Author Topic: Unreadable Topic: "VeloBuild Headset Play Issue"  (Read 3805 times)

frankpaul1

Re: Unreadable Topic: "VeloBuild Headset Play Issue"
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2023, 11:34:55 AM »
It is actually very similar except the height difference. With the Dremel the surface was smooth, but not completely level. But close enough to solve the problem. You could even it out by taping some sandpaper on a flat wood surface and make a few last passes on that to level it out.

NoGrip61

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2023, 07:45:03 PM »
Update: I dremelled a similar slot to the new design from VB on my "gen 2" C-Ring and I believe it worked!  I just built up a CX-002 with the full internal handlebars and after road ride and a 40 mile gravel/rough-road/dirt-road ride, I think it's safe to say there is no headset play or rattles.  There is a slight creak when I stand on it and mash the pedals, but I think I just need to retighten the headset bolt (things may have settled) and put some carbon paste on the steerer tube.  I'll report back if this fixes the minor issue.

Additional notes:
I DIY spray painted my bike and did not mask off the headset bearing area, so there's a little build up of paint there, which takes up some of the gap around the bearing.  I think some loctite 638 retaining compound may help if your frame is not painted there and has gaps.  Or tape, per Pat's suggestion.

Sakizashi

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2023, 12:12:38 AM »
Just want to point out that a headset that cannot maintain preload is not a minor issue.

Riding a loose headset is the cause of the “ring of death” phenomena found on carbon steerers. In most cases, it’s a result of neglect and a lack of maintenance. In this case, this is a critical safety issue caused by poor design.

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2023, 06:58:18 PM »
I recently received the new velobuild c ring and it is a big improvement! With the original c ring + microspacers or the kocevelo ring + microspacers I still had a tiny bit of front-back play. Had to push forward on the back of the steerer to notice it. With the new ring there is no more play at all! I still had to use some microspacers with the kocevelo bar combo spacers but maybe with the velobuild bar combo it isn't needed now. The new version is much taller and has a larger opening. Here's an album comparing the original c ring and the new version:
https://imgur.com/a/rupJ6Cd

coffeebreak

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2023, 07:49:17 PM »
Definitely a big improvement. I removed all the metal shims from spacers and replaced older no cut-out C ring with latest. That's it. Although there is no difference between height or the opening, as mentioned in above comment. They are exactly the same minus the cut-out.

Fwiw, finishing on the old C ring was better than the newer but I don't care.

Thanks VB for keeping up with improvements in products and also sending them out to existing customers immediately.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 07:53:16 PM by coffeebreak »

NoGrip61

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2023, 09:23:12 AM »
There is a slight creak when I stand on it and mash the pedals, but I think I just need to retighten the headset bolt (things may have settled) and put some carbon paste on the steerer tube.  I'll report back if this fixes the minor issue.
t
After several rides and tightening things down more, it seems that's all it was: my stem/bars were not torqued properly.  I also added some carbon paste to help there.  The only thing that rattles now are the GRX levers, which is a common problem lol.  So, I think this notched C-clip helps with the headset play issue - I am not experiencing any right out of the box on my new build.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2023, 10:27:53 AM »
Just installed the new C ring that Chris kindly sent and it's got rid of all headset play that I have (which was very minor using the original C ring).

As above I must say this is great service by Velobuild to take on the feedback, correct the error and ship the updated part out completely free of charge without any questions asked. Not many mainstream companies would do this let alone 'Chiner' brands.