them. They need some maintenance and replacement of the bearings from time to time (I use cheap Ali bearings) but I've not have anything fail on me.
Replacement parts and freehubs are cheap and easy to find.