Author Topic: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame  (Read 33578 times)

daforce84

Re: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2023, 11:01:07 PM »
Sorry but as the bike is fully built I won't be able to help with that.

I did post a photo down the seat tube on this post http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4109.msg45930.html#msg45930. It was very clean.

Other than that, I can only comment that I didn't notice any anomalies when building the bike up. The BB went together fine, same with fork and headtube.

Someone else may be able to provide photos when they receive a frame.

Have you gotten any rides in yet? How does it handle? is the ride stiff or comfortable? how are the handlebars (comfy or stiff?)

Also, does the downtube have the holes to attach a downtube protector?

Brady

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2023, 01:58:33 AM »
I used 140mm rear rotor. Fitted without an adapter. I have 160mm front, 140mm rear.

I'm guessing you would need Shimano SM-MA-R160-DD 160mm Flat Mount Rear Disc Brake Adaptor.

Thanks that’s exactly the part I needed and works  160mm rotors

viktorN

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2023, 04:08:05 PM »
Very eager as well to get hold of your first riding impressions =)
Particularly curious how it handles, if it feels responsive vs relaxed, sharp steering or understeering etc.

cheers

timjen

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2023, 01:07:01 PM »
Hi folks,

my frame arrived some weeks ago - assembling was a little bit tricky, for example the bottom bracket-area was very very tight, so I really had to cool the bearing down, but finally it went in. The biggest problem is the front end - I don't know if this is because of the painting or the frame hasn't the right measurements: First the Headset-Cover above the steering tube was to tight, so there needed to be d-shape microspacer, which Airwolf sent me really fast.

But the same problem occurs on the other side below the steering tube - when tightening the headset you can't steer. Unfortunally I got I nice scratch on top of the fork, but that's ok. The bigger problem is a) there a no bigger bearings in this size available here in Germany (49,5mm outerside, 38,5mm inner and 6mm height) and microspacer aren't available in 1 1/2" --> because of the shape of the bearing/fork/steering tube I can't imagine how a microspacer at this point should work. So for now I am waiting 2 weeks for a solution from Airwolf - at the moment I am really disappointed and think everything is trash.

Problems in the beginning of the project: I ordered the stock pink frame - Airwolf sent two times painted pictures of a reddish one - finally they got it and the color is amazing. When everything arrived I recognized that the seatpost was matte and the stem/handlebar were glossy - nowhere is mentioned that this is the way it is send when you order a glossy frame. After all I bought a new stem in matte and a handlebar from another brand with more flare.

So, this is my 4th chinese frame and till now it's the badest - from the beginning just problems, if the huge one with the down bearing of the headset cannot be solved I think I need a new frame, it's really a shame.

Anyone has an idea of solving this? As written a microspacer would be great, but I don't think it can work at this place because of the shape of the bearing.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 01:08:55 PM by timjen »

daforce84

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2023, 12:36:54 AM »
Hi folks,

my frame arrived some weeks ago - assembling was a little bit tricky, for example the bottom bracket-area was very very tight, so I really had to cool the bearing down, but finally it went in. The biggest problem is the front end - I don't know if this is because of the painting or the frame hasn't the right measurements: First the Headset-Cover above the steering tube was to tight, so there needed to be d-shape microspacer, which Airwolf sent me really fast.

But the same problem occurs on the other side below the steering tube - when tightening the headset you can't steer. Unfortunally I got I nice scratch on top of the fork, but that's ok. The bigger problem is a) there a no bigger bearings in this size available here in Germany (49,5mm outerside, 38,5mm inner and 6mm height) and microspacer aren't available in 1 1/2" --> because of the shape of the bearing/fork/steering tube I can't imagine how a microspacer at this point should work. So for now I am waiting 2 weeks for a solution from Airwolf - at the moment I am really disappointed and think everything is trash.

Problems in the beginning of the project: I ordered the stock pink frame - Airwolf sent two times painted pictures of a reddish one - finally they got it and the color is amazing. When everything arrived I recognized that the seatpost was matte and the stem/handlebar were glossy - nowhere is mentioned that this is the way it is send when you order a glossy frame. After all I bought a new stem in matte and a handlebar from another brand with more flare.

