Author Topic: Issue with carbon layup - Carbonda CFR505  (Read 1034 times)

toekiman

Issue with carbon layup - Carbonda CFR505
« on: April 05, 2023, 11:16:02 AM »
I just received my second Carbonda frame, it's a CFR505 size L and it looks awesome from the outide.
The only issue i have is that there seem to be some carbon "fibers" hanging loose on the inside of the bottom bracket/headset area.

Now my question is: has anyone seen this before on brand new chinese carbon frames ? Should i be worried about further delamination ? shouldn't Carbonda's QC have noticed this during inspection ?

I've already contacted the people at Carbonda about this but haven't heard back yet, this is my second frame, i already own a cfr696 which didn't have these "defects" on the inside. Hence my concern (although 696 uses BSA bb so it's probably easier to hide these things)

kbernstein

Re: Issue with carbon layup - Carbonda CFR505
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 11:41:13 AM »
I had a similar small carbon shaving above my BB on a 696

Asked my LBS who does carbon repairs and he says it's perfectly fine

s3si1u

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 11:42:07 AM »
I don't think I've ever bought a Chinese carbon frame that didn't have a loose fiber or two here and there. I've never been one to worry about what the inside of a frame looks like but all things considered, yours looks quite good to me.

coffeebreak

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 11:58:44 AM »
Not in the BB area but my VB frame had fiber cloth sticking out in the headtube area and also in the downtube. Its been fine though, have about 1.5k miles on it. The real question though is, they are still making 505? I asked Wing from Carbonda late last year and he said its not available.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 12:00:58 PM by coffeebreak »

toekiman

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 12:22:30 PM »
Thank you all for the reassuring replies, i really appreciate it ! Gonna start assembling my bike tomorrow

Not in the BB area but my VB frame had fiber cloth sticking out in the headtube area and also in the downtube. Its been fine though, have about 1.5k miles on it. The real question though is, they are still making 505? I asked Wing from Carbonda late last year and he said its not available.

I asked Katie Tan from Carbonda about it because the page is still available but hidden and she told me that Size L of the cfr505 was still in stock. Perhaps i was just lucky  ;D

coffeebreak

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 12:25:19 PM »
Awesome! It was a really popular frame - some preferring it over 696 even. Good luck with your build. Don't worry about those loose fibers. If anything Carbonda, is generally considered to have good customer service.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 02:15:04 PM »
Awesome! It was a really popular frame - some preferring it over 696 even. Good luck with your build. Don't worry about those loose fibers. If anything Carbonda, is generally considered to have good customer service.

It has been resurrected .. last year it was possible to buy again and now there is a new 505SL available, that can go fully integrated but has the same geometry like the "classic" one.

I love mine

Kactusdog

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 09:56:37 PM »
It has been resurrected .. last year it was possible to buy again and now there is a new 505SL available, that can go fully integrated but has the same geometry like the "classic" one.

I love mine

Holy cow, that’s sick. Can you share some photos? I’d love any info on that you can share. I’m looking for something in this realm. Aero/integrated, 42mm clearance, and slightly more endurance geo is nice.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 02:14:49 PM »
Holy cow, that’s sick. Can you share some photos? I’d love any info on that you can share. I’m looking for something in this realm. Aero/integrated, 42mm clearance, and slightly more endurance geo is nice.

I have the "classic" 505.. so sorry no photos from my side.  ;D
The 505 is not Aero though.

That's the geometry that I have seen in German Forum.
And Someone already has one
Beitrag im Thema 'Carbonda Gravel-Carbonrahmen aus China' https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/carbonda-gravel-carbonrahmen-aus-china.893336/post-18765408

Kactusdog

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 11:16:37 AM »
I just received my second Carbonda frame, it's a CFR505 size L and it looks awesome from the outide.
The only issue i have is that there seem to be some carbon "fibers" hanging loose on the inside of the bottom bracket/headset area.

Now my question is: has anyone seen this before on brand new chinese carbon frames ? Should i be worried about further delamination ? shouldn't Carbonda's QC have noticed this during inspection ?

I've already contacted the people at Carbonda about this but haven't heard back yet, this is my second frame, i already own a cfr696 which didn't have these "defects" on the inside. Hence my concern (although 696 uses BSA bb so it's probably easier to hide these things)

Got any more photos of that paint scheme? Love it. How did you communicate it to the team?