Author Topic: Looking for a disc climbing frameset.  (Read 858 times)

Takiyaki

Looking for a disc climbing frameset.
« on: May 02, 2024, 12:57:21 PM »
Basically something with a round seatpost and ~900/350g frame/fork weight. I'm not super crazy about the Aethos style frames... would def prefer something with a more horizontal top tube like a traditional modern climbing bike

I'm kind of feeling TanTan's R5 ripoff... some folks here built a few (FM6x9)

https://chinertown.com/index.php?topic=4168.0

I like my Dengfu FM208; would love to do an R02 or R12 disc build but they seem to have disappeared. Just wondering what else is out there; seems all the focus is either on aero or Aethos.

FlandersCyclist

Re: Looking for a disc climbing frameset.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 02:51:54 PM »
What do you think of the speeder SC-48D?
Same frame as the winspace SLC I think.
https://www.speedercycling.com/Carbon-Road-Disc-Frameset-SC-R48D-_p346.html

jonathanf2

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 06:13:52 PM »
I'd also be interested in a lightweight climber. You'd think someone could just make an lightweight open mold design with round tubes, round seatpost, T47 BB and 32c tire clearance? I've been eyeballing the Aethos knock-offs, but I wouldn't mind seeing other options.

Takiyaki

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 07:12:23 PM »
There used to be more like the R01/R02, but tire clearance was tight. I think I am OK with 28c as I have a wide wheelset that will help lower pressure.

SC-48D is OK, def a more traditional shape but that squared off front end is a little bit of a turn off. Would like something with plain round tubes or soft edges all around if I could be picky.

PLA

It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

Takiyaki

jonathanf2

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 11:48:07 AM »
Pretty much an Aethos clone

That frame ticks all the boxes for me, but yeah does look like an Aethos. I guess you can only do so much with round tubes!

On a side note. I do have an older SPCycle aero frame with high seat stays, level top tube and less exposed seat post. It's not very comfortable on rough flats. The Aethos style design with the slack top tube allows more exposed seat post, which I would guess make the ride a bit more comfortable.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 11:52:03 AM by jonathanf2 »

Serge_K

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2024, 07:15:47 AM »
SP cycle R025-SL
Yishun R1018 (monocoque)
Velobuild 177 (questionable 32C clerance, old vs others
Lightcycle 17D (bus shaped downtube)
Those are the lightest on my short list. I really like the R025-SL, but it only takes 30C.

I think the SL8 looks very forgettable, and the aethos looks even worse to me. Some frame designs look timeless to me. Not these 2.
I'm over 80kg, too, i dont think i should be riding an aethos, i dont think anyone is claiming it's stiff.

Takiyaki

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2024, 01:45:43 PM »
Johnathan you make a good point about ride comfort and seat stay height. My gripe with the Aethos style frames is their seat stays are so low they almost look like XC bikes. The average newish road bike frame usually gets it right to me.

SP Cycle and Light Carbon have proprietary seat tubes which I don't like for a couple of reasons. R1018 has been on my radar for a while but I don't know where to buy them or what they look like built up.

The Speeder is growing on me. I still don't like the front triangle aesthetic, and I have been warming up to fully integrated cabling. But the weight and geometry is perfect. How much is the R48D with paint? Tantan FM639 is killer value ($600 w/paint).

jonathanf2

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2024, 02:21:04 PM »
Johnathan you make a good point about ride comfort and seat stay height. My gripe with the Aethos style frames is their seat stays are so low they almost look like XC bikes. The average newish road bike frame usually gets it right to me.

The seat stays on the Aethos are right up by the seat post or are you talking about something else?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-aethos-frameset/p/221495

I'm getting more interested in that ICAN frameset, mainly due to the T47 threaded BB and wider 32c tire clearance. It makes it more flexible than the other Aethos clones. That frame could be put into light gravel duty with just a wheel/tire swap. I could also see myself using something like a 48-32t chainring and an 11-34/36t cassette to make it a real low gear climber.

Takiyaki

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2024, 03:18:53 PM »
I'm talking about seat tube length pretty much. Aethos seat tubes are very short relative to the rest of the bike. FL1 is even shorter. I know it's a weird thing to get hung up on but the look of a bike is important to me. Plus I feel like having a lot of seatpost showing isn't great for power transfer. I have a wide wheelset so I'm hoping I can drop pressure with 28c tires vs what I have on my current rim brake bikes.

jonathanf2

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2024, 11:40:40 AM »
I ride both a high seatpost TFSA SL6 clone and an SPCycle frame with more aero/upright geometry. Even though the SPCycle frame has better power transfer, my TFSA frame definitely climbs better since I can "dig" myself more into the cockpit...if that makes sense?

ICAN sent me a price of $595 USD for their FL1 frame + additional shipping cost and $85 USD for custom paint job. It's a sub 800g frame and makes it a bit cheaper than either the Onirii One or the Bigrock frame, though I think it's the heaviest of the Aethos clones.

carbonazza

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2024, 01:55:08 AM »
Pretty much an Aethos clone

But with the option to put an integrated handlebar.
The original is 1 1/8 on top.

Takiyaki

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 10:11:59 AM »
I just ordered the FM639 in a cool color. More to follow....