Author Topic: Standert Bicycles (Berlin Brand) - Who Makes Them? Any Alternatives?  (Read 2949 times)

Sebastian

Re: Standert Bicycles (Berlin Brand) - Who Makes Them? Any Alternatives?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 03:42:37 AM »
I agree. I would locate guys like Big Forest Frameworks already more in the expensive boutique sector.
My frame is built by Jacek Orlowski in Sczeczin, Poland. He used to have his workshop in the velodrome and built frames for Poland's national track team when they were still riding on steel frames. So yes, long time ago.
My frameset is made of Columbus Life throughout and I got to decide everything. It is fillet brazed which is considerably more work to do than just welding it (like the Standert frames). I paid around 1200 EUR including paint on frame and fork. So that's a lot cheaper than what Standert is asking for their better steel options.
I can also recommend Antonio Taverna in Padua, Italy. You can find him under his "brand name" https://www.vetta.it/.
His quote was roughly the same as Orlowski's but I went with Jacek as he's closer to me and I picked the frame up.

Especially in Italy, there's lots of these smaller and lesser known builders still around and they're asking very reasonable prices. TBH at this point I'd always go custom, if I was going for a new steel frame again.

rutgervr

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2023, 04:59:42 AM »
When looking for custom steel bikes for me feather cycles is one of the best . Also jaegher is building Nice bikes. I’m thinking of a standert as second bike but i also like the vintage Merckx and colnago. .

mangart

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2023, 02:22:10 AM »
Mason bikes from the UK

https://masoncycles.cc/

pearl

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2023, 01:02:18 PM »
Not sure how classic you are looking, but I ended up picking up a Black Heart All Road Aluminum frame. Has the classic lines, the right amount of internal routing, threaded bottom bracket, clearance for 38mm (40mm without a front mech), nothing proprietary. Feels fast with 28-32mm tires, haven't taken it offroad yet but I know it can handle the chunk.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 01:04:03 PM by pearl »

patliean1

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2023, 01:46:35 PM »
Looking good pearl!

I wanna see if the "steel is real" movement works for me. The problem is the more relaxed and endurance the geometry is, the more I know it won't get used much.

Not exactly saying the steel frame I'm looking for needs to be a full race-machine, but would nice if it was more aggressive than touring.

Mostly likely I'll land on a Standert Triebwerk Disc  8)

Yunglord

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2023, 01:49:44 PM »
Not sure how classic you are looking, but I ended up picking up a Black Heart All Road Aluminum frame. Has the classic lines, the right amount of internal routing, threaded bottom bracket, clearance for 38mm (40mm without a front mech), nothing proprietary. Feels fast with 28-32mm tires, haven't taken it offroad yet but I know it can handle the chunk.

Looks really good!

Sebastian

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2023, 02:14:32 PM »
I can vouch for the quality of PlanetX frames. This is my crit bike. I got this for an absolutely crazy price of 350 GBP new for the set when they sold out the last of these. It’s made of Columbus Spirit HSS tubing with lovely sophisticated tube shapes. Hexagonal downtube and oval top tube. Silly light fork made by Columbus as well (320g uncut). It’s very stiff for a steel frame. 7.9kg for the whole bike as pictured including all accessories. Granted, these are tubulars.
If PlanetX ever sold something similar with discs in the future I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, most of their metal frames are all road/gravel inspired ATM.

pearl

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2023, 12:14:37 PM »
Looking good pearl!

I wanna see if the "steel is real" movement works for me. The problem is the more relaxed and endurance the geometry is, the more I know it won't get used much.

Not exactly saying the steel frame I'm looking for needs to be a full race-machine, but would nice if it was more aggressive than touring.

Mostly likely I'll land on a Standert Triebwerk Disc  8)

I would say this frame isn't too relaxed that its a slouch! It's nice to have options though. My other bikes are a CAAD4 for crits and a Exploro for gravel. this splits the difference.

I almost bought one second hand but was afraid that I wouldn't be able to fit the tires I want on it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 06:31:40 AM by pearl »

pearl

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2023, 08:32:39 AM »
I was right, going through my messages with the guy, he had a 31mm measured tire on the rear, saying he could fit 35s on it. Use that info for what you will!

35 is such a strange size to fit, I think I would want 40mm at the least!

patliean1

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2023, 08:38:18 AM »
I was right, going through my messages with the guy, he had a 31mm measured tire on the rear, saying he could fit 35s on it. Use that info for what you will!

Here in the Midwest (USA) you can basically "get by" on 90% of roads within a 2 hour drive on 32c tires. And the other 10% of roads which are gravel can be done with 38c tires. The majority of country roads are chip seal or well used hard pack gravel.

To your point...35c is indeed a weird size haha

Yunglord

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2023, 10:44:53 AM »

This is an artifact of CX frames that we're made for 33c tires and could fit 35's most likely same kind of jig measurement for the builder.

pearl

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2023, 01:12:47 PM »
I used to think the skinnier tires were faster on gravel, now im trying to slam the fattest tire I can on each of my frames, My 42mm Pathfinders are 44 on my Exploro and I wouldn't go any skinnier than that!

Getting by is one thing, but when its just as fast and more comfortable with a wider tire, it's a no brainer! I did a grave race this weekend and it was smooth, fast and flat. In the past I would have said I could have done it on 32s, but we did 22mph avg for the first 2:30... on 44mm wide tires!

Jmm

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2023, 08:13:12 PM »
Could try Marinoni out of Quebec Canada. They do custom geo and colour for 2150CAD which is a steal. I have their Sterrato frame in Columbus Spirit and Zona. Best bike I have owned.