Author Topic: disc brake recommendations  (Read 1039 times)

flyedf

disc brake recommendations
« on: June 14, 2023, 12:36:32 PM »
Juin tech, zoom, Shimano Tourney TX BR-TX805?  I don't have much experience with disc brakes.  building a small gravel bike, shimano 105, 32-35c tire size

00Garza

Re: disc brake recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 04:36:38 PM »
Juin Tech seem to be regarded as the best option for cable actuated brakes, but they are not cheap.

NoGrip61

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 08:30:53 PM »
If you're using 105, why not use shimano hydro calipers?  Maybe a used set or a local new-take-off set?

Cable disc calipers are OK, but if you have the option, go hydro.  Ltwoo also just released a hydro groupset, so you may be able to get the calipers by themselves.  Initial reviews appear to be pretty good and take shimano pads.

nickobec

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 09:26:25 PM »
Juin tech, zoom, Shimano Tourney TX BR-TX805?  I don't have much experience with disc brakes.  building a small gravel bike, shimano 105, 32-35c tire size
Assume you are looking at cable actuated disc brakes using existing 105 shifters. (if you don't have the shifters now, get shifters with hydraulic disc brakes 105, Ltwoo)

Money no object: Juin Tech

Budget but still want to stop: Zoom HB 108 cable actuated hydraulic disc brake (reports close to the Juin Tech add the right brakes pads and good braking, not quite the level of hydraulic disc brakes)

Death wish: regular cable actuated disc brake

flyedf

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 11:21:27 PM »
my 105 are cable.  so looks like it'll be hb 108.  is the 34mm standard spacing on road and gravel frames?  and 140mm discs?

nickobec

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 01:27:21 AM »
...so looks like it'll be hb 108.  is the 34mm standard spacing on road and gravel frames?  and 140mm discs?
I would go the Zoom HB100 it looks like the better mounting option but it does depend on your frame. (sorry about the bum steer just did a quick  search for "Zoom cable actuated hydraulic disc brake" and quoted the first one instead of diving into the various models)

160mm rotors are standard for most gravel bikes (again depends on your frame), and what I ride.

bichler.bua

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 03:07:35 AM »
Cable actuated disc brakes: Juin Tech works great, but their pricing increased significantly over the last years.
Why not try a Onirii BR-05? Not as perfect as Juin Tech but it works fine for me - again: if it has to be cable actuated.
Make sure you use compressionless housing in any case.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 12:30:45 AM by bichler.bua »

flyedf

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 06:48:43 AM »
don't think the hb100 will work.  looks like the mounting bolt spacing for gravel frames are flat mount 34mm frame and 70mm fork(?)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 06:54:27 AM by flyedf »

nickobec

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 07:42:15 AM »
Zoom HB108 is flat mount for road and most gravel bikes (hence you need to check your frame, old frames can be post mount). With flat mount you choose 140 or 160mm rotor size when buying the brakes.

Zoom HB100 are post mount which are for MTB and what I have been playing with recently. You can change to different rotor size with adapter plates.

I have been using Zoom brakes, but on a MTB. Currently their 4 pot hydraulic.

Tijoe

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 12:27:15 PM »
I have the Juin Tech GT-P 4 cable actuated hydraulic brakes on my gravel bike and on one of my 29er hardtails.   Over the past 2 years, I have been liking them less and less.

If you really need to use them "braking a lot on long descents" where heavy braking is required, one will quickly overhead the mineral oil in the brakes causing the piston/pads to expand out onto the rotor, causing even more heat and sometime wheel lock-up.

Over time, I've found what is almost the sweet spot between adjusting the pad clearance from the rotor versus brake heating, versus the lever pull of the brake levers.  But this is short lived because the pads wear fairly fast relative to the lever pull, such that I will find my self having to pull the levers to far in versus the stopping power I am able to generate. Then occasionally I adjust the pads too close to the rotor and then I get overheating of the calipers and rotors.   (Viscous loop of continual adjustment of the calipers.)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 12:28:57 PM by Tijoe »

Tijoe

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 12:47:04 PM »
I want to add that a couple years ago, I went with Juin Tech because they seemed to be a good compromise that let me use regular STI brake levers, and was a good price compromise versus purchasing expensive levers like the GRX.    As many of us know, mtb. bike hydraulic brake levers are all based on mounting to 22.2mm flat bars, and road bike/gravel bike bars are 23.8mm diameter.    This makes mixing and matching hydraulic brake difficult.

My recent discovery and direction I am heading, is swapping my flared out gravel bars out with the Zinno carbon "H" bars.   (Link below.)  Then I have been using the Pro III hydraulic 4-piston brakes.   Overall, for the 29er hardtail I installed this approach on, I have been very pleased.   I purchased another set of Zinno bars and will upgrade to this same approach.

If you are building up a new ride and are in the planning stage, I recommend looking into this approach.  (Some riders don't like the shape and less drop/flare of the "H" bars.)

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804059388076.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.147.6f7d1802PhNG9i&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804577690212.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.10.6f7d1802PhNG9i&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

mtbluvr68

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2023, 07:09:35 PM »
If building a gravel bike, I'd get the L-twoo GRT aluminum 1X12 hydraulic groupset,  at 275 on Ali, its a steal ,and Tracevelo gave a good review of it.  I have TRP HY/RD on my gravel, i love them. 
2021 Tan Tan Seraph FM027  w/Light Bicycle wheels(XC)
2022 Marin Rift Zone 3 w/ elite wheels (trail)
2021 Tideace FMR185 w/Light Bicycle Wheels (road)
2023  Chasing Wind w/ elite wheels (Gravel)