Author Topic: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame  (Read 33307 times)

mikelmtb

Re: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame
« Reply #285 on: April 29, 2024, 03:45:40 AM »
i only modified the top of the compression plug/ expander because otherwise the stem would have been impossible to get mounted. i did not modify the c-ring (split ring) sitting on top of the bearing.

This Airwolf frame has some mixed things. Some parts are the same as Cervelo (seatpost clamp, stem,....) and some others are same as Specialized (derailleur hanger, headset bearings,...).
For example, I replaced original hanger with direct mount model for specialized, so I can install GRX derailleur without the connection link.

After replacing original bearings (they´re a little bit crappy) with the ones for Specialized Tarmac SL7, I also replaced compression ring (split ring) with the Tarmac SL7 model I bought in Aliexpress. Cables and hoses guiding is better, headset adjust is now much better and has zero play.

Next step will be to replace the compression plug (the one that needs to be sanded to fit stem) with the model that J&L sells, compatible with Cervelo "C" shape fork. Part is on the way and I hope that once installed it has better grip inside the fork. Original one slips upwards if you apply more than a certain torque to the headcap.

Emraize

« Reply #286 on: April 29, 2024, 02:22:24 PM »
This Airwolf frame has some mixed things. Some parts are the same as Cervelo (seatpost clamp, stem,....) and some others are same as Specialized (derailleur hanger, headset bearings,...).
For example, I replaced original hanger with direct mount model for specialized, so I can install GRX derailleur without the connection link.

After replacing original bearings (they´re a little bit crappy) with the ones for Specialized Tarmac SL7, I also replaced compression ring (split ring) with the Tarmac SL7 model I bought in Aliexpress. Cables and hoses guiding is better, headset adjust is now much better and has zero play.

Next step will be to replace the compression plug (the one that needs to be sanded to fit stem) with the model that J&L sells, compatible with Cervelo "C" shape fork. Part is on the way and I hope that once installed it has better grip inside the fork. Original one slips upwards if you apply more than a certain torque to the headcap.

thanks for your advice! i'll further try with your proposed bearings (49.5x40.5x6.5 -> SL7), compressor ring (SL7) and eventually expander (J&L).

Avalius

« Reply #287 on: May 03, 2024, 02:24:12 AM »
Had a hard gravel race here 150k and had a little play in the headset again after riding. Maybe I'll need to replace those bearings to, can get it fine on the stand and soft roads. But hard races makes play return :s

this is dog

« Reply #288 on: May 06, 2024, 07:41:20 AM »
Last Saturday I put the bike to test during one of Europe's biggest gravel events, The Traka in Girona, Spain. First time for me and joined the 200km route with 2500m elevation. Bike got some serious beating and did not let me down, it's still in one piece!  ;D

https://www.thetraka.com/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 07:47:52 AM by this is dog »

mikelmtb

« Reply #289 on: May 07, 2024, 06:24:46 AM »
Last Saturday I put the bike to test during one of Europe's biggest gravel events, The Traka in Girona, Spain. First time for me and joined the 200km route with 2500m elevation. Bike got some serious beating and did not let me down, it's still in one piece!  ;D

Nice test for the bike! I´m doing an Ultra also this summer.

A pair of questions:
- Where did you get the cover for the toptube bolts?
- Seat clamp is the original or you bought from Cervelo?

this is dog

« Reply #290 on: May 07, 2024, 07:38:25 AM »
Nice test for the bike! I´m doing an Ultra also this summer.

A pair of questions:
- Where did you get the cover for the toptube bolts?
- Seat clamp is the original or you bought from Cervelo?

Nice! Which one did you sign up for?

I managed to get some original small parts from my LBS; bottle boss cover plate, Downtube and chain stay protectors. The Cervelo seat clamp does not fit, for that reason I sanded the the one that came with the frame and spay painted matte black  ;D

mikelmtb

« Reply #291 on: May 08, 2024, 03:34:04 AM »
Nice! Which one did you sign up for?

I managed to get some original small parts from my LBS; bottle boss cover plate, Downtube and chain stay protectors. The Cervelo seat clamp does not fit, for that reason I sanded the the one that came with the frame and spay painted matte black  ;D

I´m repeating Basajaun ultra gravel, did it also in 2022. 850 kms and +15.000m.  :o

this is dog

« Reply #292 on: May 08, 2024, 02:50:06 PM »
I´m repeating Basajaun ultra gravel, did it also in 2022. 850 kms and +15.000m.  :o

WOWZERS! Lets pray that your bike will stay in one piece! Please post pictures of the after math  ;D

jsiegrist

« Reply #293 on: May 10, 2024, 07:41:40 PM »

What size tires are you running?

this is dog

« Reply #294 on: May 11, 2024, 02:43:28 PM »
What size tires are you running?

I'm currently running Pirelli Cinturato tires 700x45c, but measured they're more like 43mm. There's plenty of clearance left, I bet you could run 48 or even 50c tires without issues.

dhengen

« Reply #295 on: May 12, 2024, 11:01:12 PM »
Somehow i'm still struggling with a bit of headset play:
- the expander sits tight and flush in the steerer tube during and after headset compression

I found the expander needs to sit just a bit under the top of the stem. This way, when you tighten the steerer tube bolt, it can pull the cap down on the stem, while pulling up on the steerer tube. I hope this makes sense, but I think if the steerer tube is perfectly flush with the stem, then the cap has nothing to pull against as you tighten the bolt. I had play that I couldn't get rid of until I took the steerer tube down a bit more and then things tightened up nicely.

Emraize

« Reply #296 on: May 13, 2024, 10:18:21 AM »
I found the expander needs to sit just a bit under the top of the stem. This way, when you tighten the steerer tube bolt, it can pull the cap down on the stem, while pulling up on the steerer tube. I hope this makes sense, but I think if the steerer tube is perfectly flush with the stem, then the cap has nothing to pull against as you tighten the bolt. I had play that I couldn't get rid of until I took the steerer tube down a bit more and then things tightened up nicely.
This is completely clear and makes sense of course. However some users mentioned that the expander moves out of the steerer tube while compressing the system. I just wanted to note that the expander sits tight in the steerer tube in my case.