Author Topic: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame  (Read 34792 times)

Jim.de

Re: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2024, 09:55:45 AM »
You are pretty limited because of the d-shape steering tube. You might be able to use a normal stem with a wedge. Ridley produces them, couldn’t find any on ali.

Im selling my frame now, I can get this thing to work but I am pretty pissed because all of the problems and the bad communication from the seller.

Wouldn’t risk to buy one of there are so many issues with it.

electrolux

« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2024, 10:11:58 AM »
You are pretty limited because of the d-shape steering tube. You might be able to use a normal stem with a wedge. Ridley produces them, couldn’t find any on ali.

Im selling my frame now, I can get this thing to work but I am pretty pissed because all of the problems and the bad communication from the seller.

such a shame, its quite a unique frame as far as chiners go. Do you have your eye on an alternative? I'm very keen on the aggressive geo

this is dog

« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2024, 01:20:35 PM »

That's very unfortunate to hear, I guess you're very unlucky. Seems like not all owners run into the same issues like you did. As far on my judgement of the frame, no issues so far. Fingers crossed that I won't run into trouble and need to deal with them once after putting some milage on it. I'm building up the frame as we speak.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 02:06:28 PM by this is dog »

electrolux

« Reply #213 on: February 06, 2024, 03:02:09 PM »
That's very unfortunate to hear, I guess you're very unlucky. Seems like not all owners run into the same issues like you did. As far on my judgement of the frame, no issues so far. Fingers crossed that I won't run into trouble and need to deal with them once after putting some milage on it. I'm building up the frame as we speak.
Keep us updated :D

Jim.de

« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2024, 08:26:11 AM »
such a shame, its quite a unique frame as far as chiners go. Do you have your eye on an alternative? I'm very keen on the aggressive geo

Not really, bought myself an Aethos. Will be enough for some light gravel.

Jim.de

« Reply #215 on: February 07, 2024, 08:32:51 AM »

Hope everything is fine. I had two issues: Headsetplay (top), after complaining they told me I had the wrong centering ring (don´t know if this is the right word for it). They sent me a new one, but it was exactly the same one.
Second issue was the tight clearance between fork und frame. Adapter they sent me didn´t work and I´ve bought a different bearing, which doesn´t fit lengthwise (49 instead of 49,5mm) but builds a little bit higher.

Can anyone sent a photo of the "centering ring"? I bought a cervelo one, but haven´t tried it yet.

Regards,
Jim

this is dog

« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2024, 12:35:37 PM »
I just shortened the steerer tube and installed the entire thing. It fits nicely and there's no rubbing or any play. Fork rotates as intended.

One thing I want to point out. The expander plug did not fit correctly, after tightening it was quite off-center, which made it impossible to slide the stem over the steerer tube. I took a vice and trimmed some material from the most top part of the expander plug (which sits on top of the steerer tube). By doing this, the radius got smaller and was able to assemble the cockpit. Took about 30min to complete the job. Very happy with the result.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 12:37:56 PM by this is dog »

electrolux

« Reply #217 on: February 07, 2024, 01:58:56 PM »
They advertise this integrated bar being compatible with D shaped steerer. Any ideas if it would be suitable? https://a.aliexpress.com/_EJu6eT3

This one is supplied with a wedge https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQL0GvP
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 04:00:22 PM by electrolux »

Jim.de

« Reply #218 on: February 08, 2024, 11:20:56 AM »
The first one needs a wedge aswell. But it should fit with it.

But then you could buy only the wedge and use any stem or stem/handlebar combo.

Be aware, they say measurements are from outside to outside.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 11:23:30 AM by Jim.de »

this is dog

« Reply #219 on: February 08, 2024, 01:00:48 PM »
They advertise this integrated bar being compatible with D shaped steerer. Any ideas if it would be suitable? https://a.aliexpress.com/_EJu6eT3

This one is supplied with a wedge https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQL0GvP

Looking at the cable routing the Ryet integrated handlebar might fit, the second one with the wedge (Black inc. copy) definitely not since the corner the cable needs to make is too tight and the wedge doesn't correspond with the shape of the steerer tube. The original stem provided with the Airwolf frameset the cable runs 'freely' along the steerer tube, there's a separate hole in the stem to route the cables through, which is identical to the ST31 and ST32 Cervelo stems.

Any traditional 31.8 stem should work on the D-shaped steerer tube without the wedge is my guessing.

Wolffcon made it work with a Zipp SL Sprint stem, what I can tell from the pictures.
https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4109.msg53296.html#msg53296
https://chinertown.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4109.0;attach=18751;image

electrolux

« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2024, 01:57:46 PM »
Looking at the cable routing the Ryet integrated handlebar might fit, the second one with the wedge (Black inc. copy) definitely not since the corner the cable needs to make is too tight and the wedge doesn't correspond with the shape of the steerer tube. The original stem provided with the Airwolf frameset the cable runs 'freely' along the steerer tube, there's a separate hole in the stem to route the cables through, which is identical to the ST31 and ST32 Cervelo stems.

Any traditional 31.8 stem should work on the D-shaped steerer tube without the wedge is my guessing.

Wolffcon made it work with a Zipp SL Sprint stem, what I can tell from the pictures.
https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4109.msg53296.html#msg53296
https://chinertown.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4109.0;attach=18751;image
I've seen some people say the stem comes loose on D shape steerer but who knows without giving it a test ::)

The image for the second one (mission/black inc) supplied with a wedge shows the cables routed with the wedge so there should be enough space? Di2 only not mechanical

As you say I doubt any wedge would perfectly fit the steerer as it has a curve instead of being flat. I havent been able to find a wedge that is made for Cervelo but if its made of Nylon or similar a bit of sanding should make it fit.

^image of (mission/black inc) bar linked above from the AliX listing

this is dog

« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2024, 02:10:08 PM »
It might even be possible to install the Mission/Black inc. handlebar without the wedge and use the top cap provided with the frame. The only thing might not be possible is adding additional spacers, unless you trim down excess material to make it fit.

This is how the headset top cap looks like.

electrolux

« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2024, 02:48:19 PM »
It might even be possible to install the Mission/Black inc. handlebar without the wedge and use the top cap provided with the frame. The only thing might not be possible is adding additional spacers, unless you trim down excess material to make it fit.

This is how the headset top cap looks like.
Will still be a couple of months before I'm ready to buy but I will probably order that bar and see how it works. Free returns apparently so shouldn't be a loss if it doesn't work.

timjen

« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2024, 10:05:06 AM »
Finally I am working on my Chinerelo again. Everything is mounted and bleeded, but I can't set up the headset. The expander plug wents up everytime. How tight should the expander plug be? 7nm and montage paste didn't work so far.

this is dog

« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2024, 10:46:02 AM »
Finally I am working on my Chinerelo again. Everything is mounted and bleeded, but I can't set up the headset. The expander plug wents up everytime. How tight should the expander plug be? 7nm and montage paste didn't work so far.

Did you use the expander plug that came with the frameset? You might need to make some adjustments to make it fit like I did. I didn't use any carbon paste, also no torque wrench.