Other Resources > Maintenance, Mechanics, & Tools

MTB vs Road shifting - is road inherently smoother than MTB?

<< < (2/2)

coffeebreak:
An update/closure to this thread. Got the 12s 6100 cassette today. Quickly got to install and go on a ride. The shifting is near flawless, even the upshifts. The VG sports chain has also been replaced by SRAM NX that I had in reserve. One factor to note though - 12 speed Deore cassette is Microspline only so I had to change my freehub to MS hub. While my previous cassettes were all HG compatible. Not sure if MS cassettes make a difference though HG cassettes are supposed to work fine with Shimano MTB derailleurs.
Anyhoo all is well that ends well.

numberzero:
The springs on MTB derailleurs are harder than on road. Especially with 1x drivetrain.
You see the difference on shimano, without cage lock engaged it's smoother.
It's the same mtb vs road where you don't need the same tension and chain retention thus you can't expect same feeling.

TidyDinosaur:

--- Quote from: numberzero on April 02, 2023, 01:59:15 AM ---The springs on MTB derailleurs are harder than on road. Especially with 1x drivetrain.
You see the difference on shimano, without cage lock engaged it's smoother.
It's the same mtb vs road where you don't need the same tension and chain retention thus you can't expect same feeling.

--- End quote ---
I noticed this too on my Sram 12 speed derailleur for the hardtail I built a few months ago. The chain tension is REALLY high... And I mean really, really high. I have even been thinking of disassembling the derailleur and to look for a solution to this. The shifting is very clunky and noisy...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version