Author Topic: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame  (Read 34885 times)

bichler.bua

Re: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame
« Reply #195 on: January 17, 2024, 10:20:31 AM »
I'm really interested in building up one of these YFR068s (also looking at the GF-002/YFR045 or BXT Gravel 135), but from reading these threads, it sounds like there are so many issues, especially centered around the headset area. I'm wondering if I should be looking at something else instead (it would be my first full-bike build), or if most of these are sorted and it's a really small chance I'l run into the issue, or if the problems have since been solved?

Well, Velobuild is not famous for their headset, either - lots of issues in this forum reported.
I believe not matter if Airwolf or Velobuild: be prepared to sort it out yourself...

jonathanf2

« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2024, 11:24:12 AM »
I don't get why people keep buying Velobuild frames? It seems like they have constant headset issues being reported on here. I've bought two frames from AliExpress (SPcycle and TFSA) and both have been solid. There are a lot more options out there that seem to get over looked due to people easily getting influenced to buy from the same vendors.

p4R4d0x

« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2024, 01:02:45 PM »
Well, Velobuild is not famous for their headset, either - lots of issues in this forum reported.
I believe not matter if Airwolf or Velobuild: be prepared to sort it out yourself...

Oh, yeah, I didn't word this super clearly but I was including all of the frames I mentioned in my "there seem to be so many headset issues" - I feel like every time I find a frame that looks promising, digging into it just reveals a "you might get a frame that looks super cool and kinda works, or you might get a frame that looks super cool and is a gigantic headache that you'll never get to ride." Other than buying a "name brand" or spending more than I'd like to for just building a "bonus bike" to use up some spare parts, I'm having a hard time figuring out which frames are worth looking at.

p4R4d0x

« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2024, 01:08:57 PM »
I don't get why people keep buying Velobuild frames? It seems like they have constant headset issues being reported on here. I've bought two frames from AliExpress (SPcycle and TFSA) and both have been solid. There are a lot more options out there that seem to get over looked due to people easily getting influenced to buy from the same vendors.

This might be a bit of a contradiction - Isn't SP Cycle making the Velobuild frames?

https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3937.msg40840.html#msg40840

jonathanf2

« Reply #199 on: January 17, 2024, 07:46:13 PM »
This might be a bit of a contradiction - Isn't SP Cycle making the Velobuild frames?

https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3937.msg40840.html#msg40840

Could it be one of those situations where one seller sources frames from multiple factories such as Elves?

p4R4d0x

« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2024, 08:47:37 PM »
Could it be one of those situations where one seller sources frames from multiple factories such as Elves?

chineesje

« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2024, 11:41:01 AM »

- it seems like the spacing is off on the rear. There is 3-4mm more clearance on the drive side than non driveside. When L45er measured the tire clearance earlier that seemed to be the case on their bike too. Ive tried a few different wheels and they all line up the same.

I recently received my frame and it has the same problem but worse, the difference in clearance between drive and non-drive side is about 1cm. I messaged Airwolf on Ali express because 1) it just looks bad and 2) it might cause some problems when mounting 40mm tyres.

While waiting for a response I initiated a dispute because the 15 day period was coming to an end. Airwolf asked for a lot of pictures, mainly from the derailleur hanger and then stated a bike shop could fix the problem for $50. This made no sense to me as they didn't even give a solution or cause for the problem. In the meantime Ali offered a $70 refund as the solution. I did not agree and explained it would not be easy for my LBS to fix this problem (don't even know what and how he would need to fix this as Airwolf gave no explanation).

Now Airwolf has offered me to send a new frame (good!) but they are asking to close the dispute if I agree. This seems really fishy to me, do you guys have any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance!

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2024, 12:10:01 PM »
Asking to close a dispute is high on the Ali scamming list (see the Aliexpress reddit) and is generaly advised against...
when you close the dispute the case is closed for Ali and they will not help you again with this problem.

edinhog7

« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2024, 07:24:55 AM »
I had a frame rejected from entry into my country (Brazil), from the seller AIRWOLF EXCLUSIVE SHOP Store. The seller received the frame back and didn't want to refund me, so don't buy from this seller on Aliexpress. He also wanted me to remove the dispute so he could send me another frame, after waiting 15 days and nothing being sent, I continued with the dispute and got my money back.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 02:40:19 AM by edinhog7 »

edinhog7

« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2024, 07:29:27 AM »
No, did not requested any customizations except for the paintjob. Frame comes with two ports between the BB and FD area, one port is covered with a rubber grommet plug.
Where did you do the painting?

this is dog

« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2024, 12:45:02 PM »
Where did you do the painting?

Through Airwolf official store on Ali. I was in touch with shimida@yaoflying.com and received a catalog by mail. All communication went through Ali and paid with Paypal. Looking back, not really a smart move since I can't open a dispute when something goes wrong.

edinhog7

« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2024, 02:38:31 AM »
How much time does it take to complete the painting?

zilcho

« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2024, 09:13:28 AM »
Asking to close a dispute is high on the Ali scamming list (see the Aliexpress reddit) and is generaly advised against...
when you close the dispute the case is closed for Ali and they will not help you again with this problem.

I have an open dispute at the moment and had an email exchange that had gone silent during the dispute but now they are asking me to close it and saying they will then refund me. I will be leaving it open until resolved through AliExpress.

this is dog

« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2024, 10:35:40 AM »
How much time does it take to complete the painting?

Around 8 weeks.

electrolux

« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2024, 03:20:53 PM »
Looking at this frame after my GF-002 was stolen. I want to try something different geo wise and this seems like a good fit particularly with the shorter chainstays.

I would like a fully integrated bar and wondering if you are limited to the stem/bar provided? What would a suitable integrated look like.

Also any new thoughts on the headset or seatpost issues. Happy to deal with them myself if necessary but would be nice if AirWolf are paying attention.