Author Topic: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame  (Read 34823 times)

Honda118

Re: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2023, 07:55:07 PM »
The frame does not come with any stickers.

Honda118

« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2023, 07:56:16 PM »
Except for the fork issue this is a very good frame in my opinion. It did take a lot of extra parts to get it to the place we wanted but it is really good so far.

Sakizashi

« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2023, 11:03:06 PM »
I know I am new-ish around here and there is a lot more acceptance of replica frames here than in other places. However, I don't really understand the point of adding a UCI logo to non-approved frame unless the point was go beyond adding the Cervelo logo on the HT to convince people that this is a real Aspero 5 or convince a race judge that this is an approved frame for use somewhere.

In general, I love the idea and geometry of this frameset. It's too bad IMO that they copied the downsides of this frameset along side the good things. I would have loved to see an aggressive gravel race bike like this or an all-road bike that used a round tube steerer, 52mm bearings lower and upper and a t47BB, either an asymmetric one or a normal one.

kubackje

« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2023, 02:46:55 AM »
I know I am new-ish around here and there is a lot more acceptance of replica frames here than in other places. However, I don't really understand the point of adding a UCI logo to non-approved frame unless the point was go beyond adding the Cervelo logo on the HT to convince people that this is a real Aspero 5 or convince a race judge that this is an approved frame for use somewhere.

In general, I love the idea and geometry of this frameset. It's too bad IMO that they copied the downsides of this frameset along side the good things. I would have loved to see an aggressive gravel race bike like this or an all-road bike that used a round tube steerer, 52mm bearings lower and upper and a t47BB, either an asymmetric one or a normal one.

Bro chill out. Fuck UCI, this sticker means nothing even if it is original. It tells nothing about the quality of the frame, it's not like some iso certificate or something. In order to get it frame producer, just needs to pay to this greedy organization and the frame dimensions need to be within UCI rules. They don't care about the quality, just about their rules.

Anyway, gravel scene hates UCI and wants to stay away from this corrupt body as much as they can, so that's the bigger reason for not putting this sticker on the frame. But if the owner wants to do it? It is his choice mate, because this frame checks all to boxes of the rules. The manufacturer just did not pay the bribe. It's not like he is putting fake specialized, cervelo, trek sticker.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 02:48:47 AM by kubackjeee »

Sakizashi

« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2023, 11:06:53 AM »
Bro chill out. Fuck UCI, this sticker means nothing even if it is original. It tells nothing about the quality of the frame, it's not like some iso certificate or something. In order to get it frame producer, just needs to pay to this greedy organization and the frame dimensions need to be within UCI rules. They don't care about the quality, just about their rules.

Anyway, gravel scene hates UCI and wants to stay away from this corrupt body as much as they can, so that's the bigger reason for not putting this sticker on the frame. But if the owner wants to do it? It is his choice mate, because this frame checks all to boxes of the rules. The manufacturer just did not pay the bribe. It's not like he is putting fake specialized, cervelo, trek sticker.

There is BOTH a Cervelo logo and a UCI logo on the frame now.

I love gravel and I have no love for the UCI.

What is the point of adding both BOTH logos on your own?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 11:14:08 AM by Sakizashi »

ehvoo

« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2023, 01:28:48 PM »
I think they were just going for a knock off of a Cervelo  :-\

kubackje

« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2023, 02:47:29 PM »
There is BOTH a Cervelo logo and a UCI logo on the frame now.

I love gravel and I have no love for the UCI.

What is the point of adding both BOTH logos on your own?

Did not see the cervelo one. I would not put stickers like that on my own bike with all the custom options available. But I don't really care that the owner did, since it's his bike. You should also. So chill and stop being such a Karen, because you seem to be indignant af by this fact

Sakizashi

« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2023, 03:07:44 PM »
Did not see the cervelo one. I would not put stickers like that on my own bike with all the custom options available. But I don't really care that the owner did, since it's his bike. You should also. So chill and stop being such a Karen, because you seem to be indignant af by this fact

Not sure what is getting under your skin so much, just asking a few questions to understand the mindset here.

I am totally cool with taking the elements of a good design and improving them. I think the patent / trademark system is pretty broken and abused. I am less cool with creating counterfeits with the intent to fool others and if you really believe in the big picture of wanting more brand diversity and more great open mold options, you should also care as counterfeits have historically competed against open mold frames for access to the western market via low volume resellers.

Nice to meet you Mr. Chill, I guess I am Karen.

Honda118

« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2023, 05:19:03 PM »
The internet lol

viktorN

« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2023, 06:54:46 AM »
Cool to hear the riding experience is so positive Honda!
If anyone else orders this frame it would be lovely to see more photos of the internals (BB, up headset area and possible down the downtube etc) to get a better idea of the construction quality.

cheers, and stay kind, we create the world we wanna live in, in every moment, right ;)

Honda118

« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2023, 07:05:49 PM »
Got the "spacer" from Airwolf this week. Useless - did not even fit. Bike is performing very well. It's a great bike - really comparable to my Aspero 5.

Honda118

« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2023, 07:09:39 PM »
Weights are pretty close. The Airwolf is a 1x but it has heavier wheels. Almost everything else is the same. We have a VB-168 and it does not feel as "lively" as a SL7. This bike feels really responsive. When you give it power it really accelerates!

chineesje

« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2023, 06:24:42 AM »
Question for you @Honda, can I use all the Airwolf spacers etc with the cervélo stem? I can buy the cervélo alu stem second hand for 40 euro's (wich I trust more than the airwolf one) but without the spacers.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 08:43:59 AM by chineesje »

Honda118

« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2023, 02:10:33 PM »
Yes - I actually used a mix of Cervelo and Airwolf spacers with the alu Cervelo stem. The carbon stem they sent is ok but for gravel I don't mind having a bit more weight for piece of mind. My Aspero 5 came with a alu stem not carbon.

bikercu

« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2023, 11:20:39 AM »
After my fork also touched my red frame and the headset couldn't be adjusted properly, I also got the spacer.  But it really doesn't work... so it was dismantled again.  then completely sanded the frame on the lower headset bearing until the paint was gone.  Since I had already driven a few kilometers before, I could clearly see drag marks.  After grinding there was finally no more grinding between frame and fork and the headset bearing could be adjusted.  Despite the small improvements, a great frame!