So, this is my 4th chinese frame and till now it's the badest - from the beginning just problems, if the huge one with the down bearing of the headset cannot be solved I think I need a new frame, it's really a shame.

Anyone has an idea of solving this? As written a microspacer would be great, but I don't think it can work at this place because of the shape of the bearing.

Do you have any photos of the headset parts that it came with, and how you currently have it setup as? do they align with what's shown in this figure? I'm also curious about the paint, any photos would be appreciated!

timjen

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2023, 04:35:40 AM »
I will send more tonight - but both bearings are the same size (not as shown). I tried a 49,5 / 40,5 / 7mm, but the 40,5 is too big.

timjen

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2023, 02:08:23 PM »
So, here I am again - thanks for your thoughts.
It's really hard for me to discribe my problems in english, but I think you can see what I meant.
The upper and lower bearings are the same size - I think it is 49,5mm x 38,5mm x 6mm. So I ordered the only one that I could find with such a measurement about 49,5mm x 40mm x 7mm. The height might work, but because of the bigger innerring the bearing slips deeper on the fork, so that I have not one anything with this try. 49mm bearings are more common, but would it slip in the steerer tube?

Airwolf wrote today, that their mechanics think a microspace would work and they would send it to me soon. But again, I can't imagine where to place this because of the angles on the bearing and fork/frame. On the upper bearing placing a microspacer is no problem between Cap and ring...

l45er

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2023, 11:21:30 PM »
Mine is a bit tight between fork and bottom of head tube but I can still steer and turn handlebars with the top cap tightened and no play in the headset. It seems in my case to be paint rub on the top part of the fork.
I lightly greased the top fork painted surface where it interfaces with the head tube and that loosened it up a bit. On mine it is slightly stiff but not impacting on my ability to ride or steer the bike.

In terms of riding and how the bike performs, I haven’t had a chance to ride mine a lot but it seems to ride well. Seatpost was slipping on initial ride as it’s a glossy black finish so added some carbon paste to fix that. It’s a bit more relaxed than a road bike but still rides well on the road with the tyres I have on it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 02:29:58 PM by l45er »

Jim.de

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2023, 05:40:44 AM »
Hi Tim,

it´s a shame, your build looks fantastic!

I don´t understand why you have this problem but others don´t. Should be a problem within the fork and/or frame.

I hope mine will be here the next two weeks, will let you know how mine went.

Greetings from Freiburg
Jim
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 09:08:00 AM by Jim.de »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2023, 05:47:13 AM »
So, here I am again - thanks for your thoughts.
It's really hard for me to discribe my problems in english, but I think you can see what I meant.
The upper and lower bearings are the same size - I think it is 49,5mm x 38,5mm x 6mm. So I ordered the only one that I could find with such a measurement about 49,5mm x 40mm x 7mm. The height might work, but because of the bigger innerring the bearing slips deeper on the fork, so that I have not one anything with this try. 49mm bearings are more common, but would it slip in the steerer tube?

What are the exact specs of the bearings you have now? The dimensions and the angles should be printed on the outside of the bearing...

I see there are 37 - 49 - 7mm bearings on aliexpress. But maybe they would sit too high on the fork...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 05:57:25 AM by TidyDinosaur »

jonathanf2

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2023, 04:43:01 PM »
That fork looks like it needs a crown race. They should be dirt cheap and allow smooth rotation of the fork if your setup needs it. Some of my frames use this, my TFSA frame/fork has the bearing sit directly on top without it.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2023, 12:32:47 AM »
That fork looks like it needs a crown race. They should be dirt cheap and allow smooth rotation of the fork if your setup needs it. Some of my frames use this, my TFSA frame/fork has the bearing sit directly on top without it.

Judging from the pictures I don't think it does...

daforce84

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2023, 01:07:10 AM »
It looks like the fork lacks an integrated like this: https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2020/02/cervelo-aspero-fork.html

the photo above appears to show the fork just having a straight tube.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2023, 02:38:01 AM »
That pictures to me shows there is an integrated race. You can see that the bearing sits higher and not flat on top of the fork.